CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
I've been spending way too much time researching MTBs lately even though I'm not quite ready to get back into it. :rofl: Nice to see stuff in stock and some sales going.

Had a 21 Evo Comp before and even though it was a great all arounder, I want something different. I've only owned specialized bikes lol.

Thinking something with slightly less travel/better climber even though so many bikes are good at a lot of stuff nowadays.
If you want a better climber, Ibis Ripley. Their suspension system is legit. Pretty sure my Ibis Ripmo (160mm front/145mm rear) climbed better than my Tallboy (140/120) :rofl:

Or if you want less travel, Ibis Exie. But I feel like you give up more on the way down (safety margin if nothing else) than you gain on the way up that route. 120mm is perfect for everything within 2 hours of Sac.

Reactions: {hydro}

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
If you want a better climber, Ibis Ripley. Their suspension system is legit. Pretty sure my Ibis Ripmo (160mm front/145mm rear) climbed better than my Tallboy (140/120) :rofl:

Or if you want less travel, Ibis Exie. But I feel like you give up more on the way down (safety margin if nothing else) than you gain on the way up that route. 120mm is perfect for everything within 2 hours of Sac.
Why'd you sell the ripmo? Ibis was actually my first love and I ordered the ripmo AF before I found the evo in stock. It's a killer deal now at $3300 on sale but I'd probably want the carbon if I went that route. Not really a huge fan of the "refresh" from what I've seen though.

Francis96se

poopie
Oct 24, 2001
PNW
Why'd you sell the ripmo? Ibis was actually my first love and I ordered the ripmo AF before I found the evo in stock. It's a killer deal now at $3300 on sale but I'd probably want the carbon if I went that route. Not really a huge fan of the "refresh" from what I've seen though.
because Ibis are ugly! :big grin:

case in point: The Oso.

Attachments

• IBIS-Oso-E-MOUNTAINBIKE-2023-0742-1140x760.jpg
    IBIS-Oso-E-MOUNTAINBIKE-2023-0742-1140x760.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 6

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
The XL frame is still just a little too small for me. The 2XL Tallboy frame gives more stack height and feels way better.

But if I was a little shorter I would 110% get a Ripley. DW Link definitely climbs better than VPP. But they both climb better than FSR. Ibis customer service is insanely good too.

Reactions: {hydro}

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Damn dude! Congrats!!!

Only KOMs I have are on worthless segments I created just so I could have a KOM.

Thank you. Strava has definitely been a big source of motivation for me and I'm really enjoying it. It's been pretty amazing to track my progress over the last 6 months going from occasionally riding a couple times a year to now hunting down segments to beat myself up on.

I don't have a lot of time in my schedule these days (kids, work, etc) so I can only really get out for maybe an hour at a time and most of my rides have been short-ish at 10-15 miles. Not great for endurance, but I'm sure getting faster in a sprint. I just crossed 300 miles on the Bianchi and it's been fantastic. Learned to ride with clipless pedals and that has made *so much* difference. I'm a pretty happy dude right now.

chrislehr

Feb 20, 2001
Thank you. Strava has definitely been a big source of motivation for me and I'm really enjoying it. It's been pretty amazing to track my progress over the last 6 months going from occasionally riding a couple times a year to now hunting down segments to beat myself up on.

I don't have a lot of time in my schedule these days (kids, work, etc) so I can only really get out for maybe an hour at a time and most of my rides have been short-ish at 10-15 miles. Not great for endurance, but I'm sure getting faster in a sprint. I just crossed 300 miles on the Bianchi and it's been fantastic. Learned to ride with clipless pedals and that has made *so much* difference. I'm a pretty happy dude right now.
If you have a place that does so, get a bike fitting done.. When I was about 6 mos in, I bought pedals and shoes, and made an appt - some pretty major adjustments made to ensure full range of motion and correct positioning, etc.. I got something like 25+ achievements, met two goals, and basically kicked so much more ass that ride.

1665505833987.png

Bike fitting = more power to the ground. Well worth it.

strik9

Verbing weirds language.
May 18, 2001
Md
Been watching/eyeing the Zwift Hub - sold out in minutes but not seeing any on secondary markets yet.
was looking at that too. i think i will probably just go with a kickr. was teetering between that and the garmin, but the garmin is a little more expensive and doesn't have leveling feet, so afraid my basement floor might not be completely level where i'm putting it.

DieselUV

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2004
LoCo, VA
what for? i thought zwift just rebranded one from a company they bought.
Wahoo sues Zwift over Hub trainer patent infringements claims - VeloNews.com

“The Hub is identical, in all material respects, to the KICKR CORE, one of Wahoo’s innovative bicycle trainers. By copying the KICKR CORE, Zwift has infringed three of Wahoo’s patents,” reads the case filed at the US District Court for the District of Delaware.

supposedly the Wahoo doesn't even make the Core.

strik9

Verbing weirds language.
May 18, 2001
Md

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman