CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
How often do ya'll take time off riding/weights/etc?

For the last 15 months I've done 3 days of weights + 3 days of riding. I spent the previous decade riding 4x/weights 2x so this kind of volume is not new for me. I don't have any of the symptoms of over-training. My wattage/gym strength are steadily increasing, I'm not feeling a lack of motivation, I'm getting consistent and quality sleep, no agitation/depression/etc. but in the last few months I've been riddled with little injuries.

First I went a little too heavy on weighted dips in the gym and developed costochondritis. PT fixed that but then I threw my back out (simply walking my bike out the front door). Reduced intensity for a few days fixed that but then IT band pain flared up. I lowered my saddle a hair and did a ton of stretching and that went away. Then yesterday my ankle started feeling weird mid-ride and then hurt just to walk around the house the rest of the day. I'm going to start ankle PT but it got me wondering if I should just take a week or more completely off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6SpeedTA95

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
How often do ya'll take time off riding/weights/etc?

For the last 15 months I've done 3 days of weights + 3 days of riding. This is only 1 day of weights more than I did for the preceding decade. I don't have any of the symptoms of over-training. My wattage/gym strength are steadily increasing, I'm not feeling a lack of motivation, I'm getting consistent and quality sleep, no agitation/depression/etc. but in the last few months I've been riddled with little injuries.

First I went a little too heavy on weighted dips in the gym and developed costochondritis. PT fixed that but then I threw my back out (simply walking my bike out the front door). Reduced intensity for a few days fixed that but then IT band pain flared up. I lowered my saddle a hair and did a ton of stretching and that went away. Then yesterday my ankle started feeling weird mid-ride and then hurt just to walk around the house the rest of the day. I'm going to start ankle PT but it got me wondering if I should just take a week or more completely off.
It depends upon the type of work I'm doing but my coach has me resting 7 to 9 days every 4 to 5 weeks.

Reactions: {hydro}

ʎǝʞsoɹƆɔW

Looks like I picked the wrong week....
OT Supporter
Jul 21, 2004
The Potato Field
had a dream last night that some friends and I rode from DFW to grand junction, CO (no idea why) and it was a good time. except we ran into an old coworker of mine who was standing in the bike lane in denver staring at his phone and we did some road rash video game bullshit on him as we passed by. dude was/is a dick and deserved it

anyway i'm fucking tired now.

• Haha
Reactions: nadroj

nadroj

OT Supporter
Sep 2, 2004
Houston
had a dream last night that some friends and I rode from DFW to grand junction, CO (no idea why) and it was a good time. except we ran into an old coworker of mine who was standing in the bike lane in denver staring at his phone and we did some road rash video game bullshit on him as we passed by. dude was/is a dick and deserved it

anyway i'm fucking tired now.

Mid 90’s every time we went to Sherry’s video we got road rash for Saturday and maybe Sunday. 100% favorite game

Reactions: ʎǝʞsoɹƆɔW

strik9

Verbing weirds language.
May 18, 2001
Md
Went to Gran Fondo Hincapie Lehigh Valley today. Only my 4th time on my bike this year so did the 57 mile, 4.5k ft option. I also rarely climb so this ride beat me the fuck up lol. Had to walk my bike up anything greater than 7-8% about 3/4's through. Finished 222nd out of 302, but did better on the timed climbs. Overall was awesome. Event was set up very well. They had track racing the night before at the velodrome. Got to meet the peloton instructor/pro racer Christine D'ercole at a rest stop. Definitely doing this again.

strik9

Verbing weirds language.
May 18, 2001
Md
Forgot to mention I saw someone eat shit going decently fast for the first time. Girl right in front of me hit a low spot on a gravel descent and just lost control of her bike going like 20 mph and tumbled like a rag doll. I almost ate shit slamming on my brakes and trying to dodge her and her bike. She got cut up decently bad. But ended up getting back on her bike after moaning and groaning for 30 minutes and getting cleaned up.

ʎǝʞsoɹƆɔW

Looks like I picked the wrong week....
OT Supporter
Jul 21, 2004
The Potato Field
Forgot to mention I saw someone eat shit going decently fast for the first time. Girl right in front of me hit a low spot on a gravel descent and just lost control of her bike going like 20 mph and tumbled like a rag doll. I almost ate shit slamming on my brakes and trying to dodge her and her bike. She got cut up decently bad. But ended up getting back on her bike after moaning and groaning for 30 minutes and getting cleaned up.
that always sucks when you're like "welp not much choice but to ride"

Reactions: black jesus
TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Did my longest ride ever yesterday, 33.5mi with 1800ft of elevation. Legs were dead the last 5mi, no power. I need to start looking in to mid-ride snacks, etc.
No offense but at 33.5 miles you don't need a mid ride snack especially if thats only once or twice a week type of thing. Just keep the distance up and your body will adjust.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
No offense but at 33.5 miles you don't need a mid ride snack especially if thats only once or twice a week type of thing. Just keep the distance up and your body will adjust.

Kinda disagree here. Depends on the time and intensity.

If my man was averaging 12mph, and/or going all out, he absolutely could have been bonking by the end. Having some calories could make a solid difference.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma

If my man was averaging 12mph, and/or going all out, he absolutely could have been bonking by the end. Having some calories could make a solid difference.
Sure but you want your body to store more glycogen in the muscles and dispatch glycogen and fat for fuel.
A common mistake people make is eating too much and using moderate cycling as an excuse to eat anything. The body doesn’t work that way and Id be shocked if he was doing 33.5 miles of threshold intervals.

The other mistake is eating too little (I fall into this sometimes) but if 33.5 is his longest ride ever he’s likely not eating too little or glycogen depleted unless it’s intervals five days a week for 30 miles at a pop. If that’s the case he’s Superman and we should all be taking notes.

vtec1994

It always rains at Le Mans
Jun 11, 2001
Atlanta

The calorie number comes from my Garmin watch and I didnt eat anything before I started. Was drinking water with Nuun tablets.

1654691384153.png

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971