CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
I hope you're soft pedaling if fasted.

I intermittent fast from 8pm to noon Monday through Friday, and ride a lot in the AM during the week, usually on Zwift. I've had no issues putting down power and blasting through the races. Of course I limit it to basically exactly what @{hydro} said, 30 miles/90 minutes, otherwise I need to eat. But i've actually found it to be a great way to push my weight loss along, and kind of train my body to be more efficient with calories.

Reactions: {hydro}

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
I intermittent fast from 8pm to noon Monday through Friday, and ride a lot in the AM during the week, usually on Zwift. I've had no issues putting down power and blasting through the races. Of course I limit it to basically exactly what @{hydro} said, 30 miles/90 minutes, otherwise I need to eat. But i've actually found it to be a great way to push my weight loss along, and kind of train my body to be more efficient with calories.
Interesting. I've been eating 90g CH/hr when racing or doing VO2 work. I'm not sure how to "train the body to be efficient with calories" but cool that it works for you.

Nerd shit I listen to on the matter:

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Interesting. I've been eating 90g CH/hr when racing or doing VO2 work. I'm not sure how to "train the body to be efficient with calories" but cool that it works for you.

Nerd shit I listen to on the matter:

I'm gonna add those to my podcast list for tomorrow. Will report back. I'm also a moron, so keep that in mind. But here's some stuff that I read that supports it. However, the truth is that I usually do it because that's the only time I have to get a ride in, and I don't want to break my fasting cycle because I really to feel better when I stick to it. So I just stick to it, and only drink water while and after I ride.

Many nutritionists also believe in the benefits. ‘If you train “low” – on limited carb stores – you optimise your fat mobilisation as a source of energy,’ says Schenker.

‘The more you do it, the more efficient the body becomes at using a higher percentage of fat as a fuel source.’ This is beneficial because the body’s stores of fat far exceed those of glycogen, so if a cyclist becomes more able to burn fat as fuel, their endurance increases.

Drew Price, performance nutritionist and author of The DODO Diet (or Day On Day Off Diet), agrees: ‘The body will generally tend to burn more of what you show it. Endurance athletes with their high intake of carbs tend to shift towards burning carbs. Fasting means there’s no “easy” carbs entering the blood from the gut, but more importantly the lack of nutrients allows for the increase in fat burning because you get a spike in growth hormones.’

The theory is that fasted training further enhances the ‘aerobic adaptations’ – your body’s ability to improve its aerobic exercise performance over time – that occur as a result of training by increasing mitochondria. These exist in each cell to produce its supply of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is used as a source of chemical energy.

‘One of the goals of endurance training is to increase the mitochondrial mass in muscle,’ says James Morton, senior lecturer in exercise metabolism at Liverpool John Moores University.

‘The more you have, the greater your aerobic energy. Fasting signals an increase in mitochondria to increase training adaptation.’

Another benefit is what is known as mitochondrial biogenesis. “That means the creation of more mitochondria, or aerobic cells,” explains Girling.

The stress of fasted training encourages your body to adapt by developing more mitochondrial cells, which help to burn fat for fuel. By burning more fat for fuel, you will spare your carbohydrate stores for the final stages of a race. You also get a higher adrenaline response from fasted training. Adrenaline regulates fat metabolism to help you burn more fat for fuel.
Your body’s energy system can be compared to a hybrid engine in a car. Whereas a car can switch between petrol and electricity, you can switch between fats and carbs.

The goal for endurance riders is to become efficient at using both sources of fuel. Fasted training helps us to get better at burning body fat, not just carbs.

“One of the main adaptations you get is an increase in the capacity to use fat as a fuel,” explains Gonzalez.

This helps to improve stamina and aid body composition.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
I'm gonna add those to my podcast list for tomorrow. Will report back. I'm also a moron, so keep that in mind. But here's some stuff that I read that supports it. However, the truth is that I usually do it because that's the only time I have to get a ride in, and I don't want to break my fasting cycle because I really to feel better when I stick to it. So I just stick to it, and only drink water while and after I ride.

I think one of the pods I sent you talks about one, sole, single case for riding fasted/fat adapted. The fashion of fat-adaptation was triggered by a miscalculation by that Adkins people about how much energy you get from fat when fat and CH are metabolized at the same rates. This dude and his partner are super smart. I use them for coaching and one of the first things they destroyed me on was eating.

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
Will I notice much of a difference going from SPD shoes/pedals to SL?

I have some nice sidi gravel shoes but I’m riding strictly pavement now. They were a little too narrow at first but don’t give me issues anymore until the end of a long ride.

Prob shouldn’t spend the money to switch if the differences won’t be noticeable (other than the benefits of having a better fitting shoe) when putting down power, comfort when riding a lot of miles/climbing etc

Last edited:

vtec1994

It always rains at Le Mans
Jun 11, 2001
Atlanta
What are you looking at?

I asked you guys about a cheap road bike for a kid trailer and ended up getting a diverge and my tarmac lol.
Not looking yet. Just staring at my bike on the Kickr and thinking I wish I didnt have to take this thing on and off every time. I should just buy a 2nd bike..

Reactions: {hydro}

DieselUV

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2004
LoCo, VA
Not looking yet. Just staring at my bike on the Kickr and thinking I wish I didnt have to take this thing on and off every time. I should just buy a 2nd bike..
before i got my kickr and diverge, i thought about getting a gravel bike to use on a trainer since i don't ride gravel as much.

N8

Dec 27, 2001
Canada
I've honestly thought about buying an old beater with decent geometry, throwing 11-speed 105 on there and a decent saddle just for the trainer. :hsd:

vtec1994

It always rains at Le Mans
Jun 11, 2001
Atlanta
I've honestly thought about buying an old beater with decent geometry, throwing 11-speed 105 on there and a decent saddle just for the trainer. :hsd:
You just described my current bike almost. 2013 Roubaix SRAM 10spd, but a carbon frame.

N8

Dec 27, 2001
Canada
You just described my current bike almost. 2013 Roubaix SRAM 10spd, but a carbon frame.

I guess that is the thing with road bikes - if you find something which fits you perfectly, there really isn't much motivation to change aside from aesthetics. Disc brakes and through axles I suppose, but it isn't as if cantilever brakes and QR skewers are going to self destruct. :dunno:

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
That’s what I have. An old aluminum cannondale six13 with 11sp 105 and an old cheap front wheel. It’s permanently attached to the kickr.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971