CAR DD Recommendations time...

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>ABQ>SEA>CLT
So I could give you the whole long story as to why but, it's boring so..

Here's what I want...

• Under $35k new or used is totally fine, if used - I want to be able to find examples under 45k miles for $35k
  • Automatic transmission (wife doesn't do manual and needs to be able to drive it occasionally)
  • 4 seats and a little bit of trunk space - nothing excessive, something bigger than a Versa though lol.
    • It should be able to ferry 4 people for 20-30 mins, or carry a full costco load for a couple people (likely never both) - sedan is fine, hatch/wagon is too - Prefer it's not an SUV but would hear arguments for one
  • Android Auto/Car play (or can easily be added in the aftermarket; whether that be aftermarket headunit or some sort of software box/upgrade)
  • decently comfortable and quiet on the highway
  • decent mpg (let's say over 25mpg highway, and over 22mpg mixed), more is better but willing to be ok with the bare minimum here for a fun car
  • adaptive cruise control
  • leather seats with lumber support
    • heated/vented seats would be nice
  • would be cool if it was quirky/unique but not necessary

Context - Car will be used for errands during the week, and then long trips to see family in VA or PA (4.5 and 8.5 hour drives from NC)

TS
TS
Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>ABQ>SEA>CLT
I personally think you'd be nuts not to buy a Model 3. You can get a brand new standard range plus for $38k including autopilot.
That gives you everything on your list, except it doesn't have android auto.
Yeah except I said I want to be able to drive 565 miles/8.5 hours - I don't want to have to stop TWICE to do that.

Ry-Ballz

This sucks, change the channel
Jan 10, 2001
Mexico
If I had a higher budget AND I didn't want to drive to PA, I'd consider one. But it's simply not a via option

Of course it's a viable option. You'd definitely add a bit of time vs a gas car, but it's not nearly like you think. A lot of people think it means sitting from 0% to 100% which takes a long time. In reality you're making more numerous short stops. Tesla's planner says that a 560 mile trip would take 9 hours. Pretty damn close to your 8 and a half hours in a gas car.

So, is an extra half an hour worth it? For 1, it's a lot cheaper in the electric car. It's also got autopilot and is more than likely going to be a better car to drive compared to other cars in your price range.

If half an hour is a deal breaker, you should disregard cost and fly instead of drive, because clearly time is of the utmost importance here. If a half an hour isn't a deal breaker, why not do the trip in the car that drives itself so you don't show up tired as balls after your trip?

I used to think the same way. I make a 1,000 mile trip a couple times a year, and when I was younger I'd do it on 1 stop. I had a diesel car, and would make my first stop at ~600 miles. I'd wake the kids up in the morning, fill the car and get back on the road. I'd do the trip in 14 hours, and I'd be absolutely wasted for the first day of our vacation.
Now I do it in the Tesla. It takes 16 hours instead of 14. We stop and eat lunch and dinner while the car charges. But I arrive feeling fine because the car did the drive for me.
Sure it costs me 2 hours, but I don't feel like a bag of shit when I get there.

The idea that you can't roadtrip an electric car is not only wrong, but it's backwards. It is literally not a concern once you own one, and you'll realize that you had it wrong the whole time.

intro_vert13

fuck them kids
OT Supporter
Feb 26, 2005
an offshore haven somewhere
Of course it's a viable option. You'd definitely add a bit of time vs a gas car, but it's not nearly like you think. A lot of people think it means sitting from 0% to 100% which takes a long time. In reality you're making more numerous short stops. Tesla's planner says that a 560 mile trip would take 9 hours. Pretty damn close to your 8 and a half hours in a gas car.

So, is an extra half an hour worth it? For 1, it's a lot cheaper in the electric car. It's also got autopilot and is more than likely going to be a better car to drive compared to other cars in your price range.

If half an hour is a deal breaker, you should disregard cost and fly instead of drive, because clearly time is of the utmost importance here. If a half an hour isn't a deal breaker, why not do the trip in the car that drives itself so you don't show up tired as balls after your trip?

I used to think the same way. I make a 1,000 mile trip a couple times a year, and when I was younger I'd do it on 1 stop. I had a diesel car, and would make my first stop at ~600 miles. I'd wake the kids up in the morning, fill the car and get back on the road. I'd do the trip in 14 hours, and I'd be absolutely wasted for the first day of our vacation.
Now I do it in the Tesla. It takes 16 hours instead of 14. We stop and eat lunch and dinner while the car charges. But I arrive feeling fine because the car did the drive for me.
Sure it costs me 2 hours, but I don't feel like a bag of shit when I get there.

The idea that you can't roadtrip an electric car is not only wrong, but it's backwards. It is literally not a concern once you own one, and you'll realize that you had it wrong the whole time.
:rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: alex and Tupac

Dolan

Low self of steam.
OT Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
United States
So I could give you the whole long story as to why but, it's boring so..

Here's what I want...

• Under $35k new or used is totally fine, if used - I want to be able to find examples under 45k miles for $35k
  • Automatic transmission (wife doesn't do manual and needs to be able to drive it occasionally)
  • 4 seats and a little bit of trunk space - nothing excessive, something bigger than a Versa though lol.
    • It should be able to ferry 4 people for 20-30 mins, or carry a full costco load for a couple people (likely never both) - sedan is fine, hatch/wagon is too - Prefer it's not an SUV but would hear arguments for one
  • Android Auto/Car play (or can easily be added in the aftermarket; whether that be aftermarket headunit or some sort of software box/upgrade)
  • decently comfortable and quiet on the highway
  • decent mpg (let's say over 25mpg highway, and over 22mpg mixed), more is better but willing to be ok with the bare minimum here for a fun car
  • adaptive cruise control
  • leather seats with lumber support
    • heated/vented seats would be nice
  • would be cool if it was quirky/unique but not necessary

Context - Car will be used for errands during the week, and then long trips to see family in VA or PA (4.5 and 8.5 hour drives from NC)

This list is pretty basic, there's really no reason to spend $35k if you don't specifically want premium features. If you start with that list of requirements and shop for cars with around 20k on them, you could save a hella chunk of change.

The Great Deceiver

21st Century Schizoid Man
May 27, 2006
2020-hyundai-sonata_100718584_l.jpg

hondaluva

likes free hugs...
Jul 6, 2001
A loaded Accord Touring is right at 35k.

I would also take into consideration a 18'-19' Kia Stinger GT2 if you want about 100 more hp than the Accord. Only thing is that you'd be getting 21mpg mixed. (17city/25highway)

Reactions: Aznpho

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright Ā© 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman