CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Decided to do Tour De Zwift, did Stage 1 today. Going to have to make up Stage 2 later as Ill be out of town for work.
looks fun, might sign up.

Does anyone know if you can mix A, B and C routes and still have it count, or do you need to commit to a level?

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Ok guys, I need some help. I have literally NO direction or goals for this year. No clue what I want to do or achieve.

Last year was my best year on my bike, had a ton of fun, but a few things changed at the end of the year that are gonna have an impact this year for sure.

Negatives:
- My really good riding buddy moved away - We both worked from home and had flexible schedules, and were really similar riding levels. We pushed each other a lot, both to ride more often, as well as to ride harder and faster. Not sure if i'll push as hard or ride as often solo, lost some accountability and competition.
- One of our riders was killed while on a group ride, and so the dynamic has been really strange, for good reason. A few folks have decided to move more towards virtual riding and don't plan to ride as much with the groups.
- My kids sports schedule is getting tougher/longer, and so my free time after work during normal group ride times is gonna suffer.

Positives:
- So far this year, I have 4-5 races/fondos schedules, and are looking for a few more, so if you know of any in the Northeast (within 3-4 hours of central NJ), let me know! Some of these I think i'm doing solo, which sucks.
- I'm also in the best shape of my life, and have dropped ~35lbs since mid summer. Stopped drinking on weekdays, and started intermittent fasting and cleaned up my diet.
- I started really digging into Zwift. Won my first 'C' race a few days ago. Still don't really like the interface and UI, but the riding is decent enough.

So help me out. How do I keep moving forward as a cyclist here? What goals should I have? I don't want to lose the momentum from last year.

Deets from last year that might add some context.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-11-at-10-09-31-AM.png

IMG-0011.jpg

Other milestones:
- completed a century at 22.5mph, finished under 4.5hrs
- Hit ftp of 275
- Hit max wattage of 1400

What do?

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Last night I was looking at the new colors specialized had for the Tarmac SL7 expert Di2 and idk if I’m missing something but it’s up $2800 (5.5k-8.3k) in a couple months with Roval C38s being the only change.

edit: Ultegra R8000 - > R8100 also

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tarmac-sl7-expert/p/199467?color=335321-199467

It's getting out of control. There are parts I've bought in the last 12-18 months that are double what they were the last time I bought.

Reactions: {hydro}

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
Ok guys, I need some help. I have literally NO direction or goals for this year. No clue what I want to do or achieve.

Last year was my best year on my bike, had a ton of fun, but a few things changed at the end of the year that are gonna have an impact this year for sure.

Negatives:
- My really good riding buddy moved away - We both worked from home and had flexible schedules, and were really similar riding levels. We pushed each other a lot, both to ride more often, as well as to ride harder and faster. Not sure if i'll push as hard or ride as often solo, lost some accountability and competition.
- One of our riders was killed while on a group ride, and so the dynamic has been really strange, for good reason. A few folks have decided to move more towards virtual riding and don't plan to ride as much with the groups.
- My kids sports schedule is getting tougher/longer, and so my free time after work during normal group ride times is gonna suffer.

Positives:
- So far this year, I have 4-5 races/fondos schedules, and are looking for a few more, so if you know of any in the Northeast (within 3-4 hours of central NJ), let me know! Some of these I think i'm doing solo, which sucks.
- I'm also in the best shape of my life, and have dropped ~35lbs since mid summer. Stopped drinking on weekdays, and started intermittent fasting and cleaned up my diet.
- I started really digging into Zwift. Won my first 'C' race a few days ago. Still don't really like the interface and UI, but the riding is decent enough.

So help me out. How do I keep moving forward as a cyclist here? What goals should I have? I don't want to lose the momentum from last year.

IMG-0011.jpg

Other milestones:
- Hit ftp of 275

What do?
When I started using TrainerRoad it was a game changer for me. Inside riding is a lot more convenient, but safety was a concern for me too. It is high quality workouts with measurable results, and you can plug in your goals/races, and it’ll auto generate a training plan for you. Most of my training rides are 60-90 min with some 2+. But every minute of the workout is focused and productive. I could set up the TR workout on my phone and then watch something on my iPad for an hour. I got higher power quicker and with less training time doing that compared to going outside on 3+ hour rides “loosely” structured, and dealing with cars, road conditions, flat tires, packing nutrition, stop signs, etc.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
When I started using TrainerRoad it was a game changer for me. Inside riding is a lot more convenient, but safety was a concern for me too. It is high quality workouts with measurable results, and you can plug in your goals/races, and it’ll auto generate a training plan for you. Most of my training rides are 60-90 min with some 2+. But every minute of the workout is focused and productive. I could set up the TR workout on my phone and then watch something on my iPad for an hour. I got higher power quicker and with less training time doing that compared to going outside on 3+ hour rides “loosely” structured, and dealing with cars, road conditions, flat tires, packing nutrition, stop signs, etc.
Totally get that. If I was training for races like you are, i'd 100% be working that way too. Honestly, right now I train and ride specifically for a combo of the unstructured group rides that we do and the bigger events/fondos. I ride with the 'A' group out here, and am trying to work my way up the ranks. We always have a handful of sprint and attack segments, and it's fun to go beat up on people.

I have a sufferfest sub that sounds a lot like trainer road. There are also a lot of structured workouts on zwift, and i've used some of them as well. The Zwift racing stuff is just what has captured my attention for the moment. There's actually a decent amount of strategy involved.

Outside of the handful of triathlons that i've done, i've never actually 'raced' my bike. Was always too scared of crashing to enter crits. Time Trials always seemed fun, but I never got into it. :dunno:

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
Totally get that. If I was training for races like you are, i'd 100% be working that way too. Honestly, right now I train and ride specifically for a combo of the unstructured group rides that we do and the bigger events/fondos. I ride with the 'A' group out here, and am trying to work my way up the ranks. We always have a handful of sprint and attack segments, and it's fun to go beat up on people.

I have a sufferfest sub that sounds a lot like trainer road. There are also a lot of structured workouts on zwift, and i've used some of them as well. The Zwift racing stuff is just what has captured my attention for the moment. There's actually a decent amount of strategy involved.

Outside of the handful of triathlons that i've done, i've never actually 'raced' my bike. Was always too scared of crashing to enter crits. Time Trials always seemed fun, but I never got into it. :dunno:
There’s lots of people who do TR during the week and then plan for their outside group rides on the weekend. Or whenever their group ride happens to be. And you pick whatever your event is and it’ll give you a workout plan. It’s pretty cool, they have a really good podcast too. And an active TR forum. If you want a free trial let me know. I’m not a rep or sponsored or anything

SeaMack99

OT Supporter
Aug 7, 2005
Nebraska
+1 on the trainerroad.

I use it primarily in the winter just so I can hit the sping running. Although the past couple years have been rough, because covid, I'm having a really hard time with motivation with the lack of events to put on my calendar.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
I have a client who wants to sell me his Kickr because he bought a Peleton. What should I offer?

Also, is anyone in the market for a Bushido Smart? :o :mamoru:

Do you know how old it is?

For me, anything under $500 would be a steal. Most in my area start off around $750, I have two, negotiated one down to $600, and got the other for $400 with a broken belt ($25 and 15 minutes to replace...)

CopenKagan

Feb 27, 2003
Salt Lake City, Utah
Do you know how old it is?

For me, anything under $500 would be a steal. Most in my area start off around $750, I have two, negotiated one down to $600, and got the other for $400 with a broken belt ($25 and 15 minutes to replace...)
No clue, I know that both him and his wife have used it for a couple of years. Where I already have the Bushido, it's not worth a ton of money to me.

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
Just got a call saying I can go in for hernia surgery this Thursday. Thought it would be a couple months out. Good timing to heal up before the good weather months.

Going to set up the bike with flat pedals on the trainer

vtec1994

It always rains at Le Mans
Jun 11, 2001
Atlanta
My Kickr is an 18, only issue it has its the power cord can lose connection if you move it around. Only once has it lost power because of this.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma

Negatives:

Positives:

IMG-0011.jpg

Other milestones:
- Hit ftp of 275

What do?
Dude your numbers are baller AF for only riding 4500 a year. Are you superman?

• Haha
Reactions: jared_IRL
TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
+1 on the trainerroad.

I use it primarily in the winter just so I can hit the sping running. Although the past couple years have been rough, because covid, I'm having a really hard time with motivation with the lack of events to put on my calendar.
I'm thinking about dumping swift after my bike fit and going TR. Do you approve?

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Dude your numbers are baller AF for only riding 4500 a year. Are you superman?
Thanks!!

I played ice hockey through college and into semi-pro and international leagues - legs have always been strong. Took me a minute to figure out how to spin efficiently though!

Actually, now that I think about it, I got introduced to cycling while rehabbing some torn ligaments that happened in an ice hockey game..

Also lol at *only* 4500. I don’t know how you guys do it, I struggle to find any more free time, my schedule is basically maxed out as it is!!

Reactions: 6SpeedTA95
TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Thanks!!

I played ice hockey through college and into semi-pro and international leagues - legs have always been strong. Took me a minute to figure out how to spin efficiently though!

Actually, now that I think about it, I got introduced to cycling while rehabbing some torn ligaments that happened in an ice hockey game..

Also lol at *only* 4500. I don’t know how you guys do it, I struggle to find any more free time, my schedule is basically maxed out as it is!!
I force myself to find time because it’s head clearing for me. Therapy.

I hope to make some progress this year we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor