CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

Catdrew

Elitist Member
OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
kanadia
Gotcha, thanks. These things mystify me. Never had to mess with them before :rofl:

I noticed that my inner trim setting does next to nothing compared to my outer trim. Like the trim you use on the small ring compared to the large ring. You think that's related too maybe?
Possibly

Your low trim no doing anything means tension is too low, high not doing anything means tension is too high

Reactions: Alias

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
That shouldn’t happen, regardless of the protection feature. prob low limit screw needs to be tightened
I need to put it on the stand to recreate it. Writing this to wrap my head around what’s going on..

Upshift Front
Rear auto shifts down
Opposing shifts causes the chain to drop

Not even sure what to adjust because it's dropping on it's way up to big chainring

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
I need to put it on the stand to recreate it. Writing this to wrap my head around what’s going on..

Upshift Front
Rear auto shifts down
Opposing shifts causes the chain to drop

Not even sure what to adjust because it's dropping on it's way up to big chainring
There might be more going on with the Di2 sorcery but if the chain is ever falling below the small chainring that's a limit screw issue at the very least so I'd start there. Add 1/4 turn clockwise to the "L" screw. See if that fixes it/makes anything worse. Worst case you back it out 1/4 turn.

Reactions: {hydro}

chrislehr

Feb 20, 2001
I bought a new bike - it wont arrive til fall maybe though.

Ribble Endurance SL R Disc in 105 di2.

vtec1994

It always rains at Le Mans
Jun 11, 2001
Atlanta
I try to do those once every couple months. Much more mentally feasible than the 20min test.
Ya it was my 1st ever test, trying to pick a power level and hit it seems like a recipe for failure. Was looking in to both and the ramp seemed more logical. Plus it was quicker.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Holy fuck Conti tubeless tires have gotten expensive. I'm just about to mount my last spare and ordering more... most places charging $100 +/- $10 :ugh: :rofl:

Any other tubeless road tires I should try? I don't want a boat anchor like a Gatorskin but it doesn't necessarily need to be as fast as a GP5000TL. Easier to mount than a GP5000TL would be nice :rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: black jesus

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Did an FTP Ramp test on Zwift - 217W

So, I was able to score 290-299 on ramp tests and when I started doing"real training" I realized my FTP was 230w, verified with WK05, lol. I do not trust ramp tests but I also am not qualified to hold an educated opinion. I however now know what FTP feels like, can verify with RPE and heart rate, consider the heat, assure I'm properly fueled from at least two days out and during the ride. I don't yet have 60 minutes of TTE, more like 40 minutes when fresh at 280w, the goal is 80 minutes, then VO2 work, then a new FTP test.

Ya it was my 1st ever test, trying to pick a power level and hit it seems like a recipe for failure. Was looking in to both and the ramp seemed more logical. Plus it was quicker.
You need to know your FTP range and start from there when testing. Maybe consider a longer test and use it as a ride for the day, take the stress out of a narrow window and look for a more accurate and longer duration test, without exploding yourself and leave that for racing. You should be able to ride at FTP for at least 20-40 minutes and then do a couple hours of endurance afterward. If you're exploding afterward then you are not riding at FTP. VO2 and up is not incorporated into my FTP work because those are distinctly different systems.

Also, remember that it's just a fucking number. I'll take a longer TTE and lower FTP over the opposite. I train to RPE, and it's awesome. I still look at the numbers but I trim power when needed or add duration when possible; this feels like the right way to train.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Holy fuck Conti tubeless tires have gotten expensive. I'm just about to mount my last spare and ordering more... most places charging $100 +/- $10 :ugh: :rofl: how in the world can they justify charging that much when top of the line Maxxis tires use 3-4x the rubber and are 20-40% cheaper
Vittoria has a very interesting new tire my buddy is riding that may be the new benchmark.

I still love my Veloflex.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Holy fuck Conti tubeless tires have gotten expensive. I'm just about to mount my last spare and ordering more... most places charging $100 +/- $10 :ugh: :rofl:

Any other tubeless road tires I should try? I don't want a boat anchor like a Gatorskin but it doesn't necessarily need to be as fast as a GP5000TL. Easier to mount than a GP5000TL would be nice :rofl:
A few weeks ago you could get them for $49-$59 depending on the site.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
So, I was able to score 290-299 on ramp tests and when I started doing"real training" I realized my FTP was 230w, verified with WK05, lol. I do not trust ramp tests but I also am not qualified to hold an educated opinion. I however now know what FTP feels like, can verify with RPE and heart rate, consider the heat, assure I'm properly fueled from at least two days out and during the ride. I don't yet have 60 minutes of TTE, more like 40 minutes when fresh at 280w, the goal is 80 minutes, then VO2 work, then a new FTP test.

You need to know your FTP range and start from there when testing. Maybe consider a longer test and use it as a ride for the day, take the stress out of a narrow window and look for a more accurate and longer duration test, without exploding yourself and leave that for racing. You should be able to ride at FTP for at least 20-40 minutes and then do a couple hours of endurance afterward. If you're exploding afterward then you are not riding at FTP. VO2 and up is not incorporated into my FTP work because those are distinctly different systems.

Also, remember that it's just a fucking number. I'll take a longer TTE and lower FTP over the opposite. I train to RPE, and it's awesome. I still look at the numbers but I trim power when needed or add duration when possible; this feels like the right way to train.
I think the ramp becomes more accurate as you make more power, but it's not going to be perfect. It reads a little high for me too. But I'd rather do those than the 20min test. I'm at the point that I generally don't care to test on the 20 min test. It is what it is and I'm going to keep riding if that makes sense.

vtec1994

It always rains at Le Mans
Jun 11, 2001
Atlanta
I think the ramp becomes more accurate as you make more power, but it's not going to be perfect. It reads a little high for me too. But I'd rather do those than the 20min test. I'm at the point that I generally don't care to test on the 20 min test. It is what it is and I'm going to keep riding if that makes sense.
Just by experiencing the nature of the test, I can see how the number could be inflated, or deflated. Did I give up too early when trying to push 320W? I was targeting 80RPM, but if my pain tolerance was higher maybe I could have slogged through it down around 70RPM for another minute or 2 before finally giving up.

Alternatively, I don't see myself being able to push 200+ for an hour, maybe one day we'll find out.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Just by experiencing the nature of the test, I can see how the number could be inflated, or deflated. Did I give up too early when trying to push 320W? I was targeting 80RPM, but if my pain tolerance was higher maybe I could have slogged through it down around 70RPM for another minute or 2 before finally giving up.

Alternatively, I don't see myself being able to push 200+ for an hour, maybe one day we'll find out.
80rpm is probably too low. I'd push that up to 90 TBH.
You'll get to the 200w mark soon if you ride regularly.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX

Cadence should go up as power increases for riding like this. You were way, way, way out of FTP range and nuking legs at 70rpm. I do my FTP work at 90-105rpm.

Reactions: 6SpeedTA95

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971