CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

diaper eater

OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2003
mpls, minnesota
or computer. you can always go to the website and find the correct distance feature. Link: How Distance is Calculated – Strava Support
It was an MTB ride in the woods. correction only changed it by .03 miles lol. I dont KNOW know, but the longer distance recording I got before is more common to what other people get with better gps devices so i would trust that it was true distance before i got the new phone

Reactions: DieselUV

N8

Dec 27, 2001
Canada
Any of yous race on Zwift?

Won a C race today over lunchtime. Was fun. Haven't spent much time actually racing on there.

Best part of the game. I find that the competitive aspect really pushes me hard, way harder than if I was just riding on my own. Can't count how many times i've told my wife: "Just going for a quick easy ride to stretch the legs", then come upstairs 40-60 minutes later totally drenched cause I ended up in a race. :rofl:

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
I think I wanna buy a Ribble Ultra SLR.

Any of you see one in person or know anyone who's ridden it? Reviews or thoughts? I've read/watched everything on the internets, it looks pretty amazing, and I love the crazy glitter paint job and handlebars.

UltraSLR_Hero_DuraAce_blkBkgrd_side-on-1340x754.jpg

That looks sick :bowdown:

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Strava has a button to correct distance and elevation based off of the roads you were on, instead of the recorded data.

Also, get a computer. Way better.
There's an MTB loop I've done a ton of times that's always 3400-3500ft but last weekend my Garmin recorded 3200. I thought that was weird so I corrected it and it went down to 3100 :confused:

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Life got in the way of riding the last couple months and my endurance sucks. I’m going to get back to it and hopefully road trip before winter to a cool spot with the fam and get some riding in.
Yea just hold the new chain up to the old one and remove links to match. Assuming the bike shop sized it correctly to begin with...

Reactions: {hydro}
TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Anyone ever get PAIN in their quads after riding? Not soreness but pain? Only happens on the right side. No knee/ankle/whatever else pain, just quads.
May need an adjustment? Could be that you're overstraining/overworking a bit too? Sometimes when it's super hot that can happen to me, almost like pre-cramps during the ride and then might be sore a day or two after.
used to happen a lot more, my seat was too low

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
I’m still planning on a canyon endurace in the not too distant future. Prob mid tier build though
My wife has one. They're not terrible but we have a couple problems. The first was sent back because the rear drop-out was not straight, yikes, though I've seen it on other bikes. The seat-post clamper thing has 10nm of torque, at the direction of Canyon, to keep it from slipping. No problems, otherwise, I'd probably buy one if I didn't have my sights set on a 2024 Cannondale road bike that fits 30s.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
May need an adjustment? Could be that you're overstraining/overworking a bit too? Sometimes when it's super hot that can happen to me, almost like pre-cramps during the ride and then might be sore a day or two after.
used to happen a lot more, my seat was too low
I got new shoes a few weeks ago and have been getting weird numbness at the front left knee + horrible squeaking sound from that pedal so I don't think my cleat angle is quite right on that side but my right side feels perfect with the exception of post-ride pain :hs:

ʎǝʞsoɹƆɔW

Looks like I picked the wrong week....
OT Supporter
Jul 21, 2004
The Potato Field
My wife has one. They're not terrible but we have a couple problems. The first was sent back because the rear drop-out was not straight, yikes, though I've seen it on other bikes. The seat-post clamper thing has 10nm of torque, at the direction of Canyon, to keep it from slipping. No problems, otherwise, I'd probably buy one if I didn't have my sights set on a 2024 Cannondale road bike that fits 30s.
hmmm seat tube slipping concerns me. which model does she have?

i'm considering this or the Di2 version. leaning more towards the former due to integrated handlebars and wheel/tire size & choice

Last edited:

DieselUV

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2004
LoCo, VA
It was an MTB ride in the woods. correction only changed it by .03 miles lol. I dont KNOW know, but the longer distance recording I got before is more common to what other people get with better gps devices so i would trust that it was true distance before i got the new phone
actually my buddy said a speed sensor helps with accuracy. i got the wahoo bolt bundle with the speed, cadence, and hr strap.

DieselUV

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2004
LoCo, VA
You can steer? I don't do that, lol. I just have an old cannondale supersix attached to a Kickr.

I do a lot of the group rides and virtual partner rides, because it gets me more miles in. I often feel like the structured training is fucked up and shorts you on mph.
i got the kickr bike when zwift had the crazy deal earlier this year. still haven't used the companion app either.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
I got new shoes a few weeks ago and have been getting weird numbness at the front left knee + horrible squeaking sound from that pedal so I don't think my cleat angle is quite right on that side but my right side feels perfect with the exception of post-ride pain :hs:
Sounds like a cleat adj to me sir.

Reactions: Alias
TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
I believe we talked about this:
View attachment 246784
RAMP tests are def not super accurate but they're "ballpark" and if you know your body/ride capabilities you can determine from there. My ramp tests say my FTP is 340-350w. In reality its more like 320-330. But it's close enough that I can do a ramp test vs a 20 min test (which I hate) and then I know just discount it 3-4%.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
hmmm seat tube slipping concerns me. which model does she have?

i'm considering this or the Di2 version. leaning more towards the former due to integrated handlebars and wheel/tire size & choice

I'm not sure which generation because the stem looks a bit different but probably the same frame. Lots of frame paste, I guess. I like traditional seat post clamps but whatever, I'd roll this dice in your shoes. I would, however, get the newer model so you get two bikes in one. You should absolutely buy the Di2 version. FD shifting with Di2 was not something I could forego when trying to put R8000 on my gravel bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: ʎǝʞsoɹƆɔW

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
RAMP tests are def not super accurate but they're "ballpark" and if you know your body/ride capabilities you can determine from there. My ramp tests say my FTP is 340-350w. In reality its more like 320-330. But it's close enough that I can do a ramp test vs a 20 min test (which I hate) and then I know just discount it 3-4%.
I was 40-60w off of FTP when using ramp tests and why I was doing so poorly.
I'm not surprised though. Some of this stuff that was ubiquitously embraced is now undergoing criticism and highly trained riders and coaches take incredible offense to it. I'm enjoying the plan from Empirical though because it's been extremely effective so far (new gains) and it provides for more enjoyable riding.

At 350w FTP, how much do you weigh?

Last edited:
TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
I was 40-60w off of FTP when using ramp tests and why I was doing so poorly.
I'm not surprised though. Some of this stuff that was ubiquitously embraced is now undergoing criticism and highly trained riders and coaches take incredible offense to it. I'm enjoying the plan from Empirical though because it's been extremely effective so far (new gains) and it provides for more enjoyable riding.

At 350w FTP, how much do you weigh?
50 watts off is huge you are right! My ftp isn’t 350 it’s more like 330. I weight 185ish lbs.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
50 watts off is huge you are right! My ftp isn’t 350 it’s more like 330. I weight 185ish lbs.
My numbers were observed and you are at 4w/Kg meaning you are legit fast and if you're anywhere but the hilly west, you are hard to catch. How long can you hold 330w?

WKO put me at 235w FTP when I started training in December, 2021; 272w last week at the end of a 5-week FTP block. I had a somewhat unreasonably elevated VO2/anaerobic capacity compared to FTP because of my history with racing CX. Looking back at my TP numbers, my 20 minute number went from 225w in December to 282 in August; 50 minute number went from 215w to 268 and my FTE TTE capacity pops right now at 45 minutes so that will go way up next year. My five minute went from 266 to 322 in that period as well, making it clear that FTP and VO2 are not married. It's also interesting that most of these ramp tests use normalized power which is useless for anything as it heavily favors 30-40 second efforts. Now, I'm regurgitating what I've read/heard/believe with extreme confirmation bias, but it's logical to me.

My goal is to stretch FTP to 272w for 70 minutes, then do another VO2 block, then see a 290w FTP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6SpeedTA95

ʎǝʞsoɹƆɔW

Looks like I picked the wrong week....
OT Supporter
Jul 21, 2004
The Potato Field
huh...... riding when it's 86 is better than waiting until it's 106 ....i am shocked (not really)

humid AF though.....still sweat like woah

also, little yippy dog off leash that chased me for a mile prob going to end up at the pound because i'm pretty sure he's too stupid to find its way back to the owner

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971