Delayed Messages in Outlook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BigPaul, Oct 25, 2006.

1. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

I’ve got a user who is not receiving her e-mails on time.

She says she hit send/receive multiple times yesterday and never got anything. This morning when she came in she said there were messages dating back to 9am yesterday morning.

This user is on an internal account so any e-mail she’s receiving would come from our exchange server. No one else is reporting delayed messages, so I’m assuming its something to do with her outlook being retarded… :dunno:

Any clues?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I've seen other slow email stuff lately, too.

I have an older friend who was using Lycos for email, and all the emails were getting delayed or failing. I wound up having to create a new hotmail account for him.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Uh...you do know what Exchange is, yeah Emmet? It blows POP3 out of the water. Totally different system. It's actually a proprietary form of IMAP server, so everything you do on any email client gets propagated instantly to the server and to every other email client.

First of all, hitting Send/Receive does nothing to an Exchange email account. Outlook doesn't have to ask for Exchange emails, it gets told when there are new emails ready for it. Everything happens on an as-needed basis. The Send/Receive button is there for POP email accounts or users that are on dialup.

It could be her Outlook being retarded, it could be that she went to tweak some setting or another and she fucked something up, or it could be her domain user account isn't authenticating, or...who knows. I'd start with copying the Registry settings for Outlook from a machine that works and installing those same settings onto her machine, then I'd uninstall and reinstall Outlook if that doesn't work, and then I'd start looking for flaws in Active Directory.

Interestingly, I couldn't get email for a day because my password expired about five minutes after I logged onto my machine in the morning, and I didn't get to reset my password until I rebooted the next day.

4. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

Not entirely true. Working offline w/ cached exchange mode set to on requires send/receive to be hit for it to sync up.

To the OP, have you tried checking for a corrupt ost file? Thats usually a good place to start.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I do believe I said:

Granted, working offline has the same effect as being on dialup, but that's because very few people would remain connected via dialup for longer than necessary. In the case of such a user, hitting the Send/Receive button serves only to trigger the dialup connection, after which the Exchange server will do its thing automatically.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yeah the Work Offline button at the bottom right gives people all kinds of grief at my work.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I have no idea of that, since I never use it. I did think that it was pop3 though.
    Soooooooooo, in the words of the great Roseanne Roseannadanna...

NEVERMIND!

8. MeanGreen

MeanGreen Active Member

before the put out a script in the OU's that automaticaly setup the excahge accounts where a user would logon for the first time, we would have a number of users that would select 'chached exchage mode' during first config and we would get issues such as the ones your getting