CREW Cycling Crew 2022 - Older, slower, fatter, makes you badder

NULL_bits

Feb 10, 2021
I used to be almost purely a cycle commuter - one thing I like to brag about was the year when I only filled up the gas in my car twice, and only drove it a bit every other week just because having a car sitting around for a year doing nothing is bad for it, and I rode a little over 14.5K miles (averaging about 280 per week), and cycled for about 4 years (other years I was averaging about 8-10K miles) - but then shit happened (don't want to get into TMI), I became an alcoholic, and went from the absolute peak shape I've been in, into a 300 lb fatass, and it's crazy even thinking about my hardcore cycling days, seems like a completely different person.

WELL I'M BACK BABY! I rebuilt my CX bike and bought winter gear (my old gear doesn't even come close to fitting, I'm like a fat 12 year old bigger than I used to be) and I'm pumped as ever!

I might be older now, I'm certainly fatter, but cycling is the one healthy exercise that I genuinely love to do and become addicted to, so I can't wait to start become less of me!

My goal for next year is to get 5K miles in, hopefully more, but if I can average around 100 miles per week then that would be a great start! Before I become too old I want to break 15K miles in a year, but that probably won't be next year, hah. That 14.5K year was an insane amount of cycling (for me). Hardest part now is that my current job isn't very commuter friendly, so I'll have to cycle outside of that, it was easier to log tons of miles when I rode to work every day (which at that time was 25 miles round-trip)

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
I used to be almost purely a cycle commuter - one thing I like to brag about was the year when I only filled up the gas in my car twice, and only drove it a bit every other week just because having a car sitting around for a year doing nothing is bad for it, and I rode a little over 14.5K miles (averaging about 280 per week), and cycled for about 4 years (other years I was averaging about 8-10K miles) - but then shit happened (don't want to get into TMI), I became an alcoholic, and went from the absolute peak shape I've been in, into a 300 lb fatass, and it's crazy even thinking about my hardcore cycling days, seems like a completely different person.

WELL I'M BACK BABY! I rebuilt my CX bike and bought winter gear (my old gear doesn't even come close to fitting, I'm like a fat 12 year old bigger than I used to be) and I'm pumped as ever!

I might be older now, I'm certainly fatter, but cycling is the one healthy exercise that I genuinely love to do and become addicted to, so I can't wait to start become less of me!

My goal for next year is to get 5K miles in, hopefully more, but if I can average around 100 miles per week then that would be a great start! Before I become too old I want to break 15K miles in a year, but that probably won't be next year, hah. That 14.5K year was an insane amount of cycling (for me). Hardest part now is that my current job isn't very commuter friendly, so I'll have to cycle outside of that, it was easier to log tons of miles when I rode to work every day (which at that time was 25 miles round-trip)
Good for you man. I rode a ton in 2015/2016 then injured myself riding in 2016 and it made me question my passion for it and started riding a lot less. Last summer I decided I wasn't done being fit and got back into it full bore and it's been pretty rewarding feeling better and fitter :bowdown:

NULL_bits

Feb 10, 2021
Good for you man. I rode a ton in 2015/2016 then injured myself riding in 2016 and it made me question my passion for it and started riding a lot less. Last summer I decided I wasn't done being fit and got back into it full bore and it's been pretty rewarding feeling better and fitter :bowdown:

Damn man, sorry to hear about the injury. Good on your for hopping bad in the saddle! I'm currently on my 5th year without cycling and I'm a little nervous getting back on, hah. I did do a little 5 mile test run and it's sad how I lost just about everything, I felt gassed after a short easy trip, but I gotta start (or restart) somewhere! I used to do KOM runs on Strava, do centuries, etc, and now I'm struggling just going to the store and back! Guess being 300 lbs doesn't help much, I can't wait to get rid of all this fat.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Damn man, sorry to hear about the injury. Good on your for hopping bad in the saddle! I'm currently on my 5th year without cycling and I'm a little nervous getting back on, hah. I did do a little 5 mile test run and it's sad how I lost just about everything, I felt gassed after a short easy trip, but I gotta start (or restart) somewhere! I used to do KOM runs on Strava, do centuries, etc, and now I'm struggling just going to the store and back! Guess being 300 lbs doesn't help much, I can't wait to get rid of all this fat.
Get your diet in check too. Newly added exercise will help but you’ll make much faster progress with proper diet. Calorie count + lots of protein matter most.

Reactions: NULL_bits

NULL_bits

Feb 10, 2021
Get your diet in check too. Newly added exercise will help but you’ll make much faster progress with proper diet. Calorie count + lots of protein matter most.

Yeah for sure, I’m doing all the right things. Diet is doing much better than it was two months ago and I’m already seeing good results. Stopped drinking over a year ago, that was the biggest source of purely empty calories (it got pretty bad, I was downing a 12-pack of high ABV beer every night and eating like shit on top of it)

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Yeah for sure, I’m doing all the right things. Diet is doing much better than it was two months ago and I’m already seeing good results. Stopped drinking over a year ago, that was the biggest source of purely empty calories (it got pretty bad, I was downing a 12-pack of high ABV beer every night and eating like shit on top of it)
It’s a big lifestyle adjustment at first but once you realize how much better you feel it’ll become a motivator to avoid going back to feeling bad

NULL_bits

Feb 10, 2021
She’s ready!

Yes, I know it’s not the prettiest or more tricked out bike - but this thing has been really damn reliable as my commuter in the past (I’m the fat bastard that is hopping back on the bike after a 5 year long drunken hiatus).

Originally I bought it as a sorta “beater bike” primarily for commuting and slinging around on cyclocross tracks, but we have been through so many miles together than I can’t help but love it. According to Strava I have put about 26,000 miles on this bike total, and I hope to ride many more!

I unfortunately let it go to shit during my hiatus, but I fixed/cleaned it up and now it’s time to ride!

88Oi8AO.jpg

NULL_bits

Feb 10, 2021
You guys doing any Black Friday shopping?

I’m thinking maybe a jacket + bibs

Not exactly Black Friday, but REI has a sale going on (plus I had a 20% off coupon), so I kinda went a bit crazy. I don't fit into any of my old cycling gear (I'm a fat 12-year old larger than I used to be), so I basically had to re-buy all of that, including winter gear (merino is so damn expensive now! Even crazier than it used to be, but still worth it).

I also, for some reason, decided to upgrade my bike stand to a Feedback Sports Pro Elite. I had a Sport Mechanic stand which was perfectly adequate, but I was feeling particularly stupid the other day so I got that as well.

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
She’s ready!

Yes, I know it’s not the prettiest or more tricked out bike - but this thing has been really damn reliable as my commuter in the past (I’m the fat bastard that is hopping back on the bike after a 5 year long drunken hiatus).

Originally I bought it as a sorta “beater bike” primarily for commuting and slinging around on cyclocross tracks, but we have been through so many miles together than I can’t help but love it. According to Strava I have put about 26,000 miles on this bike total, and I hope to ride many more!

I unfortunately let it go to shit during my hiatus, but I fixed/cleaned it up and now it’s time to ride!

88Oi8AO.jpg
All bikes are cool, though some are cooler than others. Mainly mine are cooler than others.

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
You guys doing any Black Friday shopping?

I’m thinking maybe a jacket + bibs
I started looking at smart trainers. I’m still using a 10 year old cyclops dumb trainer. This is on sale for $600 from $1k :hmm:

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
I started looking at smart trainers. I’m still using a 10 year old cyclops dumb trainer. This is on sale for $600 from $1k :hmm:
I’d get a full smart bike tbh

NULL_bits

Feb 10, 2021
Damn it sucks being a fat motherfucker. 7 years ago I would ride to work (25-32 miles round-trip depending on route), then many days when I got home I'd either do a 20 mile or 40 mile loop, with tons of elevation change (lived in the foothills of CO), and be cool the whole time.

Today I did a mostly flat 5 mile ride and felt like I was going to die after I climbed a small hill to get back to my house. Good god I'm so out of shape!

Back in the saddle tomorrow though.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman