CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

Catdrew

Elitist Member
OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
kanadia
Any ideas?

The FD from the gravel bike shifts fine so I'm guessing it's broken or in some sort of a protection mode. I'm glad it happened today instead of before my vacation next week.
Looks like the internal cam is broken

I’ve seen it on derailleurs that get ridden a shitload so the pivots seize.

How long have you had it? That’s 100% warranty if you can get a proof of purchase within the last tao years.

Also, try to find a certified shimano service center to deal with. They don’t need to ask shimano what is and what is not warranty with stuff like this

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Looks like the internal cam is broken

I’ve seen it on derailleurs that get ridden a shitload so the pivots seize.

How long have you had it? That’s 100% warranty if you can get a proof of purchase within the last tao years.

Also, try to find a certified shimano service center to deal with. They don’t need to ask shimano what is and what is not warranty with stuff like this
This group has 24,586 miles on it, lol. I got my money's worth so I'll go ahead and order another. I pulled the spare of my gravel bike for now; the gravel bike gets "raced" so it will get the brand new one. Thanks for the diagnosis.

Catdrew

Elitist Member
OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
kanadia
Also what the fuck are the responses you got on Reddit @black jesus

Do people think you are a t-word and don’t know how to install a front derailleur?

gui3

all the dude ever wanted was his rug back
May 6, 2000
Specialized is offering me a discount for crash replacement of my helmet & shoes.

Any thoughts on the newer S-Works shoes?

I was thinking about getting the EXOS, but then I saw this pic. Weird.

aff825aee6b50014ff292ec5d24673bb.jpg

Reactions: 6SpeedTA95

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Those sound pretty comfy, but are ugly AF.

Maybe they'd be nice for centuries or long group rides, but probably not for anything fast or competitive.

gui3

May 6, 2000
Those sound pretty comfy, but are ugly AF.

Maybe they'd be nice for centuries or long group rides, but probably not for anything fast or competitive.

Probably the reason why they didn't make new versions when they moved to the Torch naming scheme. I'd guess the Ares/Exos were experiments that probably proved too niche to be worth continuing.

gui3

May 6, 2000
how do specialized shoes fit? i always buy shimano since my feet are a little wider.

I've never used Shimano but my feet are wider with high arches and I've had luck with Specialized + their "green" (high arch) insoles. Apparently they've been made even wider in the new versions.

N8

Dec 27, 2001
Canada
Welp, I broke my ass.

Back in May I had a crash messing up my right hip, elbow, and shoulder. Long recovery but I was back on the bike, training hard, eventually got in easily the best shape I've been in 10 years.
I've been riding solo for years (long job commute, new kids, etc), but things have calmed down so I decided to try riding with a local group.

3 laps of Central Park in a pace line, maybe 1 mile from the end, someone has their dog off leash, runs in front of me and crashes me.

So I have a fractured pelvis and now I have to use a fucking WALKER until this injury calms down. Thankfully it's a fracture on the lower arch, so I will be able to actually walk and cycle on it as it heals. could have been worse but man it's frustrating.

My shoes, helmet, jersey, and some of my bike are scratched up, I'm going to try to get the dog owner to pay for it.

Sorry to hear this dude and I hope you heal up faster than expected. You should absolutely be going after the dog owner for compensation. Did you get their information?

Similar thing almost happened to me, I was coming down a steep gravel hill about 40 km/h and a dog ran out from a yard ON TO THE ROAD. I was able to lock up the wheels and drift around him, but it scared the shit out of me and could have ended very badly. Had some choice words for the owner on that one...

gui3

May 6, 2000
Sorry to hear this dude and I hope you heal up faster than expected. You should absolutely be going after the dog owner for compensation. Did you get their information?

Similar thing almost happened to me, I was coming down a steep gravel hill about 40 km/h and a dog ran out from a yard ON TO THE ROAD. I was able to lock up the wheels and drift around him, but it scared the shit out of me and could have ended very badly. Had some choice words for the owner on that one...

I got her info. I have health insurance but I am going to have copays in the hundreds, my gear is damaged, and generally I'm in pain and losing out on cycling, helping my wife with the kids, etc. So I do plan on following up with her.

This shit with the dogs happens pretty often in Central Park. There are "off-leash" hours in the early AM, but those are restricted to certain hours and certain areas - but nobody follows them. The park is HUGE, but people still insist on letting their dogs run around right by the roadway. When I see dogs off-least at all, I always cover my brakes and try to give myself room to move if I have to. It happened to me just three days earlier, with another woman who lost control of her dog and it was just running around in the street.

This one, unfortunately, happened where the side of the road was a downhill, so I didn't see the dog coming. I just saw a brown flash in front of me, barely had time to process it, and it was on the ground.

gui3

May 6, 2000
Puck’s on an Ostro

Now I feel validated about my bike purchase.

gui3

May 6, 2000
they are pretty good

team i work with races and really likes them
I like mine. The Ostro was my mid-life crisis bike purchase, it's a little weird to be 41 and riding a legit pro tour bike, but it's super fun.

Thankfully I had the sense to NOT ride the Ostro last week when it was wet out and I ended up crashing and fracturing my pelvis.
I was riding my $500 Chinese open mold frame, which actually seems to not be broken.

gui3

May 6, 2000
local cycling community/collective by me ("WE ARE NOT A BIKE SHOP") is now selling shop jerseys.

$190 for a jersey that literally is just an advertisement for them lol

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971