GUN Crossfit taking over PT?

OhhMikey

Sep 17, 2011
Anyone else at a base that's spending/wasting ridiculous amounts of money to support facilities, purchase equipment, and pay trainers for Crossfit?

I'm at Luke AFB and was selected to be a PTL for my shop and there was a mandatory "train the trainer" course we had to go through teaching crossfit techniques. Some of the shit they had us doing was awkward as fuck and there was simply no way I could use any of it for my PT sessions.

I can't say Crossfit doesn't work because for the most part those who swear by it are all in pretty damn good shape. I just think that there are better ways to spend $300,000+ to improve PT test pass rates. (Roids, for example)

jokka

Apr 29, 2005
GO REDSKINS
i hate all the crossfit dweebs that think they are part of some elite fitness society.

98% of them should stick to a regular gym routine and put on some size/strenght b/c they aren't going anywhere doing 50 reps of deadlifts with 50lbs.

i_is_surf

Aug 14, 2005
The LDS Republic of Mormony
While I hate all the crossfit cliques popping up everywhere, it is a more realistic workout for police/fire/military than the normal routine of pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, and running.

But like with everything, you get out of it what you put into it, and there is a possibility that someone could be sandbagging because they don't really want to work out.

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
I had to do something like this for my unit. A bunch of NCO's were selected for a 3 week program that was all alternative PT stuff. It included the insanity program, a lot of crossfit, proper HIIT usage, etc. They had certified trainers come in and teach us. Got a lot of good stuff out of it but I would never just do crossfit or anything similar.

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
Also, myself and a few other NCO's rotated doing the remedial PT sessions for guys who were overweight or failed the PT test. We had to exclusively use the insanity program (SGM thought it was the greatest thing ever). Guys lost weight, but run times didn't get any better.

TS
TS

OhhMikey

Sep 17, 2011
i hate all the crossfit dweebs that think they are part of some elite fitness society.

98% of them should stick to a regular gym routine and put on some size/strenght b/c they aren't going anywhere doing 50 reps of deadlifts with 50lbs.

This is absolutely my main gripe against the program. I have a pretty disciplined workout regimine, but I don't go bragging to everyone about how many "monkey pullups" or "box squat ball tosses" I can do. You don't think I could "survive" one of your crossfit workouts? I've never thought about it... Maybe not? I don't know, don't give a fuck. I pass my PT test and bitches love my body.

Fail

Sep 6, 2009
Wisconsin
The best way to get better at push-ups, sit-ups and running is to do push-ups, sit-ups, and run.

Last edited:

DawnsKayBug

Oct 28, 2009
"Someone" told me about a year ago Crossfit wasnt encouraged because at Base "X" they had their failures do it and they didnt really improve. I did it at my last base on MWF and we could go 2 weeks and do maybe 20 pushups.
Whats the most you run doing crossfit 400m?
We have our PT failures either on Days or Graves 0600 at the Gym and they do pretty much Abs/Chest MWF and run 1.5-4 miles on Tuesday and Thursdays. Only 1 repeat failure from 9 in 90 days 3 got excellents

supramandrew87

Picture Me Rollin
OT Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Tucson
4BDE 4ID is doing a Maximum Effort/Dynamic Effort weight lifting split focusing on athletic strength. Bench, Squat and Deadlift are the focal point, with accessory exercises to compliment the main effort.

cbs_24

Nov 13, 2003
Eagle River, AK
Yep. That field house is actually really nice too. Unfortunately the main gym will be closed until March, and who knows what will happen to that place.

i haven't been to the new field house yet, but everybody in my shop seems to like it. my squadron has a little gym, so i usually use that.

MumblingJoe169

Mar 13, 2002
Baltimore
yes, we should go back to the old days when we did jane fonda's and all sorts of other pointless exercises for an hour every morning. Also, we should run 5 times a week because thats the only way to improve running. :rolleyes:

Zee

Aug 25, 2002
Becker, MN
Spend umpteen million's of dollars for a over hyped fitness program....cancel an Enlisted Development workshop due too lack of funding :ugh2:

Oh BTW....fit to fight is just a way to descriminate against people...just because you cant run dont mean you cant do the damned job

allng

May 30, 2011
Russia
yes, we should go back to the old days when we did jane fonda's and all sorts of other pointless exercises for an hour every morning. Also, we should run 5 times a week because thats the only way to improve running. :rolleyes:

airborne shuffle for eight thousand miles is the only way to stay army fit, dog

Fail

Sep 6, 2009
Wisconsin
exactly, point me to a job in the military where in combat with a full load of equipment they will run 2 miles.

Your training must really suck. I've done that multiple times, and I'm in the National Guard.

EDIT: In training. I just realized I misread the context of that quote.

Last edited:

JSin

Jan 6, 2005
Fine..then take a PT test for your job....if the Air Force has too run(away)...we're fucked

I assume you got into the Air Force before it was a requirement to take a PT test with a run then?

Or are you one of those people that knows the requirements of a job, signs up to do it, and then complains about it. If you don't want to run for your job (Air Force), I'm sure you could find another one out there that doesn't require it. There are tons of jobs out there that won't care if you are a fat, out of shape blob, the military isn't one of those.

TS
TS

OhhMikey

Sep 17, 2011
I'm not a big fan of the way the AF judges our fitness... I guess I figure if you have a desk job and you're a shitty runner, I don't think you should receive a poor EPR and face potential separation because you ran a 14 minute 1.5 mile. I've known some good people get the axe for PT failure, and I viewed them as AF assets that were thrown out.

I do believe in maintaining a certain military image that reflects positively on the AF, so at a minimum it should be required that you're not a big nasty-looking fatass. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing an ogre-ish fat chick in a military uniform eating anything. It could be a healthy snack - doesn't matter. She needs to stop eating.

Zee

Aug 25, 2002
Becker, MN
I'm not a big fan of the way the AF judges our fitness... I guess I figure if you have a desk job and you're a shitty runner, I don't think you should receive a poor EPR and face potential separation because you ran a 14 minute 1.5 mile. I've known some good people get the axe for PT failure, and I viewed them as AF assets that were thrown out.

I do believe in maintaining a certain military image that reflects positively on the AF, so at a minimum it should be required that you're not a big nasty-looking fatass. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing an ogre-ish fat chick in a military uniform eating anything. It could be a healthy snack - doesn't matter. She needs to stop eating.

:werd:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan