FIT critique my 5x5 routine - Advice welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebus

Goal - maintain mass while dropping fatty weight

Warmup for weight days:
2 jogging laps then stretch
warmup sets for each Lift with bar only x5 before weights

Monday
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Abs

Tuesday - cardio Day(6 mile trail OR street run)

Wednesday:
Front squat 5x5
Overhead press 5x5
Power cleans 5x5
Abs

Thursday - cardio Day(6 mile trail OR street run)

Friday:
Squats 5x5
Dips 5x5
rows 5x5
Abs

Saturday/sunday - active rest, usually run around with my daughter, play soccer, basketball, yard work, just be active outside as much as possible, if I feel that I haven't, I will throw on the shoes and do a 5k that day.

Diet is in check - 2k calories a day still losing weight good.
200g carbs
200g protein
45g fat

:wavey:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bodhi

My crotch is red .. my lambos blue .. and ill be g
Feb 14, 2008
Is there a reason you're squatting 3 times a week?

what are you seeing from the results?

Memor

Jun 22, 2006
NYC
looks fine to me - and anytime you find yourself saying "been doing it for 2 months, seeing results," - keep doing whatever it is until results stop. Then reassess.

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
I think the conditioning is excessive, and I wouldn't do 20 minutes of HIIT right before 5x5 squats.

TS
TS

Jebus

looks fine to me - and anytime you find yourself saying "been doing it for 2 months, seeing results," - keep doing whatever it is until results stop. Then reassess.
well I see results, but I was wondeirng about the 3x a week squat as well as no sepcific arm isolation, basically if I take out the front squat, and insert an arm excersize, does the workout still hold true?

sorry, forgot, abs on cardio days as well.

Memor

Jun 22, 2006
NYC
well I see results, but I was wondeirng about the 3x a week squat as well as no sepcific arm isolation, basically if I take out the front squat, and insert an arm excersize, does the workout still hold true?

sorry, forgot, abs on cardio days as well.

nothing wrong with squatting 3x a week, your body gets used to it

you can add in the arm stuff regardless of modifying any other exercise and see how it goes...like anything else it's a matter of trial and error to figure out how your body responds

Bodhi

My crotch is red .. my lambos blue .. and ill be g
Feb 14, 2008
not particularly, looking for a better option if you have any.

Weight still dropping, looking better overall. numbers wise, I have increased the weights I am lifting as well.

Ok, my opinion. Memor is right, if you see results and you feel like you are making progress, don't fuck with a good thing.

I do legs once a week (if i really feel compelled to). I run for 15 minutes before I go through my training. Build up a sweat, and I've seen it helps with dexterity as well. I target specific groups on M W F a schedule similar to yours. PurEvl routine: Chest/Shoulders .. Back/Bis/Tris .. Abs/Traps/Calves/Whatever Legs. Diet will take you WELL beyond your expectations and thats great that you have it well under control. Try to get some variety in your target areas, it will help in definition. Switch it up one week, see how it feels. The same weekly routines get boring and old, and trust me your muscles will look/feel the same way if you don't surprise them once in a while with something different.

my 2 cents, good luck with your goals, and i think the most important part of your weekly routine is your weekend activities :bigthumb:

TS
TS

Jebus

my 2 cents, good luck with your goals, and i think the most important part of your weekly routine is your weekend activities :bigthumb:
They are so important, when I was pushing to drop all the weight I worked out 6 days a week, sometimes 7. i was dead tired, now I am at a place were I can put a balance on it, and spend some time with the family outside during the summer and enjoy the world a bit while doing some active rest activities.

TS
TS

Jebus

if you are doing HIIT 3 times a week then you aren't really doing it right IMO
so what would you reccomend?

It has helped me in my runs outside with overall speed and lowered heartrate while running VS just running alone. Over the last year and a half I experimented with just running VS mixing in HIIT to help out. it seemed to do the job well.

Keep in mind my end goal is to keep losing weight while keeping mass as best I can, losing the weight is the main goal. the weights aid in that, as well as help me make sure I am not dropping muscle mass instead of fat(to a certain degree)

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
Keep in mind my end goal is to keep losing weight while keeping mass as best I can, losing the weight is the main goal. the weights aid in that, as well as help me make sure I am not dropping muscle mass instead of fat(to a certain degree)

just don't do what Adam did

Silmatharien

OT Supporter
Dec 27, 2004
Ontario, Canada
That's a ton of cardio ... and HIIT on squat days sounds like death to me but all the power to you if you can do it.

I managed to cut a ton of bodyfat with very minimal muscle loss by doing Arnold's routine posted in the archives with very little cardio. I lost about 10 pounds from about Jan. 8 - Mar. 26.

TS
TS

Jebus

I managed to cut a ton of bodyfat with very minimal muscle loss by doing Arnold's routine posted in the archives with very little cardio. I lost about 10 pounds from about Jan. 8 - Mar. 26.

I was looking through the archives, is arnold a user name?
or a name of the thread? I will check this out.

sffitzge

Feb 4, 2008
I've been doing the madcow 5X5 for the past month or so and have been seeing really good gains on all my lifts.

However, I have no idea how you're body is recovering with all that cardio.

IMO I'd do the 5X5 routine mon,wed,fri and a little cardio over the weekend. If you feel like you're not getting enough of a workout (ie you want to exhaust your body) I'd throw in a week of a 10X10 routine just to change things up.

TS
TS

Jebus

Ok, so the big concern form you guys, and others, is the HIIT before lifting.
so here is what I have come up with.
drop the HIIT and just do a warmup lap, stretch, and warmup sets, then do the 5x5 for the day.

I gotta say thanks,
this board helped me learn how to deadlift, squat, and power cleans. you directed me to the websites to read and the videos to watch, it has made all the difference.

TS
TS

Jebus

Wow, I had been doing light weight, and today I stepped it up to 80% of my max as a usual 5x5 recommends....holy shit snacks was that bad assness.

my legs are like jelly, my whole body felt worked out. I got done and all I could think of was when do I get to go back and do it again!

TS
TS

Jebus

nothing wrong with what he laid out more than one way to run it
:h5:
I like the routine, and it makes me want to push myself to get better at it, noticble gains over time. I was shooting for a 10% improvement in weight month over month, but I may increase that soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec