TECH Digi janitor crew. Advise pls on image deployment on a not perfect environment. Virtualization woes.

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
~20 Workstations in primary location and 5 in a secondary. Potential for a third location w/ another fuck idk 20 more that could come next year or in 10. :wtc:

Currently this is server setup. I know it's not great, I don't have fund allocation worth dick at any one time so it's always piece meal. Non-profit yay.

2 Domain Controllers not virtualized. I wish they were. 1 primary and 1 failover secondary.

I think best for scalability and price point(free) is just MDT/WDS/WSUS.

In a perfect world I'd just throw this onto a secondary VM so as it's not playing directly w/ the DCs. But since the DCs themselves aren't on a VM, I'm considering just saying fuck it and adding the server roles to play with them. With what's ultimately few workstations and OUs/roles I'm thinking it'll be fine. Thoughts?

WS6Formula350

2018 updated user text
Jul 5, 2001
Birmingham, AL
we use SmartDeploy and boy howdy is it a piece of something. great when the console service isn't constantly crashing and i can't migrate profiles.

no idea how much it costs because it's corp hosted. but supposedly it'll run on just a regular desktop :rofl: i have about 100 times the amount of PCs than you do though. YMMV.

WS6Formula350

2018 updated user text
Jul 5, 2001
Birmingham, AL
it's nice in the fact that it will deploy driver updates/driver bundles as part of the imaging process if you aren't using something totally wackadoodle. can do remote deployments from the console. user state migration/etc.

TS
TS
imbored

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
it's nice in the fact that it will deploy driver updates/driver bundles as part of the imaging process if you aren't using something totally wackadoodle. can do remote deployments from the console. user state migration/etc.

these are exactly the things I want

but looks like it's 885/50 machines to start :o

i ain't gonna convince the boss to spend a grand on imaging software when I could just do them one by one myself :wtc:

WS6Formula350

2018 updated user text
Jul 5, 2001
Birmingham, AL
these are exactly the things I want

but looks like it's 885/50 machines to start :o

i ain't gonna convince the boss to spend a grand on imaging software when I could just do them one by one myself :wtc:
yeah before they rolled out SmartDeploy to us me and one of the other guys built our own MDT version. SmartDeploy is nice because you can just capture a VM and run with it. we've uplifted about 1900 machines and have about 700 to go. most of it has been hands on. the remote imaging component isn't always successful.

however, this was due in part to the way they were turning on BitLocker and it was requiring user intervention to clear/activate TPM. i spun up our own image and removed that task but i haven't bothered trying remote imaging again since then since we have been swapping in 8GB/SSDs on everything we touch so we get another few years out of the hardware.

WS6Formula350

2018 updated user text
Jul 5, 2001
Birmingham, AL
@imbored it matches drivers by WMI query and everything... it really does save time. and since it's a sysprep'd WIM you can reimage a machine and it's back up in less than 30 minutes. time is money too :o

TS
TS
imbored

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
yeah before they rolled out SmartDeploy to us me and one of the other guys built our own MDT version. SmartDeploy is nice because you can just capture a VM and run with it. we've uplifted about 1900 machines and have about 700 to go. most of it has been hands on. the remote imaging component isn't always successful.

however, this was due in part to the way they were turning on BitLocker and it was requiring user intervention to clear/activate TPM. i spun up our own image and removed that task but i haven't bothered trying remote imaging again since then since we have been swapping in 8GB/SSDs on everything we touch so we get another few years out of the hardware.

seems like the entry point of ease is a good bit higher with MDT, but it can do all the things if setup perfectly. considering how basic the infrastructure here is currently, I think it'd be rather good. but I'm cautious because of the server setup currently :hs:

TS
TS
imbored

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
@imbored it matches drivers by WMI query and everything... it really does save time. and since it's a sysprep'd WIM you can reimage a machine and it's back up in less than 30 minutes. time is money too :o

if we were actually building out the third location now, I could justify it. as it is, it's ~25 workstations. and since this is primarily aimed at finally going to W10 I could just do a few a day and be done w/ it all manually in a couple weeks.

just trying to be smarter to start since now is a good time to set it up

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
I know :o

i was like "can i just virtualize the existing DCs?" and google told me that was a bad idea :rofl:

i dont miss this no money but want something done bullshit.

azure cloud has to offer something for this.

TS
TS
imbored

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
i dont miss this no money but want something done bullshit.

azure cloud has to offer something for this.

in pure honesty, nobody is asking for this

I'm just about to finally do the move to W10 and was trying to be smart and do it correctly

I'm real tempted to just buy some good 1TB drives that I can throw in the hot swap bay and just fucking go with it on the physical DCs. It just scares me cause DCs are little princesses and I don't wanna make them mad :wtc:

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
in pure honesty, nobody is asking for this

I'm just about to finally do the move to W10 and was trying to be smart and do it correctly

I'm real tempted to just buy some good 1TB drives that I can throw in the hot swap bay and just fucking go with it on the physical DCs. It just scares me cause DCs are little princesses and I don't wanna make them mad :wtc:

its like 6 bucks a month for a virtual machine on azure.

or

WS6Formula350

2018 updated user text
Jul 5, 2001
Birmingham, AL
seems like the entry point of ease is a good bit higher with MDT, but it can do all the things if setup perfectly. considering how basic the infrastructure here is currently, I think it'd be rather good. but I'm cautious because of the server setup currently :hs:
It's stupid simple

MDT is a pain in the dick to get right/troubleshoot in my experience lol

Reactions: couchlock
TS
TS
imbored

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
its like 6 bucks a month for a virtual machine on azure.

or

:hmm:

oh. as in use this to migrate away from physical hardware for the DCs?

I like this, and if we build out a fancy new building, this would be very ideal, in the least that I could hybridize it and have the fancy location using an Azure AD instead of relying on something like a VPN Tunnel to transfer user info from the main office.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
:hmm:

oh. as in use this to migrate away from physical hardware for the DCs?

I like this, and if we build out a fancy new building, this would be very ideal, in the least that I could hybridize it and have the fancy location using an Azure AD instead of relying on something like a VPN Tunnel to transfer user info from the main office.
you can/should have hybrid. some physical on prem. some cloud for uho bad things happened. plus you can begin to learn azure. imo if you're not learning it you're gona get left behind in the next 5-10.

Reactions: imbored
TS
TS
imbored

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
It's stupid simple

MDT is a pain in the dick to get right/troubleshoot in my experience lol

what very well might happen is I might just oversee the W10 deployment myself since we're talking like 22-23 machines right now, and if/when we build out new building I say I need actual image ability get me this. I might spin up an old 2008 server and get 2016 and make it a WSUS server.

lol idk

TS
TS
imbored

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
you can/should have hybrid. some physical on prem. some cloud for uho bad things happened. plus you can begin to learn azure. imo if you're not learning it you're gona get left behind in the next 5-10.
i can roll this into my want for cloud backup needs pretty easily. suppose I could start off by just adding it as a tertiary DC so it's essentially a clone of the forest should the building get blown away by a 'nader. and then repurpose/add additional for new building when/if it comes online.

i like it

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
i can roll this into my want for cloud backup needs pretty easily. suppose I could start off by just adding it as a tertiary DC so it's essentially a clone of the forest should the building get blown away by a 'nader. and then repurpose/add additional for new building when/if it comes online.

i like it

correct.

then you get into DC's at locations being less important.

then suddenly you just start booting new servers in azure

then you work on a project to migrate it all there.

bye bye DCs

• Love
Reactions: imbored
TS
TS
imbored

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
correct.

then you get into DC's at locations being less important.

then suddenly you just start booting new servers in azure

then you work on a project to migrate it all there.

bye bye DCs

love it. thx bb. totally what i want for future of DCs.

now wtf do I do for WSUS for update management and potential MDT/WDS for imaging in this poverty current iteration. :rofl:

at the absolute bare minimum I have to get WSUS rolling.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
love it. thx bb. totally what i want for future of DCs.

now wtf do I do for WSUS for update management and potential MDT/WDS for imaging in this poverty current iteration. :rofl:

at the absolute bare minimum I have to get WSUS rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan