CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Found a car that perfectly matched my Bianchi a couple days ago. Trying to convince the wife I need to buy it now.

bianchi-celeste.jpg

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
I need to work on my gu technique. Tore the top piece, reached back to put the trash away, then dumped half the pack in my jersey pocket :rofl:

It was honey stinger and apparently they're a lot thinner than whichever one I tried before

VicenteFox

Does your mother still hang out at dockside bars?
Sep 15, 2001
Garbage Grove, Ca
question for anyone who has ridden an e-road bike.

i have a conference in lake tahoe coming up and was going to rent a bike to ride around. if i rent an e-road bike, would i estimate that i can do 2x the distance/climbing with it? or is the gain even more? looks like the avail rental is Turbo Creo SL

ex. i can prob punch out 40 miles 2k feet at sea level. would i be able to do a whole lake loop w/ maybe a top out on mt rose with the e-bike?

Frank White

Through thick and thin...
OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Dirty Jerz
Did a 3 day, 250 mile ride in May and haven't touched my bike since :wtc:

I also learned that preparation h is the secret to no grundle pain

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
sooo close. Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 1.52.36 PM.png

Been just over a year since I started MTBing. Glad I did that for a while before getting into road riding because there have been a few times where I need to act quick to avoid a crash. Just today I was on a horribly paved section and had to hop to avoid a giant pothole.

strik9

Verbing weirds language.
May 18, 2001
Md
So decided to rent a bike in Maui and tried to do the west maui loop, 60 miles 4k+ft, had a lot of firsts. Didn't get on the road until like 10:30 which gave me the pleasure of climbing with 15 mph headwinds with idk how fucking fast gusts for the first time. Made it half way through (36 miles, 3.8k ft) and had to call wife to pick me up for the first time. Had debilitating quad cramps about 3/4 of the way through for the first time. Rode in heat before but never at this intensity. The views were nice though!

20220705_112913.jpg
20220705_124633.jpg
20220705_131049.jpg

aloe

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
Dallas, Tejas
So decided to rent a bike in Maui and tried to do the west maui loop, 60 miles 4k+ft, had a lot of firsts. Didn't get on the road until like 10:30 which gave me the pleasure of climbing with 15 mph headwinds with idk how fucking fast gusts for the first time. Made it half way through (36 miles, 3.8k ft) and had to call wife to pick me up for the first time. Had debilitating quad cramps about 3/4 of the way through for the first time. Rode in heat before but never at this intensity. The views were nice though!

View attachment 237645
View attachment 237646
View attachment 237647
The only biking I did there was the 23mi downhill, starting at 6500’ above elevation at Haleakala

Reactions: bearsdidit

strik9

Verbing weirds language.
May 18, 2001
Md
The only biking I did there was the 23mi downhill, starting at 6500’ above elevation at Haleakala
Probably what I should have done lol. How was it? All the decents on this ride had a bunch of hairpin turns, so didn't even get a break as I still had to pedal some of them because of the wind, or fighting the crosswinds when I got out of the headwind.

aloe

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
Dallas, Tejas
Probably what I should have done lol. How was it? All the decents on this ride had a bunch of hairpin turns, so didn't even get a break as I still had to pedal some of them because of the wind, or fighting the crosswinds when I got out of the headwind.
It was fun for what it was. I finished it in 55min

Reactions: strik9

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
My chain has been falling off my big ring to the little ring a few times lately on my road bike. My cx/mtb are 1x and my road bike mostly sees flat terrain so I've never had to tune a front derailleur before. Some Googling and I found that these lines help you set cable tension.

I noticed the top line was to the right of the bottom line a bit so I got them lined up. Assuming the cable finally stretched enough to matter. It shifts well, but even with the low limit screw all the way backed out (pictured), it rubs the cage. Any other adjustment I can make?

IMG_8117(1).JPEG IMG_8118.JPEG

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Your high limit is too far in causing the mechanism to bind. Back both out and start again
Gotcha, thanks. These things mystify me. Never had to mess with them before :rofl:

I noticed that my inner trim setting does next to nothing compared to my outer trim. Like the trim you use on the small ring compared to the large ring. You think that's related too maybe?

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
People with Di2 or electronic shifters: Do you use the cross chain protection feature? Whatever it's called when it auto shifts the rear derailleur.

My chain will drop getting pinched between chainring and chain stay (already scratched chain stay) if I'm not paying attention going from small to big chainring if I'm not in a high (small) enough cog on the cassette. It doesn't happen often but idk if there something I should adjust or just pay more attention

Last edited:

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
People with Di2 or electronic shifters: Do you use the cross chain protection feature? Whatever it's called when it auto shifts the rear derailleur.

My chain will drop getting pinched between crank and chain stay (already scratched chain stay) if I'm not paying attention going from small to big chainring if I'm not in a high (small) enough cog on the cassette. It doesn't happen often but idk if there something I should adjust or just pay more attention
That shouldn’t happen, regardless of the protection feature. prob low limit screw needs to be tightened

Reactions: {hydro}

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971