CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Well it's that time of year again. Out with the old, in the with new. What are your goals and what are your nice to haves for yourself this year?
Goal: 8000 miles
Goal: Take two full weeks off from cycling (not in a row but perhaps around a couple vacations)
Nice to have: +5-7% on FTP (currently 300-320 depending on fitness and riding, want to be 335-350.)
Nice to have: Sprint power higher than a 12 year old girl, so maybe 1150 watts?
Nice to have: 5 minute power > 400w

Only real reason some of those aren't goals is simply comes down to time on the bike. My business is going pretty well but still requires a tremendous amount of work/attention, hopefully by year end 2022 it's in a self sustaining spot feeding itself on referrals. If that happens maybe 2023 I can really blow the doors off? Gotta also balance time with the family.

Stats for last year, I finished just shy of 8000 miles.

FTP was up a little (20 watts in the aggregate probably), long distance power over 50, 60 miles was up quite a lot. I did a solo ride over 60+ miles at 20.4mph. I'd really like to have 19.5-20 be sort of the standard for me by end of summer. We shall see.

DieselUV

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2004
LoCo, VA
Well fuck me. Holidays filled with stuffing my face and drinking too much = lower FTP lol. 207 to 203. Need to try again later this week.
As for races/rides, I've already got 3 road and 2 mtb on the calendar this year. I did 1 of each last year.

Reactions: 6SpeedTA95

SeaMack99

OT Supporter
Aug 7, 2005
Nebraska
No goals here.

Will haphazardly train, try not to get killed on Nebraska roads, and enter a race here and there.

2022 will be a win if I stay under 210lbs and pull the trigger on a gravel bike.

Reactions: bearsdidit

CraneCamsOU

Sep 1, 2003
2021 was pretty good riding for me. I’m just now getting into the power meter world, so that will up my training game for sure.

I wish 2022 was the year for a new road bike, but nothing is in stock or available to order within the year. Local trek store quotes May 2023 for a Madone. New Ribble Ultra SL is specing to Dec 22. No canondale orders being acceptable before summer. And on and on

diaper eater

OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2003
mpls, minnesota
goal is to get two more custom frames, and also to get as many miles/visits as this last year at the dirt jumps and mtb trails. Only did 400 miles this year but it was all bmx at jumps or some mtb sprinkled in there. I basically did 80 miles of bmx jumps this year if you strung together all of my mileage at the trails.

Thinking about getting something like this:

vtec1994

It always rains at Le Mans
Jun 11, 2001
Atlanta
Did a hair over 1000mi last year, want to hit 2500 this year. Going to do an FTP test this week.

What's a realistic FTP increase target for the year?

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
My goal is a mandatory upgrade to cat-3 in CX. I'm a client of Empirical Cycling now and going to stick with 100% of the prescribed work and return to the gym two days per week.

Reactions: bearsdidit

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
I just want to ride as much as last year. Since half my workout days each week are weights, being limited to about an hour for 2/3 of my weekly rides, and living in flatlands I'm pretty happy with my 2021 totals.

Mix of road/gravel/mtb

Distance 4,361.7 mi
Time 283h 26m
Elev Gain 147,753 ft

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Well fuck me. Holidays filled with stuffing my face and drinking too much = lower FTP lol. 207 to 203. Need to try again later this week.
As for races/rides, I've already got 3 road and 2 mtb on the calendar this year. I did 1 of each last year.
I wouldn't trip about small changes like that. You might have just not slept as well, fueled as well, hormonal fluctuations, etc.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Did a hair over 1000mi last year, want to hit 2500 this year. Going to do an FTP test this week.

Depends how trained you are to begin with. Even if you're moderately trained, you can go up ~10% in 6-8 weeks. Way more if you start untrained and give yourself a full year.

Proper diet is just as important, if not more important, than ride effort.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma

Really depends how much you ride. Starting relatively untrained as your mileage would indicate you can make gains quickly. My first FTP test was 210 watts. I was slightly trained at that time. I think I rode 5000 miles over the next year and FTP went to 270ish. I can check actual numbers when I get home for you.

Point is, you can make gains fast the lower your starting base.

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
I know the feels. Had acl surgery and put on mad pounds. Never knew how much I loved cycling until I couldn't do it. Get better bro!
I don’t think I’ll gain a lot of weight, but I’ll try to watch out for that. Recovery is going pretty good but it’s annoying and I would definitely be happier if I was able to do some training now.

Half my meniscus got removed and they did acl reconstruction with a donor ACL.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
I don’t think I’ll gain a lot of weight, but I’ll try to watch out for that. Recovery is going pretty good but it’s annoying and I would definitely be happier if I was able to do some training now.

Half my meniscus got removed and they did acl reconstruction with a donor ACL.
So does the meniscus re-grow? I've had some left knee issues since I injured in high school playing basketball but at the time they didn't really recommend surgery. When I re-injured it about 2 years ago, I thought about getting it scoped. Are you walking pretty easily or still painful to walk?

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
So does the meniscus re-grow? I've had some left knee issues since I injured in high school playing basketball but at the time they didn't really recommend surgery. When I re-injured it about 2 years ago, I thought about getting it scoped. Are you walking pretty easily or still painful to walk?
Once meniscus is gone, it’s gone. They were going to try and repair it but it was too bad when they actually got in there. If they didn’t take out the damaged part, it would have rattled around in there and wore away the cartilage over time. Doctor said that regular strength training will help keep the knee stable and mitigate the effects of having it removed. Fixing my acl will also help keep that area stable.

The surgery really tightens up the knee area and your quad basically shuts down. So in PT I’ve been working on stretching out my hamstring and calf to help my leg go straight. Once it’s straight I work on quad exercises to help get that to engage and strengthen again. Then I focus on getting my leg to bend backwards. A couple different reps of sliding my foot back and working on that bend. I got it to 110 degrees last week, but it was pretty difficult and painful. It’s a fine line to watch between pushing yourself enough, but not too much where you will get injured and have a setback.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor