CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
So I overheated yesterday on a 4-hour ride. 160bpm to average 160w for the last hour, lol. I'm seriously considering one of those sombrero helmet attachments for endurance rides. How stupid is this? Will it fly off? I have a ton of training to do this summer with FTP TTE, FRC, and VO2 work and it's going to be very hot.

SeaMack99

OT Supporter
Aug 7, 2005
Nebraska
So I overheated yesterday on a 4-hour ride. 160bpm to average 160w for the last hour, lol. I'm seriously considering one of those sombrero helmet attachments for endurance rides. How stupid is this? Will it fly off? I have a ton of training to do this summer with FTP TTE, FRC, and VO2 work and it's going to be very hot.
I know that feeling. Was gonna do a couple hrs today. Sat down with my coffee at 0600 and saw it was already 80 and going to be 100. Downed the coffee and a banana and was out the door by 0700.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
I know that feeling. Was gonna do a couple hrs today. Sat down with my coffee at 0600 and saw it was already 80 and going to be 100. Downed the coffee and a banana and was out the door by 0700.
I'm moving the high-intensity stuff indoors but I still need that time in the saddle for endurance. I may just say fuck it and go. Three bottles on the gravel bike, one on my back, stupid hat but cold chillin.

Speaking of, the gravel bike is still in need of a shifter and I might have to switch to SRAM to get a Rival group on there and then still need a crank. Thinking a 5x100 Quarq with Praxis rings, but the gearing is fucking stupid. Maybe I need to wait for Shimano 105 Di2.

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
Can always count on Strava to send me alerts reminding me how lazy I've been the last couple weeks. I need to turn off notifications :rofl:

No sleep because new baby + insane stock market has killed my desire to ride. Still lifting at home though.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Probably just need to acclimate? I'm doing better now that I'm riding more in the heat, but that's a BAD feeling when you're chugging along at Z1 pace and the HR is at threshold :hs:

Reactions: black jesus

strik9

Verbing weirds language.
May 18, 2001
Md
bought a stages single sided power meter, anyone else use just single sided?

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
bought a stages single sided power meter, anyone else use just single sided?
I do. The bike I do all my training on will soon have an SRM. MTB and CX bike are fine to do single-leg stuff, but I want both legs measured on the bike that gets all the action.

strik9

Verbing weirds language.
May 18, 2001
Md
I do. The bike I do all my training on will soon have an SRM. MTB and CX bike are fine to do single-leg stuff, but I want both legs measured on the bike that gets all the action.
wanted to get double, but stages doesn't make it for 105 and didn't have the budget for pedals :hs:

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
wanted to get double, but stages doesn't make it for 105 and didn't have the budget for pedals :hs:
They're fine and I'm quite happy with them, but I want twice the sampling because I will soon be into the range where I want to know if numbers are increasing or if I'm stuck in the error-range of the meter. We're talking $1200 of give a shit, or maybe just Faveros. I'm not sure I can compel myself to give Shimano money for a crank after their last shit-show.

strik9

Verbing weirds language.
May 18, 2001
Md
They're fine and I'm quite happy with them, but I want twice the sampling because I will soon be into the range where I want to know if numbers are increasing or if I'm stuck in the error-range of the meter. We're talking $1200 of give a shit, or maybe just Faveros. I'm not sure I can compel myself to give Shimano money for a crank after their last shit-show.
i figure this can hopefully hold me over until the cost of the pedals go down. only $260 for the thing so should get my money's worth.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
i figure this can hopefully hold me over until the cost of the pedals go down. only $260 for the thing so should get my money's worth.
I bought two when Stages put the Hollowgram crank arms on sale. AT $250, I'll threw one on the MTB and have another saved. Us Hollowgram cult members will use Hollowgram parts as currency when the dollar fails.

waldo98

OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
SoCal
I'm finally integrating power meter onto my oldie roadie bike
  • Favero Assioma Duo-Shi Power meter sensors
  • Garmin Edge 830 Computer
  • Garmin Fenix 6s (broadcasting HR to Edge 830)

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
I'm finally integrating power meter onto my oldie roadie bike
  • Favero Assioma Duo-Shi Power meter sensors
  • Garmin Edge 830 Computer
  • Garmin Fenix 6s (broadcasting HR to Edge 830)
That HR is probably not giving a good reading. I tried this and failed, back to an HR strappe.

bearsdidit

May 8, 2004
San Diego, CA
Throwback to when @SeaMack99 and I raced in California.

Pj7VW2w.jpg

Reactions: SeaMack99

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Remember to inspect/clean/grease your headset bearings :rofl:

Hit 5k miles on my road bike. Kinda baffled at how nasty it is TBH. Recently did my CX bike at the same mileage (obviously more time) + it gets ridden in the nastiest conditions.

CX was pretty clean so I thought I was being proactive doing it on my road bike since my road bike doesn't even see wet pavement much less active rain and mud and shit :rofl:

IMG_7692.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971