FIT Did I seriously injure myself doing shrugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP

Sep 10, 2002
Silicon Valley
I've been doing them for years and never had any issues.

Last Friday I was doing them and on my second set felt a very sharp pain just to the left of my spine more in the upper area of my back.

Anyways It hurts to do just about everything, I noticed in the mirror the left shoulder side (traps) are actually lower than the right both relaxed and flexed. It's now been 4-5 days now and the pain doesn't seem to be getting any better.

the "rhomboid major" (in the diagram) is the area it really hurts. Trying to move while sleeping or turning my head is pretty painful. Any suggestions? I tried ice but it didn't seem to do anything.

muscular_system_diagram_back.jpg

Thanks brolys :wtc:

edit: I forgot to mention that today on my way to work my left arm started to get a little numb. I don't think it was serious...more like just not enough blood getting to it. Just thought I would mention that :(

Last edited:

kronik85

Feb 8, 2005
Deutschland
seriously injure? probably not.
tweaked? sure.

whenever I tweak anything the first thing I do is go find the nearest foam roller and loosen everything up, grab a tennis ball and slowly, deeply work my way through the area. i've tweaked my lower/upper back a few times in the last couple months and generally at the end of the first day I feel 80% or so, the next day 90%, and 95%+ over the next 2 or 3 days.

i would suggest heat over ice for some relaxation of the muscle(s).

TS
TS
MP

MP

Sep 10, 2002
Silicon Valley
seriously injure? probably not.
tweaked? sure.

whenever I tweak anything the first thing I do is go find the nearest foam roller and loosen everything up, grab a tennis ball and slowly, deeply work my way through the area. i've tweaked my lower/upper back a few times in the last couple months and generally at the end of the first day I feel 80% or so, the next day 90%, and 95%+ over the next 2 or 3 days.

i would suggest heat over ice for some relaxation of the muscle(s).

yeah I didn't really think it was "major" but on the flip side I'm stubborn when it comes to pain.

By heat over ice do you mean a heat pad for a while (15 min) then ice pack (15 min)?

kronik85

Feb 8, 2005
Deutschland
yeah I didn't really think it was "major" but on the flip side I'm stubborn when it comes to pain.

By heat over ice do you mean a heat pad for a while (15 min) then ice pack (15 min)?

i wouldn't ice a pulled muscle, which is what it sounds like to me. why do something that would tighten/contract a muscle? it's probably bro-science, but i wouldn't ice it unless there was inflammation.

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
Anytime I've started doing lots of shrugs in my routine, I'll inevitably strain a muscle around the medial border of my scapula. So I don't do them at all anymore. They're detrimental to your neck and shoulder function anyhow.

TS
TS
MP

MP

Sep 10, 2002
Silicon Valley
Anytime I've started doing lots of shrugs in my routine, I'll inevitably strain a muscle around the medial border of my scapula. So I don't do them at all anymore. They're detrimental to your neck and shoulder function anyhow.

I don't really do very heavy shrugs. My traps explode and I look funny if I do.

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
Strong upper traps relative to lower traps fucks your shoulders by moving your shoulders up and out of center causing impingement. You probably just tore some shit though. Don't do shugs they're dumb for all but a few people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448