Cycling Crew - It's 2023! Let's play bikes...

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Go listen to that pod again, I've listened to it at least 3x. VO2 is high power, HR, and cadence; max heart stroke volume. When I do these I hit the button, sprint at 80% for like 10 seconds to get my heart going until it hits about 168, then settle-in at like 400w while my HR hopefully quickly climbs to 175bpm and I keep cadence at 110w. Power then slowly dwindles for the remainder of the 3-minute target.

You need to pedal way harder at the start, hammer until HR climbs to nearly 95% of max HR, and then try to hang onto power. You need to do them after rest. These are tough and during VO2 season, I get like 3 max VO2 workout per week and for the entire block I feel like I'm slowly dying. I usually do a 3-week block and then rest 5-9 days before another block with a max of three blocks per year, back to back. Then a rest, then an FTP test, and then we work on TTE.
Ok, so how much HR time are you getting in one of your VO2 workouts at HR>90%? Because it seems like your style of workout is definitely more intensity but a lot shorter in terms of work intervals. I think you said yesterday you're targeting 7x3min?

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Parts slowly trickling in. Got the front end finished up, mocked the bike up with some bars and deep section wheels to get an idea of what it'll look like. I think the narrow frame tubes will lend to the look of some shallower wheels for sure.

nOP2Gus.jpg

vxtZz5N.jpg

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Ok, so how much HR time are you getting in one of your VO2 workouts at HR>90%? Because it seems like your style of workout is definitely more intensity but a lot shorter in terms of work intervals. I think you said yesterday you're targeting 7x3min?
3 minutes or more, a max of 7 times in a 90 minute workout, I think. The first always feels impossible, the second through fourth feel like proper work, and the last few feel like I am deceased and count on a tailwind. I don't always make it to the last one. These are simulated heart attacks. Also, they work profoundly well after a rest. It's like going into a phone booth for the or four weeks, coming out wearing a cape and flying.

Reactions: 6SpeedTA95

beetle

blah blah blah
OT Supporter
Jun 1, 2001
Bay Area & Lake Tahoe
hi folks,

sorry for another basic question. what's the process to find the right bike saddle? I can cycle for hours on a peloton or on my commuter bike with no issues. but on my new road bike even just a short ride results in numbness and slight pain in my groin. I've tried moving the saddle forwards and backwards, and adjusting the angle. On the angle, small adjustments maybe just a 1-2 degrees downwards. Even with that adjustment there is pressure on my groin. Is there a way to try different saddles? I don't want to just buy something that may not be right.

appreciate any advice. thanks!

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
hi folks,

sorry for another basic question. what's the process to find the right bike saddle? I can cycle for hours on a peloton or on my commuter bike with no issues. but on my new road bike even just a short ride results in numbness and slight pain in my groin. I've tried moving the saddle forwards and backwards, and adjusting the angle. On the angle, small adjustments maybe just a 1-2 degrees downwards. Even with that adjustment there is pressure on my groin. Is there a way to try different saddles? I don't want to just buy something that may not be right.

1) I would assume the saddles are diff between bikes?
2) your position on the bikes is likely different as well
3) both of the above have a big impact on saddle and you may not have the same saddle across bikes due to position

A bike fit on the road bike is a big help. From there start the saddle search.

beetle

blah blah blah
OT Supporter
Jun 1, 2001
Bay Area & Lake Tahoe
oops forgot to mention -- got a bike fit, everything else is feeling good. feel like stroke is good/powerful, hands comfortable, position good. just the saddle is pressuring my groin. already tried moving saddle around, no relief. how do people typically find a saddle that fits their body? do stores normally have testers? or do I have to buy a bunch to try them out?

saddles on peloton/commuter bike are wider and more triangle shaped. is this kind of seat appropriate to a road bike?

CraneCamsOU

Sep 1, 2003
oops forgot to mention -- got a bike fit, everything else is feeling good. feel like stroke is good/powerful, hands comfortable, position good. just the saddle is pressuring my groin. already tried moving saddle around, no relief. how do people typically find a saddle that fits their body? do stores normally have testers? or do I have to buy a bunch to try them out?

saddles on peloton/commuter bike are wider and more triangle shaped. is this kind of seat appropriate to a road bike?
Take off the peloton seat and bring it to your bike shop. You should be able to find a close visual match, and likely they’ll loan it to you for a few rides

Reactions: 6SpeedTA95

Catdrew

Elitist Member
OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
kanadia

saddle style is based on a few things. You do not want the same saddle on a commuter and on a road bike.

yes to there are ways to get fitted for a saddle, and yes to there being tester saddles. Your fitter should have both. There are ways to measure your body to get in the ball park for saddle shape, and then demoing saddles should improve things from there

chrislehr

Feb 20, 2001
hi folks,

Search youtube for sit bone saddle measurements. Then do that and figure out what width seats make sense. Failing that, look for a saddle library - our town has two bike shops where you can check one out and trial it without a purchase.

Also, finally - bike fitting will help with positioning of the saddle - there are a lot of body mechanics I don't know or pretend to understand, but they do.

chrislehr

Feb 20, 2001

what saddle are you rocking on it?

Catdrew

Elitist Member
OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
kanadia
We have a bunch of new faces in here so I’ll mention again that should anyone ever have any tech or fitting questions please let me know. My working life is split between wrenching at a high end shop, and as a race mechanic with a uci pro team.

Similarly, if you guys have any questions about that sort of stuff let me know

chrislehr

Feb 20, 2001
bontrager verse pro

So that comes in four sizes.
1678163341971.png

Now - I don't LOVE ergon saddles, but their website has some decent reading on sizing:

Do those towel and aluminum foil or playdoh sit bone measurement and see what width you should run (image below from ergon site)
1678163464240.png
My wife and I were surprised to learn that my 5'11" 185lb body has small sit bones and her 5'3" 120 was a large (maybe just post child, who knows)

Also, the measures do NOT align, so 135mm Bontrager seat is not the same measure as the sit bones in the second image - here's the saddle measurements from Ergon

1678163652572.png

So you can quickly see the wide (see what I did there) variance on measures. So first off, know what you have - check a build/spec sheet or if you need to measure (but that's SUPER hard because I've measured many of my seats and it's never exactly what the spec says measured straight or with the curve!)

Since you bought Trek, I'd call a shop and ask them if they have a test stand they can swap out the sizes with and you can go test spin in the shop.

And sometimes, the seat just sucks. Sometimes its just a getting used to it.

I have two saddles I use that I hated the first week. My brooks saddle and my s-works power were both PAINFUL after the first ride and made me not want to get back on, but there is some degree of "toughen up that ass" here too. Also, a decent bike short upgrade (or just shorts if you have not already) can make a world of difference.

Oh and seats range from like 124-184 for road bikes. Check the filters here if you decide its the Bontrager design that you dislike!

And if you are trying a new saddle, go look on ebay and don't pay full price - tons of us buy nice saddles HATE them and when we find the one we like, sell the box in the closet filled with saddles your ass hates.

fair warning, I have only been into this a year, but this is what I know from that time. I have three bikes and have gone through 5 saddles on them all combined. I have yet to sell the box in the closet as some of the saddles I will likely reuse in the future.

chrislehr

Feb 20, 2001
We have a bunch of new faces in here so I’ll mention again that should anyone ever have any tech or fitting questions please let me know. My working life is split between wrenching at a high end shop, and as a race mechanic with a uci pro team.

Similarly, if you guys have any questions about that sort of stuff let me know
I am (like tomorrow) taking my bike to the shop to remove my integrated bars (420x110) to go to 420 bars with a 100mm stem (with +/- 6 degrees) for better bike fitting options/control. I will miss my wireless look, but my neck/back will thank me.

My question(s):
1) Can they reuse the existing bar tape or is that a one time application
2) If I am planning a bike fitting after this (last bike fit was in nov and I've changed pedals, shoes, saddle, stem and bars since then) should I have them hold off on bar tape until the fitting appointment and THEN apply it or is there no benefit there?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.14.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zyfinity