CAR Did you know PepBoys closed their retail stores?

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
I got new tires a couple weeks ago. The PB manager is a former customer of mine so I try to shop at his store when I need something. Tried to browse around the store and it was empty and all roped off. I asked him about it and he said they closed it in early March, but it wasn’t really covid related.

He said they got bought by Icahn automotive group last year. And IAG also owns a lot of the brands for parts and supplies that autoparts stores buy. The thought was that PepBoys would be getting these parts at or near cost to sell in their stores. But AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, O’Reilly basically said if you’re going to own the retail stores and sell your stuff there, then we’re not buying those parts from you any longer. So they has to shut down the retail side of PB so the other parts stores would continue buying from the other companies that Icahn Automotive Group owns.

now PB only has the service department, and 900+ retail locations are closed and empty. So if you’re looking for a chrome skull shifter knob for your geo tracker, you won’t find it at PB anymore :wtc:

cooly

OT Supporter
Jan 23, 2006
I'll keep this in mind for next time I need stick on fender vents or a license plate frame with skulls

Reactions: Scottwax

Sideways

Swallow that, and wash it down with this.
Jul 28, 2001
Westside
Where is Juan and Pepe going to get all the chrome stick on bling for their 20 year old honda accord now?

10dementianal

Mar 29, 2007
At first I read Ichan auto as Callahan auto... Yikes
giphy.gif

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
I got new tires a couple weeks ago. The PB manager is a former customer of mine so I try to shop at his store when I need something. Tried to browse around the store and it was empty and all roped off. I asked him about it and he said they closed it in early March, but it wasn’t really covid related.

He said they got bought by Icahn automotive group last year. And IAG also owns a lot of the brands for parts and supplies that autoparts stores buy. The thought was that PepBoys would be getting these parts at or near cost to sell in their stores. But AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, O’Reilly basically said if you’re going to own the retail stores and sell your stuff there, then we’re not buying those parts from you any longer. So they has to shut down the retail side of PB so the other parts stores would continue buying from the other companies that Icahn Automotive Group owns.

now PB only has the service department, and 900+ retail locations are closed and empty. So if you’re looking for a chrome skull shifter knob for your geo tracker, you won’t find it at PB anymore :wtc:
Whoa — i went to the local pep boys back in june to pick up a battery and it was setup like that — entire store roped off and the layout was changed to basically be a parts counter

didnt know they all but shut down :o

FutureMan

On the rights of your wealth, I disagree
OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
Liberal Enclave of Darien, CT
Whoa — i went to the local pep boys back in june to pick up a battery and it was setup like that — entire store roped off and the layout was changed to basically be a parts counter

didnt know they all but shut down :o
That’s what it should have been in the first place. Why the fuck do I have to walk past a hundred feet of air fresheners and Mountain Dew to get to the parts counter

• Haha
Reactions: jaunt and Cicada

Narc

Stuck in the #CroneZone
OT Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
I liked pep boys (at least the 2 I ever went to) because their stores were actually big.

The vatozones and oriellys around here are like 1/3rd the size.

Narc

Stuck in the #CroneZone
OT Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
Plus pepboys had that regular 30% off AGM battery's that stacked with 30-50$ rebates.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan