ART D300s: pictures have too much noise...any ideas?

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
I know the first thing you are thinking is post the damn pictures so that we can see what you are talking about. Problem is...they are of a couple that doesn't want them posted on the Internet. :ugh2:

I was shooting ISO 200 and 400. Properly exposed according to the meter readings on the camera and the histrogram. Apperature and Manual modes were used. And 3 different lenses were used. All the shots were done between 8am-10am so it wasn't dark.

There is noise/grain in ALL of the pictures when you zoom in. I shot in RAW and imported into Lightroom 3. I haven't had this issue before with these lenses...so I'm thinking that I must have changed a setting on the camera to screw these up.

Any ideas?
If you reviewed your pictures and saw noise like this, what would be your first few steps of troubleshooting?

I've shot 1,000's of properly exposed pictures before, so while I admit I'm still learning, this isn't a case of me just pulling the camera out of the box and not being able to make it work. I'm assuming it is either a simple brain fart, or a setting burried in the camera somewhere that I never learned how to adjust/what it does.

Help!

Last edited:

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
Post question about a picture, fail to post picture...

But seriously, to answer your question, 3.

TS
TS
YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
The picture makes it look a little worse than what you see on the screen because it is a little larger, but you get the idea.

Cesium says its a little under exposed...hmm... It just seems like I haven't had this issue in the past so, and I set the camera using the same methods (so I thought). It just seems like I am doing something different (wrong obviously).

I've got some others with the same issue, but the histogram shows higher exposures.

I might just re-set the camera to factory defaults and then one by one go through my settings again. It just seems like I must have inadvertently changed something and not realized it.

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
I've also noticed more noise at relatively slow shutter speeds. 1/30th or so produces slightly more noise than, say, 1/200th. Temperature can play a role too, from what I've seen.

Factory default settings would be a good start. Maybe your camera has some highlight retention trickery function turned on.

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
That seems odd...looks like Auto-ISO was on (obviously not) since you haven't changed anything else or ever encounter this prob.

Maybe go through all the settings in your camera and make sure they look right/correct?

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Tried a different raw converter? Maybe your lightroom install has gone funky.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
upload an actual raw file. I'd like to be able to convert it and check out the entire file myself.

TS
TS
YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
are these on/off?

active d-lighting
vignette control
long exp. NR
High ISO NR

Thinking about this while I was driving into work this morning. I'll check those when I get home.

:x: Hoping it is a setting/software issue and not a camera issue. I just recently bought the damn thing. If I had this issue with ALL my shots, I would be more inclined to believe that I suck at photography. :mamoru: But since this just recently happened, and NOT with my D90, I am inclined to believe it is just a setting that I have overlooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19