CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
Thanks!!

I played ice hockey through college and into semi-pro and international leagues - legs have always been strong. Took me a minute to figure out how to spin efficiently though!

Actually, now that I think about it, I got introduced to cycling while rehabbing some torn ligaments that happened in an ice hockey game..

Also lol at *only* 4500. I don’t know how you guys do it, I struggle to find any more free time, my schedule is basically maxed out as it is!!
What kind of races would you recommend I start with as a noob? I only ride pavement now.

CraneCamsOU

Sep 1, 2003
I’m still casually shopping for a new road bike, knowing that everything is back orders only with delivery dates largely unknown.

Just now I go to check out the Ribble Ultra SL again….last week this was $4,700, now $7,200 and not shipping until Dec ‘22 Last month when I started shopping they said May deliveries :wtc:

Welp it’s down to $4,800, $5,048 with shipping. Lol must have been a mistake.

Pretty good deal, shame about the Dec ‘22 date

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
What kind of races would you recommend I start with as a noob? I only ride pavement now.
Real life races? If you're interested in crit racing, find a local group and go and try to hang on. Stay on the back for the first bunch of races/rides and just get a feel for it. It's super fun, but there are enough crashes that most people ride aluminum bikes instead of CF so they don't break.

Jumping into some large events and fondos is great too. I did a bunch of competitive gravel rides last year that either were chip timed, or were segment based. The segment based ones were fun, everyone was relaxed and chill for 75% of the ride, but hammered the timed segments.

Like I mentioned before, i'm getting into the Zwift racing right now. Mostly legs/effort based, but a little strategy and zero chance of crashing. Seems like a good compromise.

Reactions: {hydro}

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Welp it’s down to $4,800, $5,048 with shipping. Lol must have been a mistake.

Pretty good deal, shame about the Dec ‘22 date

I LOVE this bike, and Ribble seems like a good company. My road bike is a bit older, but is still in great shape, so i'm not ready to jump yet. When I do though, this bike is at the top of my list. I want the one with the weird handlebars though. The SL-R, I think?

Reactions: CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU

Sep 1, 2003
First ride with the Garmin vector 3, Edge 530 and heart strap. Says VO2 max is 48 and FTP 254.

I'm cycling 2,000 - 3,500 miles per year for a decade plus just as a hobby, no aspirations of racing. Buuuuuut I was hoping for more. At least now I have good training tools and goals for 2022.

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
I'm kinda bummed you sold the gravel bike, there's sooo much to ride on that kind of bike around here :hs:
I wasn't a fan of slow and bumpy :rofl:

I'd want one again if I was in the bay with flowy, up and down trails but I got bored here not having enough time to travel somewhere. Especially after starting with a FS mtb, I had no desire to ride anything other than smooth pavement on a drop bar bike.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
damn, Trek is buying a local chain that has 6 shops. gonna make it harder to buy a giant or specialized.
The good news is that if the supply chain ever recovers we can now shop on eBay without the guilt of not giving money to the LBS since they are all now Trek stores. It is quite sad now that no shops support races. Also funny that many of the shops around here buy parts from Competitive Cyclist, lol.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
I wasn't a fan of slow and bumpy :rofl:

I'd want one again if I was in the bay with flowy, up and down trails but I got bored here not having enough time to travel somewhere. Especially after starting with a FS mtb, I had no desire to ride anything other than smooth pavement on a drop bar bike.
I started on mtb, then road, then CX and yea it's bumpy. Takes some getting used to but with 40-45mm tubeless tires at the right pressures it's not that bad. I run 28psi front/35psi rear and I'm ~220lbs. Not sure what pressures you were running but that could be why it felt so bumpy.

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
I started on mtb, then road, then CX and yea it's bumpy. Takes some getting used to but with 40-45mm tubeless tires at the right pressures it's not that bad. I run 28psi front/35psi rear and I'm ~220lbs. Not sure what pressures you were running but that could be why it felt so bumpy.
I mean it really was mostly the speed. Why go ~16 when I can try for 19+

Last edited:
Reactions: Alias

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
I'm totally done with Trainer Road's training plans, it doesn't work for me. I've been trying Zwift, RGT, TrainerDay, Rouvy, etc. and Trainer Road's software and power match function is light-year ahead of them all and I'm keeping the application for $100/year. No doubt.

DieselUV

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2004
LoCo, VA
I'm totally done with Trainer Road's training plans, it doesn't work for me. I've been trying Zwift, RGT, TrainerDay, Rouvy, etc. and Trainer Road's software and power match function is light-year ahead of them all and I'm keeping the application for $100/year. No doubt.
:confused:

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
how high are you right now?

• Haha
Reactions: saabguy
TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Wat ?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor