GUN Cosmoline removal

mentalmidget

Mar 16, 2008
CT
Did a search and there has not been a topic on cosmoline removal in a while from mostly mosin's and other older weapons. Well im an idiot for not taking pictures of the before and after of my mosin removing the cosmoline but here is what i used.

I searched and saw everyone who was using the boiling water method. I didn't want to ruin any pots or do it in the kitchen and make a total mess so i figured whats the next best thing? Steam. Well lets just say this was the way to go. I bought this from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Green-Leaf-El...ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1298340615&sr=1-2

Lets just say after spraying the bolt, barrel and everything else i was amazed to see how quickly the cosmoline just liquefied and dripped right off. I'm thinking of picking up an SKS and going to be going through the same process but i will be taking pictures of my progress with that.

So whats everyone's favorite method of cosmoline removal?

Dim

I'm Lost, Help Me
Aug 26, 2004
California
I threw my SKS in the dishwasher. Was a little hesitant at first but after reading about a few other people's experiences I gave it a try and was very pleased with the result.

Sardaukar

OT Supporter
May 3, 2005
I never bothered to fully clean my stocks. I just wipe them when they start leaking cosmo.

Sardaukar

OT Supporter
May 3, 2005
I did, however, disassemble all of the metal parts and soak them overnight in mineral spirits.

oakback

Aug 25, 2008
N.FL
I've read bits and pieces of cosmoline, cleaning it and such, but why are some guns coated in it?

thegooch

Jan 5, 2008
I've read bits and pieces of cosmoline, cleaning it and such, but why are some guns coated in it?

Guns that were taken out of service and not destroyed were packed away. Cosmoline is a perservative so the guns would not rust corrode etc

cent

Nov 8, 2007
i put it inside a garbage back in the hot summer sun inside my car for a day, most of it drips to the bottom of the bag. then disassemble, boil most small parts in water. barreled receiver and stock gets brake cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan