CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
I like mine. The Ostro was my mid-life crisis bike purchase, it's a little weird to be 41 and riding a legit pro tour bike, but it's super fun.

Thankfully I had the sense to NOT ride the Ostro last week when it was wet out and I ended up crashing and fracturing my pelvis.
I was riding my $500 Chinese open mold frame, which actually seems to not be broken.
The masters fields here are just as fast as the pros. The OK and TX CX masters state races were faster than the 1/2 races last year.

Catdrew

Elitist Member
OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
kanadia
local cycling community/collective by me ("WE ARE NOT A BIKE SHOP") is now selling shop jerseys.

$190 for a jersey that literally is just an advertisement for them lol

What’s a bike shop that’s not a bike shop

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
There is about to be so much shit on close out as shops go under lol
I just discussed this with my Cannondale bro, he says about 2-years.
Most legit pros don’t race state champs it’s a bad look
We have continental bros racing CX here and the pro-crit people doing all forms of weeknight, weekent, and state races. I think that's expected though. I feel bad for the women though because they have to race Lauren Stephens in the weekend races.

Catdrew

Elitist Member
OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
kanadia
Weekend training races are different than provincial/state champs

Those (for better or worse) are essential amateur titles

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
I think I wanna buy a Ribble Ultra SLR.

Any of you see one in person or know anyone who's ridden it? Reviews or thoughts? I've read/watched everything on the internets, it looks pretty amazing, and I love the crazy glitter paint job and handlebars.

UltraSLR_Hero_DuraAce_blkBkgrd_side-on-1340x754.jpg

gui3

all the dude ever wanted was his rug back
May 6, 2000
I think I wanna buy a Ribble Ultra SLR.

Any of you see one in person or know anyone who's ridden it? Reviews or thoughts? I've read/watched everything on the internets, it looks pretty amazing, and I love the crazy glitter paint job and handlebars.

I know I'm not the first to say this but the handlebars are a dealbreaker for me. There's aero, and then there's like too much aero.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
I know I'm not the first to say this but the handlebars are a dealbreaker for me. There's aero, and then there's like too much aero.

Yeah, I can 100% see why they're polarizing, but I like em a lot. I'm a little confused about how the 'no tape' setup, but I think it's neat that they're trying new stuff.

Lots of companies are moving towards the integrated handlebars now, like the specialized aerofly and a few others. I've also moved all of my bikes over to the flat handlebars, not because they're aero necessarily, but because the flat tops are so comfortable.

gui3

all the dude ever wanted was his rug back
May 6, 2000
Yeah, I can 100% see why they're polarizing, but I like em a lot. I'm a little confused about how the 'no tape' setup, but I think it's neat that they're trying new stuff.

Lots of companies are moving towards the integrated handlebars now, like the specialized aerofly and a few others. I've also moved all of my bikes over to the flat handlebars, not because they're aero necessarily, but because the flat tops are so comfortable.

My Ostro has an aero "barstem," though I kind of wish it was two pieces, as it really limits options - the bars' reach is about 7mm longer than I'd like, and I can't change it without changing the whole setup.

Curious about the no-tape thing. How do you grip it without gloves?

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
My Ostro has an aero "barstem," though I kind of wish it was two pieces, as it really limits options - the bars' reach is about 7mm longer than I'd like, and I can't change it without changing the whole setup.

Curious about the no-tape thing. How do you grip it without gloves?

The bars have some sort of texture built into them that's supposed to be grippy and a bit rubbery? No clue. Might be cool, will probably end up covered in black tape. :dunno:

Apparently, you can swap the bars out for their traditional aero bar setup and just tape it if you hate it that much though.

I spend 99% of the time in the hoods right now, so I'll probably just leave it alone and roll with it for a while if I end up getting one.

diaper eater

OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2003
mpls, minnesota
my fucking strava is recording significantly less miles since I upgraded from a galaxy s9 to a galaxy s22. what gives? do i need to cave and get a fucking watch now?

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
I built one up last week

They are pretty cool
They are excellent bikes, but super pricey and I can't get Rival on them, so I'm basically left having to spend 10k and still not get exactly what I want, it's a real bummer. But their quality is pretty damn good from everything I've read.

Catdrew

Elitist Member
OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
kanadia
They are excellent bikes, but super pricey and I can't get Rival on them, so I'm basically left having to spend 10k and still not get exactly what I want, it's a real bummer. But their quality is pretty damn good from everything I've read.
They are not expensive

A ultegra di2 bike with carbon wheels was almost the same price 7 years ago

The more bikes cost the less they have been effected by inflation. A dogma with carbon wheels and super record eps was $19k Canadian 9 years ago, the same bike is $20k today

In that same time an r3 ultegra has gone from $3500 to $6500

Reactions: black jesus

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
my fucking strava is recording significantly less miles since I upgraded from a galaxy s9 to a galaxy s22. what gives? do i need to cave and get a fucking watch now?

Strava has a button to correct distance and elevation based off of the roads you were on, instead of the recorded data.

Also, get a computer. Way better.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971