CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

MarcinMaximus

OT Supporter
Jun 7, 2005
Germany
I am going to buy another bike this fall and I am mixed in my decision between a gravel and a road bike. I want to go a bit „off-road“ but would also want to use that bike for triathlons. :hmm:

CraneCamsOU

Sep 1, 2003
Went out with a fairly fast B Group today for 49 miles. Garmin estimated I hit a new FTP record of 274 watts. Buuuut when looking at my power curve, the actual measured 20 min high was 231 watts.
This is a typical spread from garmin an both are a few watts higher than the previous estimated and measured records, so that’s good. Not sure how it comes up with the numbers though.

Fun ride, it’s good to get some group riding since I’m almost always solo

Reactions: 6SpeedTA95
TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
I am going to buy another bike this fall and I am mixed in my decision between a gravel and a road bike. I want to go a bit „off-road“ but would also want to use that bike for triathlons. :hmm:
If you aren’t worried about the last couple tenths get gravel. They aren’t that much slower. However in a triathlon I would be worried about .2mph. So your use case seems more road.

I’m going to turn my existing road bike into a gravel bike. Is that an option for you?

N8

The red eyes are just allergies.
Dec 27, 2001
Canada

I was in the same boat, ended up with a Cervelo Aspero which is essentially an R-Series that can take wide tires. 99.9999% of my riding is on 32c Gravelking slicks that can handle anything aside from the loosest gravel.

Might be a good option for you.

MarcinMaximus

OT Supporter
Jun 7, 2005
Germany
If you aren’t worried about the last couple tenths get gravel. They aren’t that much slower. However in a triathlon I would be worried about .2mph. So your use case seems more road.

I’m going to turn my existing road bike into a gravel bike. Is that an option for you?

The triathlons would just be a hobby, no real competition.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Went out with a fairly fast B Group today for 49 miles. Garmin estimated I hit a new FTP record of 274 watts. Buuuut when looking at my power curve, the actual measured 20 min high was 231 watts.
This is a typical spread from garmin an both are a few watts higher than the previous estimated and measured records, so that’s good. Not sure how it comes up with the numbers though.

Fun ride, it’s good to get some group riding since I’m almost always solo
I have no idea how Garmin measures FTP but my Garmin estimated FTP is always ~5% lower than WKO in TP. Remember that FTP is not your 20-minute power, it's almost no one's 60 minute power, it's the point at which you transition from burning fuel slowly to fast. I've learned to feel it in the last 9 months after being told precisely what my FTP is.
I was in the same boat, ended up with a Cervelo Aspero which is essentially an R-Series that can take wide tires. 99.9999% of my riding is on 32c Gravelking slicks that can handle anything aside from the loosest gravel.

Might be a good option for you.
Aspero is pretty lit and somehow one of the more affordable bikes. Also very cool to use external cable routing from the bars to the frame.

Reactions: CraneCamsOU

N8

The red eyes are just allergies.
Dec 27, 2001
Canada
I have no idea how Garmin measures FTP but my Garmin estimated FTP is always ~5% lower than WKO in TP. Remember that FTP is not your 20-minute power, it's almost no one's 60 minute power, it's the point at which you transition from burning fuel slowly to fast. I've learned to feel it in the last 9 months after being told precisely what my FTP is.

Aspero is pretty lit and somehow one of the more affordable bikes. Also very cool to use external cable routing from the bars to the frame.

Yup, it's a super solid buy for the money. I got the GRX600/800 model which was about $3800CDN when it first came out. Swapped out the bars and seatpost with Roval Terra, new tape and saddle and some DT Swiss wheels I already had and it is perfect.

The stock wheels on the lower builds are dog shit, so set some money aside for some decent hoops.

My local shop sells a shitload of them.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Put some miles on the Bianchi yesterday. Love this bike so much.

IMG-4339.jpg

IMG-4335.jpg

LE ROI LE VEUT

Sep 30, 2015
Built up the grx groupo yesterday. Everything going well but don't have the rear caliper adapter to run it for 160 rotors.

Also, found out while building it that my Easton EC90 SL cranks are cracked. They have like <500 miles on them. Wtffff

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
What's the best app out there to accurately track your cycling routes, regardless of if you are on roads, established trails, or going cross country and making your own route? Particularly the last point. Would be useful if it could be used while hiking too, bushwacking in the wilderness. I'd like to do random routes then be able to retrace my exact steps or bike routes at a later date.

diaper eater

OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2003
mpls, minnesota
What's the best app out there to accurately track your cycling routes, regardless of if you are on roads, established trails, or going cross country and making your own route? Particularly the last point. Would be useful if it could be used while hiking too, bushwacking in the wilderness. I'd like to do random routes then be able to retrace my exact steps or bike routes at a later date.
strava?

Reactions: DizzyEdge and N8

nadroj

OT Supporter
Sep 2, 2004
Houston
So this happened at the bike shop a few blocks from my house. People are dicks. :rofl:

Hanging out on the north end of redwood, making some runs on the jordan trail. Y’all sure got some fancy bikes around these parts. Did 2 miles today and saw a look, 2 sworks and a few of the trek electrics

Leaving in a few weeks, anywhere we need to eat before leaving? We have hit most of the high points throughout the valley

CopenKagan

OT Supporter
Feb 27, 2003
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hanging out on the north end of redwood, making some runs on the jordan trail. Y’all sure got some fancy bikes around these parts. Did 2 miles today and saw a look, 2 sworks and a few of the trek electrics

Leaving in a few weeks, anywhere we need to eat before leaving? We have hit most of the high points throughout the valley
I like the Garage Grill. There is one in Draper and one in Riverton. They cycle out some pretty cool cars as decoration, too. I went to the Riverton one about a month ago and they had a Saleen S7, Lotus Esprit, 430 Scud, a couple of F1 cars, and a Diablo. There is also R&R BBQ, but I really doubt it holds a candle to a good place in Texas. Their quality has declined a bit in the last couple of years as well. :hs:

And yes, there are tons of high end bikes running around here. I ride Corner Canyon in Draper all the time even high school aged kids are rolling around on $10k rigs. If you want some nice views, go ride the Mountain View Corridor. It has a MUP if you want, but the shoulders are pretty wide if you stay on the road (which is what I prefer).

Reactions: nadroj

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
I'm trying to do 45-60 minutes of FTP today and I'm so afraid I cannot will myself onto the bike, lol. TTE has become my identity since my FTP is so low and pathetic. I kind of want to do it inside, on the trainer, to control variables, just sit down and grind work.

Also, going to listen to Bolero for the last 15 minutes:

Reactions: 6SpeedTA95

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman