CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

SeaMack99

OT Supporter
Aug 7, 2005
Nebraska
Throwback to when @SeaMack99 and I raced in California.

Pj7VW2w.jpg
:rofl:

I would never be caught in all that black. My skin is enough.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
They again talked about fat as fuel yesterday and a few other interesting items:
This episode's myths are:
1. Low cadence riding is strength training.
2. Burning more fat makes you better at burning fat.
3. You should do your base rides in the little ring.
This is a great podcast. I started taking in more gels on anything > 90 mins because of this podcast. I'll let you know how it goes in the coming months.

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
Wife hooked it up for Father’s Day. Haven’t tried gels before. Usually not a fan of caffeine immediately before or during workouts, haven’t experimented since I started riding, but I’ll give the low mg packs a shot on the longer rides.

782B1CDE-C280-4958-808B-42257148FF86.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: black jesus
TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Wife hooked it up for Father’s Day. Haven’t tried gels before. Usually not a fan of caffeine immediately before or during workouts, haven’t experimented since I started riding, but I’ll give the low mg packs a shot on the longer rides.

View attachment 232674
I was the same sir but the small amounts 10-50mg seems ok. I just space them out and have an SiS in between

Reactions: {hydro}

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________

View attachment 232674
What do you usually eat during rides? I do gels and waffles. Low caffeine gels are great for longer rides :bowdown:

N8

Dec 27, 2001
Canada
What do you usually eat during rides? I do gels and waffles. Low caffeine gels are great for longer rides :bowdown:

As someone who hates gels and the film they leave in your mouth, here is a Canadian solution ( :hsugh: ): pure extra dark maple syrup in a small bottle with a touch of salt mixed in. Easily convertible energy, tastes great and NO FILM!

I top that up with a bottle or two of water mixed with a hint of Gatorade powder for extra minerals and such that the syrup+salt does not provide.

N8

Dec 27, 2001
Canada
Hard to digest while exerting IME, curious if you like gels better. Waffles are great too. Highly individualized though

Stroopwafel :bowdown:

I usually have a couple of those hanging around in my bag for longer rides! That and some sort of gummy candy.

Reactions: Alias

N8

Dec 27, 2001
Canada
24 hour mountain bike race this weekend gents, and I have about 25% of the training in that I should have. Going to be rough! :run:

Team of 4, so expecting about 5-6 laps or 100km-ish of singletrack riding.

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
As someone who hates gels and the film they leave in your mouth, here is a Canadian solution ( :hsugh: ): pure extra dark maple syrup in a small bottle with a touch of salt mixed in. Easily convertible energy, tastes great and NO FILM!

I top that up with a bottle or two of water mixed with a hint of Gatorade powder for extra minerals and such that the syrup+salt does not provide.
Good idea. I never bought them for myself because I'm way too cheap for that $ to calorie/ energy ratio

N8

Dec 27, 2001
Canada
And this is why I never bought them myself. I'm way too cheap for that $ to calorie/ energy ratio

That too, the amount for a small bottle of maple syrup is about $1-2. Gels up here are $2-3 each, which is kind of :ugh: in of itself.

N8

Dec 27, 2001
Canada
1655819400178.png

I use one of these for the syrup, a small water bottle from a running waist belt. Perfect size and slips in and out of a jersey pocket easily. :coold:

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Good idea. I never bought them for myself because I'm way too cheap for that $ to calorie/ energy ratio
I eat 2 waffles/hour for the first 3 hours and then 3/hour. They’re about $1/ea. Usually only riding long enough to need them once a week, sometimes 2. Like $5-8/week, worth it for the convenience.

Check out natures bounty fig bars though. Slightly better $/calorie.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________

Untapped maple pouches are my jam but I’m too cheap to buy it regularly. 2-3x the cost of other gels/waffles.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
View attachment 233104

I use one of these for the syrup, a small water bottle from a running waist belt. Perfect size and slips in and out of a jersey pocket easily. :coold:
I’m too anal about portions. I know exactly how much I need to eat and if I go under I feel like shit from being depleted and if I go over I feel like shit from too much in the stomach :rofl: I gotta think of a way to make this work for me :x:

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
That too, the amount for a small bottle of maple syrup is about $1-2. Gels up here are $2-3 each, which is kind of :ugh: in of itself.
How much water is needed to the digestion/osmosis numbers needed to use what you're drinking and make sure it doesn't make you sick on the bike. You might have to drink 2 bottles to adequately use the gel you're taking in. That's why I use the SIS gels, they require no water and it's easier to pack gels than water for long races.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Was advised today I won't be able to get an 8020 cable/hydro right/rear shifter until at least October. Might be time to buy Force eTappe

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971