GUN Dad is in talks with American Vintage Guns V. Buying company

Ghostrider4450

Aug 25, 2005
Out of my mind, brb never.
Dad is in talks with American Vintage Weapon Systems V. Buying company

So in 45 minutes I will be going out to lunch with my dad to discuss a joint business venture that involves the purchase of American Vintage Weapons Systems which does roughly a million and a half in sales a year and is the largest factory direct distributor of Patriot Ordnance Factory firearms and gear. They operate out of Sarasota Florida from a nondescript 1000 sq/ft warehouse and do all their business online through a website. I'm wondering, whats WMD's take on online retailers/distributers? Anyone here own a shop/distribution warehouse? My father has owned and run a half dozen or so businesses and I run a small film production outfit, but this would be our first foray into the firearm business world. What say you WMD?

Their current website: http://www.avguns.com/main.html

Patriot Ordnance's site: http://www.pof-usa.com/

Also, we both love guns and shooting, so this is not a do-it-strictly-for-the-money decision, though we both are in it to turn a profit.

Last edited:

Thunderbear

Yggdrasil's Forester.
So, they sell POF ordnance, or are POFs parent co? I'm curious about that. Maintaining exclusivity to POF would be a huge plus for a potential buyer. Small overhead, and an aggressive word of mouth campaign via WMD and TGV, and it could be a hell of an investment. With some discounts, prizes, custom merch et cetera. Good luck.

beetle

blah blah blah
OT Supporter
Jun 1, 2001
Bay Area & Lake Tahoe
something to be aware of, avguns has been caught more than once trying to fake postings on various firearms boards. Typically the owner will come in and post a message along the lines of "hey everyone, you should check out avguns -- they were great! they built exactly what i wanted and nobody else had them, etc, etc". Then someone gets wise and suspects that this is no 3rd party posting. Eventually the owner gets caught and then he registers a new account and posts stuff like "i also bought from avguns, he's great"

here's an example of what I'm talking about:
http://forum.lwrci.com/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6608

there are others. Anyways, just wanted you to be aware that you might have to do a little "clean up" after the transaction to re-establish the reputation of avguns. good luck with the purchase!

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
If it goes through, I might be talking to you about getting some POF stuff for the shop I work at :o

TS
TS
Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450

Aug 25, 2005
I say do it.

And then give me a job and/or sweet discounts.

:mamoru: :rofl:

So, they sell POF ordnance, or are POFs parent co? I'm curious about that. Maintaining exclusivity to POF would be a huge plus for a potential buyer. Small overhead, and an aggressive word of mouth campaign via WMD and TGV, and it could be a hell of an investment. With some discounts, prizes, custom merch et cetera. Good luck.

They are the largest authorized exclusive factory direct dealer that sells Patriot Ordnance gear and firearms, as well as custom gunsmithing in their shop. When the acquisition takes place, we have plans for revamping the site completely, and incorporating all of the above mentioned. The low overhead makes the whole operation make sense, since they do not have a "storefront," they don't have to bother with the bullshit that comes with in-store retail sales.

something to be aware of, avguns has been caught more than once trying to fake postings on various firearms boards. Typically the owner will come in and post a message along the lines of "hey everyone, you should check out avguns -- they were great! they built exactly what i wanted and nobody else had them, etc, etc". Then someone gets wise and suspects that this is no 3rd party posting. Eventually the owner gets caught and then he registers a new account and posts stuff like "i also bought from avguns, he's great"

here's an example of what I'm talking about:
http://forum.lwrci.com/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6608

there are others. Anyways, just wanted you to be aware that you might have to do a little "clean up" after the transaction to re-establish the reputation of avguns. good luck with the purchase!

We became aware of this a few days ago while doing due diligence and researching the company top to bottom. That included google searches of popular and high traffic gun forums/blogs for any info regarding their past business practices and methods . Needless to say, we will be doing quite a bit to "re-brand" the public image of AVG without really changing the major internal business functions they have working at the moment.

If it goes through, I might be talking to you about getting some POF stuff for the shop I work at :o

Well as soon as we get everything squared away here in the next month, we shall have to talk.

Thanks for the feedback and support guys. :wavey:

This should be a fun venture, both from a business perspective and from a gun enthusiasts point of view. :bigthumb:

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
GR, would you guys be willing to modify guns in shop to have CA-compliant bullet button setups? My shop is basically the go-to place for EBRs in the San Fran/San Jose area, but getting them into the state can be a PITA (suppliers that won't read the laws, suppliers that charge stupid amounts for CA-compliance, etc).

GearHead

Jun 14, 2004
Murrika
GR, would you guys be willing to modify guns in shop to have CA-compliant bullet button setups? My shop is basically the go-to place for EBRs in the San Fran/San Jose area, but getting them into the state can be a PITA (suppliers that won't read the laws, suppliers that charge stupid amounts for CA-compliance, etc).

BAGV?

spagina

Banned
Sep 2, 2003
el bicho raro
If you need a middleman, my rate is $40/rifle.
Someones father is in negotiations for a half-baked weapons shop that peaked on sales when Obama was running for office and scared the shit out of everyone, and still everyone wants either a job, or a piece of the action?

Sad, even for this venue....

THT

The easy way is always mined
Mar 16, 2005
The booby hatch
Someones father is in negotiations for a half-baked weapons shop that peaked on sales when Obama was running for office and scared the shit out of everyone, and still everyone wants either a job, or a piece of the action?

Sad, even for this venue....

Middlemen FFLs serve as a way for people in CA to get guns that they otherwise would not be able to get due to a manufacturer not wanting to build a compliant model. For instance, with the SCAR, removal of the pistol grip makes it CA compliant however FNH does not ship them this way. As a middleman, I can order the rifle on behalf of a store in CA, make it legal, then ship it on to them. I should have quoted but my previous post was directed at PanzerAce

mstad

Apr 6, 2009
Oregon
If you need a middleman, my rate is $40/rifle.
ty.gif

But really, that's cool that you offer that service.

TS
TS
Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450

Aug 25, 2005

That's something my father and I discussed. It seems that most national specialty suppliers or distributors either charge out the ass, or won't deal with California all-together. I know there's a huge market in Cali, there's just a lot of hoops you have to jump through to reach that market legally.

beetle

blah blah blah
OT Supporter
Jun 1, 2001
Bay Area & Lake Tahoe
That's something my father and I discussed. It seems that most national specialty suppliers or distributors either charge out the ass, or won't deal with California all-together. I know there's a huge market in Cali, there's just a lot of hoops you have to jump through to reach that market legally.

the perception is that it's "difficult" but the reality is that it's pretty simple, and there's a huge market.

For Rifles:
1) Install magazine locking device like a "bullet button"
2) Ensure that the magazine is blocked to 10 rounds or less
3) Log the shipment into the CFLC (California Firearms Licensee Check) system.
4) Profit $$$

Be active on www.calguns.net, be CA friendly, and you'll get a ton of business.

TS
TS
Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450

Aug 25, 2005
the perception is that it's "difficult" but the reality is that it's pretty simple, and there's a huge market.

For Rifles:
1) Install magazine locking device like a "bullet button"
2) Ensure that the magazine is blocked to 10 rounds or less
3) Log the shipment into the CFLC (California Firearms Licensee Check) system.
4) Profit $$$

Be active on www.calguns.net, be CA friendly, and you'll get a ton of business.

I know from being on here and other, larger gun forums that Cali is a huge market that would be a shame to ignore like so many other distributors. It's def on the table and we plan to service Californians just like anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan