CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
How do people ride 10, 15, 20+ hour weeks? I have averaged a little over 6 for the year and it just feels like non-stop maintenance to keep the bikes running right.

In the past week I've replaced 2 chains, 3 sets of brake pads, 2 brake bleeds, shock rebuild on MTB, 3 pedal (pair) rebuilds, added sealant to 2 bikes, some minor fit tweaks, 2 new tires, 3 hub services, 1 bottom bracket, 3 headset bearings, lower link service on MTB, new cleats, and probably more I'm missing :hs:

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
How do people ride 10, 15, 20+ hour weeks? I have averaged a little over 6 for the year and it just feels like non-stop maintenance to keep the bikes running right.

In the past week I've replaced 2 chains, 3 sets of brake pads, 2 brake bleeds, shock rebuild on MTB, 3 pedal (pair) rebuilds, added sealant to 2 bikes, some minor fit tweaks, 2 new tires, 3 hub services, 1 bottom bracket, 3 headset bearings, lower link service on MTB, new cleats, and probably more I'm missing :hs:
I've been doing 17-19 hours for most of the year, it's hard. I imploded yesterday, two workouts prior to the end of this block.

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA

Can you guess how many miles before doing anything on a road bike? Like 99% pavement, barely any sand/dirt. I'm at 2k miles on the road bike and everything seems fine but I'd rather order whatever part before it's needed. I have a spare chain ready.

How long can I run pads? Yeah they're cheap, just curious.

Fronts. Barely any braking after the 2k miles because the route from my house is flat lol

IMG_6877.jpeg

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
Oh and is there an easy way to align handlebars (edit: tips or tricks to get it perfectly straight) ? Seems straight after my crash but I just noticed one spacer is a little out of whack.

Last edited:

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Can you guess how many miles before doing anything on a road bike? Like 99% pavement, barely any sand/dirt. I'm at 2k miles on the road bike and everything seems fine but I'd rather order whatever part before it's needed. I have a spare chain ready.

How long can I run pads? Yeah they're cheap, just curious.

Fronts. Barely any braking after the 2k miles because the route from my house is flat lol
Those pads have a TON of life left. For road bikes I get ~5k miles for pavement front pads, more for rear pads, 2-3k miles for rear tire if no slices that kill it first, 4-5k miles for bottom bracket, ~2k miles for chain (get a chain checker and replace the second it gets to .5%), 2-3 chains per cassette. This all cuts in half or more if you ride off road.

At 2k miles I'd check chain wear for sure, see if rear tire is flattening in the center or has any notable slices, remove/clean/grease headset, remove/clean/grease bottom bracket. If chain isn't already fucked, check every 200-300 miles, you do not want to run it when it's at the point of replacement or you risk wrecking cassette/chainring. In another 2k do that again + bottom bracket and/or shift cables & housing might need replacing.

Your bike has a Future Shock right? If it does, it's even easier than most to change handlebar alignment. However, the headset cleaning I referenced in my last sentence is about 5x as complicated because of Future Shock :rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: {hydro}

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
Those pads have a TON of life left. For road bikes I get ~5k miles for pavement front pads, more for rear pads, 2-3k miles for rear tire if no slices that kill it first, 4-5k miles for bottom bracket, ~2k miles for chain (get a chain checker and replace the second it gets to .5%), 2-3 chains per cassette. This all cuts in half or more if you ride off road.

At 2k miles I'd check chain wear for sure, see if rear tire is flattening in the center or has any notable slices, remove/clean/grease headset, remove/clean/grease bottom bracket. If chain isn't already fucked, check every 200-300 miles, you do not want to run it when it's at the point of replacement or you risk wrecking cassette/chainring. In another 2k do that again + bottom bracket and/or shift cables & housing might need replacing.

Your bike has a Future Shock right? If it does, it's even easier than most to change handlebar alignment. However, the headset cleaning I referenced in my last sentence is about 5x as complicated because of Future Shock :rofl:
I only have the tarmac now

240ADD06-3DB4-4171-9C9B-BD7C55AC56AF.jpeg

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
I only have the tarmac now

[ATTCH=full]234526[/ATTACH]
Gotcha. So future shock aside, most bikes usually have a top screw that pre-tensions the headset bearings at a light tension and pinch bolts torqued to the 5-6nm range. That's how it would be unless there's something else proprietary going on with the Tarmac. Undo the side pinch bolts, loosen the top cap, fix the spacer, tighten the top cap, tighten the pinch bolts. Before tightening the pinch bolts, twist the fork and make sure it's spinning freely but not sloppy. Also grab the front brake and the top of the steer tube and rock it back and forth and make sure it's not knocking. This is to make sure the top cap is tensioned enough but not too much. Then tighten the pinch bolts.

You might as well take it fully apart and clean/grease the headset bearings though. But watch a video on youtube or something for the Tarmac because Specialized likes to have proprietary parts/procedures.

Reactions: {hydro}

ʎǝʞsoɹƆɔW

Looks like I picked the wrong week....
OT Supporter
Jul 21, 2004
The Potato Field
sadly, blowing up my shoulder 2 summers ago and covid has messed me up and I gotta fix that.

so more miles on this (and the cycleops) until I'm fit (enough) again

finally pulled off that FSA post and put a spare niner carbon post on it that doesn't let the seayt angle slip all over the place

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971