FIT Decline Bench Press Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrari430

Mar 18, 2007
Canada
When doing my decline bench, my grip is fairly narrow (ring finger on the barbell line). Most people I see doing decline have their index fingers on the line or even further than that.

The reason why I don't go wider is because my shoulder starts to feel vulnerable and strained if I go much wider than my grip. But the downside to my grip is that I get a lot of tricep engagement.

So my question is: If I keep my grip the way it is, am I hindering my ability to push heavier weight? If so, should I widen my grip a little more, do lighter weight and perhaps a bit of shoulder strengthening to become accustomed to it?

My thoughts on it so far are that my current grip feels most comfortable and natural (even though I know my tri's are getting worked quite a bit more) and that I should keep with it. But with my goal of trying to raise my numbers and get stronger, I just wanted to get a second opinion.

If it at all matters, my decline bench numbers from yesterday were:
95x5
135x6
175x3
155x4

This was done after Incline bench. And yes, I know it's lightweight.

Cheers

TS
TS

Ferrari430

Mar 18, 2007
Canada
Thanks Ceaze.

Kind of a stupid question, but whatever I'm going to ask anyways.. When you guys are working out, do you prioritize certain lifts over others?

For example, for my chest workout I do the following:
Incline BB
Decline BB
Fly's etc etc

I am trying to get my overall pressing strength numbers up, especially in decline. Is it better to just warmup with incline and not push myself too much on it so that I have more energy/chest isn't as tired to hit decline?

Right now I push myself with going as heavy as I can on Incline, and then hit decline afterwards.

I ask this because I found the same kind of dilemma with my other workouts (go heavy or light on leg press because i'm doing squats after).

So keeping in mind my goal of improving my overall muscle group strength, should I push myself for each and every exercise or save a bit of energy to favour some lifts over others?

phelix

forums superstar
Aug 21, 2004
miami
This is all you need to know.
Is it really that simple? I remember in "so you think you can bench" the guy mentions that people with shoulder problems often mistakenly use too narrow of a grip and using a wider grip can reduce the amount of shoulder extension. Or does this not apply if your shoulder is just feeling "strained"?

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
A wider grip is usually better for people with AC joint issues, but less wide is usually better for other shoulder pathologies.

vudoodoodoo

May 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Thanks Ceaze.

Kind of a stupid question, but whatever I'm going to ask anyways.. When you guys are working out, do you prioritize certain lifts over others?

If you're trying to get decline BP up, I would start off my workouts w/ decline BP. Alternate between starting w/ that and starting w/ weighted dips IMO. And then do other shit like DBs.
Why decline?

TS
TS

Ferrari430

Mar 18, 2007
Canada
If you're trying to get decline BP up, I would start off my workouts w/ decline BP. Alternate between starting w/ that and starting w/ weighted dips IMO. And then do other shit like DBs.
Why decline?

I just want to push heavy ass weight and put on some mass. I only weigh 145 haha and right now my goal is to get my decline up to 225.

The whole month of August I was cutting and got pretty lean. Now I'm starting my clean bulk. Plan is to lift heavy, low reps, and eat fairly clean. Reason being, I would rather be lean year round and slowly gain size + strength as opposed to bulking way up and cutting back down.

TS
TS

Ferrari430

Mar 18, 2007
Canada
Too fatty amigo. My body is very responsive to what I eat. If i eat like shit, I'll look it.

Right now my usual food intake is as follows:

Breakfast:
- 6 egg whites
- Toast

Lunch:
- 1 Chicken breast
- Blended Vegetables shake
- Fruit

Gym

- Protein shake
- Whole grain rice cakes

Dinner:
- Chicken breast
- Salad (lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, bit of sauce)
- 2 12 grain breads

I know it can be better, and I know I should be eating a Lot more. But with school and all, I hate taking a bunch of shit to campus so I just take whatever is easy. I probably should be upping my carbs + protein and overall calories but haven't managed to do so yet.

phelix

forums superstar
Aug 21, 2004
miami
Ceaze do you think there's a point where you can go too narrow?

If I use too narrow of a grip I end up flaring my arms more which puts more strain on my shoulders than a wider grip. Should I just learn to tuck my elbows better?

I suppose I can just ask the big shot ortho that I'm seeing next week about this.

Last edited:

Foty

Jul 15, 2007
Houston
Too fatty amigo. My body is very responsive to what I eat. If i eat like shit, I'll look it.

Right now my usual food intake is as follows:

Breakfast:
- 6 egg whites
- Toast

Lunch:
- 1 Chicken breast
- Blended Vegetables shake
- Fruit

Gym

- Protein shake
- Whole grain rice cakes

Dinner:
- Chicken breast
- Salad (lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, bit of sauce)
- 2 12 grain breads

I know it can be better, and I know I should be eating a Lot more. But with school and all, I hate taking a bunch of shit to campus so I just take whatever is easy. I probably should be upping my carbs + protein and overall calories but haven't managed to do so yet.

Then do it. Add some fats too. Nuts, pb, etc. Easy to fill a ziploc bag full of almonds or make a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

TS
TS

Ferrari430

Mar 18, 2007
Canada
Then do it. Add some fats too. Nuts, pb, etc. Easy to fill a ziploc bag full of almonds or make a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Good idea. Instead of toast in the morning, I'll have a whole grain bread loaded with nutella and pbutts. And I'll just keep a jar of almonds in my car.

Soldier101

Jun 9, 2003
United States
Good idea. Instead of toast in the morning, I'll have a whole grain bread loaded with nutella and pbutts. And I'll just keep a jar of almonds in my car.

if you WANT to get up to 160 then I'm thinking you are a pretty thin or possibly shorter guy? If you are super thin but taller you should probably be eating so much (healthy food not shitty food) that you feel like you are going to pop all the time in order to gain mass.

The Method

Lurker In Progress
Jan 20, 2003
Saint Louis
In my opinion your grip is fine, exposing your shoulder to injury or trying to work through some sort of unnecessary pain in order to up your numbers (and no offense, but ESPECIALLY at the numbers you're putting up) will most likely only result in an injury that will hinder your progress much much more in the long run.

TS
TS

Ferrari430

Mar 18, 2007
Canada
if you WANT to get up to 160 then I'm thinking you are a pretty thin or possibly shorter guy? If you are super thin but taller you should probably be eating so much (healthy food not shitty food) that you feel like you are going to pop all the time in order to gain mass.

I'm 5'8. Right now I'm around 140-145, so for now as a short term goal I'm trying to put on some weight and gain strength, while remaining fairly lean. I'd probably say that I'm at about 10-12% body fat, and I'd like to stay that way for the winter.

Bacchus

Skinny Guy
Mar 18, 2009
T.dot
you need to eat more dude.

rice cakes after a workout? did you just give birth or something?

eat some fucking carbs, bro.

TS
TS

Ferrari430

Mar 18, 2007
Canada
I like to taper my carbs off as I go later into the evening and try not to eat after 11pm. To compensate I plan on upping my carbs during breakfast/lunch with some whole wheat pasta or someshit.

coke zero

Jun 1, 2011
I like to taper my carbs off as I go later into the evening and try not to eat after 11pm. To compensate I plan on upping my carbs during breakfast/lunch with some whole wheat pasta or someshit.
If you want to get to 160 in one winter then two things will happen:

1) you will need to incorporate fat sources into your diet. Right now you have almost none and your fat is coming in from marginal amounts included in your protein/carb sources. Don't be scurred of some fat. Eating fat does not make you fat, and it's a crucial component of a healthy diet for general wellness in addition to achieving a more muscular physique.

2) your bodyfat % will increase. Don't care how clean your diet is, if you gain 15lbs in one winter or even one year you will be gaining some fat. If you have amazing genetics, perfect sleep, and perfect nutrition along with lifting smart then you can gain a lot of muscle but not that much. Unless you are on sauce. Again, don't be scurred. You can diet off a few lbs of fat in a single month by going back to your annorexic brad pitt in fightclub diet that you're currently eating.

kilian

Babysitting Adults
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2007
Central Coast, CA
Probably 5+ guys on here who have recurring or past issues from benching wide.

Listen to ceaze on this one dude.

Save yourself the trouble later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec