Cycling Crew 2021 - need moar miles

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
NorCal
Well guys it's that time of year. Maybe we should begin this thread talking about where we ended 2020?

After screwing up my knee in January I finally got back to cranking out some good (for me) FTP numbers by year end.

Stats for 2020 are as follows:

Distance6,793.3 mi
Time358h 35m
Elev Gain214,649 ft
Rides299

Within a couple years I'd like to be biking as many miles as I'm driving, that could be fun.
I already ride more than I drive but that's because I barely drive :o

I got a little over 4k miles last year. Pretty happy with that considering I only ride 3 days a week. More than I did 2017, 2018, or 2019. 2015 and 2016 were over 5k though.

DieselUV

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2004
LoCo, VA
Carbon wheel quality can be all over the map and if your aluminum wheels were close in weight and have better hubs, that will affect how much difference there is. I have aluminum wheels that weigh 1460 grams (advertised, they definitely feel light) and have quality hubs. May go with a slightly deeper carbon wheel (38 mm vs 31 mm) from the same builder. Won't save much weight (10 grams) but should get a small aero advantage.
my buddy is a mechanic so i run things by him. he's poo-poo'd the Mercury S5s. Reynolds AR41, said they should be like $500. Enve and any that have internal nipples. He recommended Light Bicycle but those ended up being $1400 on the build I put together.

• Wow
Reactions: Scottwax

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
NorCal
my buddy is a mechanic so i run things by him. he's poo-poo'd the Mercury S5s. Reynolds AR41, said they should be like $500. Enve and any that have internal nipples. He recommended Light Bicycle but those ended up being $1400 on the build I put together.
How? I got a set of LB’s on my cross bike last year and with DT240’s and CX Rays they were like $900 shipped. Did you spec DT180’s?

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
NorCal
Oh damn. I've been trying to hike and such while in the off season instead of riding the trainer. I completely forgot about the impending doom of my chode. :wtc:
What trainer setup do you have?

I had a “dumb” trainer until like 4 months ago and would ride in 30-40 degrees and rain to avoid the suicidally boring trainer I loathed.

Now I have a ”smart” trainer and zwift and if it’s below 45 I’m riding the trainer and don’t even mind. Total game changer. The structured workouts are a game changer too. I’m feeling strong like I haven’t in years and the power meter confirms the increase.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
NorCal
What's y'all's chain maintenance routine? I was reading some bikeradar article the other day that said if you do the lazy method (1 drop per link, pedal backwards through a rag) you should do it every single ride. Seems excessive. That's my method but I do it every 3-5 hours of ride time or after a wet ride.

CopenKagan

OT Supporter
Feb 27, 2003
Salt Lake City, Utah
What trainer setup do you have?

I had a “dumb” trainer until like 4 months ago and would ride in 30-40 degrees and rain to avoid the suicidally boring trainer I loathed.

Now I have a ”smart” trainer and zwift and if it’s below 45 I’m riding the trainer and don’t even mind. Total game changer. The structured workouts are a game changer too. I’m feeling strong like I haven’t in years and the power meter confirms the increase.
I have a smart trainer. I've been a POS and haven't touched it once since the riding season ended. :o

CopenKagan

OT Supporter
Feb 27, 2003
Salt Lake City, Utah
What's y'all's chain maintenance routine? I was reading some bikeradar article the other day that said if you do the lazy method (1 drop per link, pedal backwards through a rag) you should do it every single ride. Seems excessive. That's my method but I do it every 3-5 hours of ride time or after a wet ride.
On my roadie, I only lube it once every few hundred miles. My mountain bike gets lubed once every 3-5 rides.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
NorCal
On my roadie, I only lube it once every few hundred miles. My mountain bike gets lubed once every 3-5 rides.
Is your process like mine? One drop on each link, pedal backwards through a rag? I do every 3-5 hours or every wet ride. All my mtb rides are 2-5 hours so I do that bike every ride.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
NorCal
I have a smart trainer. I've been a POS and haven't touched it once since the riding season ended. :o
That’s the whole point of the trainer, to extend riding season :o

here in CA riding season is year round but I like riding in the morning and it can be 30-40.

CopenKagan

OT Supporter
Feb 27, 2003
Salt Lake City, Utah
Is your process like mine? One drop on each link, pedal backwards through a rag? I do every 3-5 hours or every wet ride. All my mtb rides are 2-5 hours so I do that bike every ride.
I use a really thin dry lube. So I just blast it with piss until I get the whole chain, then wipe the excess, then let dry.

Reactions: Alias

diaper eater

OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2003
mpls, minnesota
I blast my chain with lotsa lube (probably more than 1 drop per link) once it starts getting squeaky, then wipe with rag.

once its squeaky is approximately every 5-10 rides

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
My road bike gets lube every couple hundred miles, sometimes every 300 miles, basically about every 2 or so weeks during the peak of riding outdoors.
My trainer bike not nearly enough :o

Reactions: CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU

Sep 1, 2003
My road bike gets lube every couple hundred miles, sometimes every 300 miles, basically about every 2 or so weeks during the peak of riding outdoors.
My trainer bike not nearly enough :o
About the same here. I use a homebrew of chainsaw bar & chain lube cut with odorless mineral spirits. Chains are cheap and get replaced every year anyway.

Reactions: 6SpeedTA95

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Cannondale is giving up on my Scalpel SE. However they are sending me the orange/black Scalpel frame with the 120/120 Lefty Ocho and Fox rear they give the pros for the marathon races, XTR, carbon fiber wheels and bars. Could be worse.

Reactions: diaper eater

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trendworld