Credit Card hotness? CSR still even w/ the changes?

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
I've got my credit cards paid off, no new anything coming down the pipe. Credit scores hovering in the low 800s, not because of debt or bad remarks, but seemingly just because overall account life is like 6 years since a new car payment in there.

Ultimately would like travel rewards to use when we can actually fucking travel again.

Most money spent is restaurants, gas, groceries, bills.

Have the dumb revolving 5% cashback Discover and a low interest Visa through my credit union currently. I know neither are great. Seems like what would be best is at least a couple cards.

With the changes to the CSR, the CSP looking pretty good.

60druidgurubash

OT Supporter
Oct 15, 2006
menlo park and los angeles
i like the card but i guess where you plan to travel or whether you want to use the points for airline or hotel would determine if the points are good for you. i've heard chase points aren't good for flying anymore since united changed their redemptions

nnn614

Yup
Dec 14, 2001
Columbus, OH
I'm loving my AmEx Platinum. I don't actually use it for anything other than taking advantage of their offers but it more than pays for itself and the benefits are equal or better than the CSR. I still use my CSR for anything travel-related though - both for the points and the easy travel insurance, which has helped a couple times now.

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
I can easily see the potential. It's more w/ the 550 annual vs CSP.

But 3x vs 2x I guess in the end is a potentially huge deal.

I spend $625 ($550 fee + $75 authorized user) a year, and this was my total of my statement credits for 2020 with travel, pay yourself back, peloton, and doordash benefits... No brainer.

GZ4iIxI.png

Reactions: majesty
TS
TS
imbored

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
I spend $625 ($550 fee + $75 authorized user) a year, and this was my total of my statement credits for 2020 with travel, pay yourself back, peloton, and doordash benefits... No brainer.

GZ4iIxI.png
12k w/ a portion of that being 3x, yep. I can see that equaling a really nice UR total.

Makes sense. If you're spending that much a year, it'll cash out greater and be worth the 550 vs 95 of CSP @ 2x points

Ichinichi

gots me dat midas touch
May 8, 2001
More than you can afford pal. The point is that anything over $625 in credits (or $550 w/o an auth user) and you come out on top regardless. Even if that credit was ($626) it would have been worth having the card.

Uh you could make your point more directly by just telling him how much he needs to spend to breakeven.

pacent

For Teh Nguyen
OT Supporter
Nov 24, 2004
More than you can afford pal. The point is that anything over $625 in credits (or $550 w/o an auth user) and you come out on top regardless. Even if that credit was ($626) it would have been worth having the card.

You're not taking into account the opportunity cost of the next best card.

CSR wasn't worth it to me because I don't know when I'd be able to maximize the rewards via travel, so I just went with the Citi double cash back card.

MassMan

Aug 26, 2004
Somerville, MA
Keep the CSR, silly to get rid of it tbh

sign up for a chase business card, there’s a bunch of dudes on here that’ll probably pay you to use their referral links. Get a chase one to start, they have solid sign on bonuses and low annual fees. then a Amex business card (won’t impact your 5/24 status with chase, people will also pay you to use their referral links) and then go back to getting a new chase card every 4ish months.

TS
TS
imbored

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
bump. it's time.

I really have to be honest and think travel ain't happening anytime soon. Most travel I've done is took the gf for a weekend Dallas trip earlier in the year.

Absolute majority of expense is dining, grocery, gas, and then normal bills.

I think I'm between CSP and Amex Gold.

I'm not sure which I'd utilize most. Cash back for statement credit or just racking up points forever for an eventual trip. I'm a dreamer and think I'd like to just endlessly rack up points.

popey

OT Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
In branch application gets you the first annual fee waived or if you have a friend you can get them to set up a referral link so they get 20k points and you can ask him to spot you $100 to split that value

popey

OT Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Search and make sure you do the proper steps for CSP and it’s been long enough if you got the CSR bonus in the past

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026