CREW DIY build thread

D_Nice

Super-Moderator
Super Moderator
Feb 2, 2001
houston
picked up a sexy walnut off cut from the local millshop

7uYBzanh.jpg

also picked up a 8/4 8x7 walnut board and a 6/4 x 7 x 9 piece of hard maple yesterday

brought the kiddo to help pick out the lumber

DNMwU8kh.jpg

cleaned all the cosmo off my new jointer :coold:

TkrOZEmh.jpg

thew this together

aKbtefZh.jpg

NucaSioh.jpg

still deciding how to finish it :hs:
Grizzly jointer?

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

Chirp08

Jan 26, 2008
i want to build a long sofa table of sorts to go behind the couch, between the couch and window sill, to put plants. the window sill isn't wide enough for most pots to be stable on.

i don't really care how pretty it is since its basically entirely behind the table other than maybe the top. the window is 100" wide but i was thinking of using an 8' piece to make it easier. 'appearance grade pressure-treated board' seems cheap & nice enough. considerably cheaper than the home depot project board or mdf pieces.

my idea was to take a 1" x 6" x 8' piece and make it the top, over a frame made with maybe 2x3's or something? thoughts? my ideal is 8' wide and 3' high with that 6" deep top.

Fairly straight forward since your only cuts are on the frame. If you wanted to get fancy you could glue two 2x3's together (making a 3x2.5" actual size blank) and taking your time use your circular saw, a straight edge and some clamps cut them down to nice 2x2 square legs. They won't be as perfect as if you had a planer/jointer/table saw but they will be close enough. You can then use some pre-cut lumber for the rails to finish the clean look.

TS
TS
michael

michael

Florida Man, Esq.
Dec 21, 2001
The ether
i want to build a long sofa table of sorts to go behind the couch, between the couch and window sill, to put plants. the window sill isn't wide enough for most pots to be stable on.

i don't really care how pretty it is since its basically entirely behind the table other than maybe the top. the window is 100" wide but i was thinking of using an 8' piece to make it easier. 'appearance grade pressure-treated board' seems cheap & nice enough. considerably cheaper than the home depot project board or mdf pieces.

my idea was to take a 1" x 6" x 8' piece and make it the top, over a frame made with maybe 2x3's or something? thoughts? my ideal is 8' wide and 3' high with that 6" deep top.
You’re gonna use PT wood…inside?

D_Nice

Super-Moderator
Super Moderator
Feb 2, 2001
houston
Yeah

waiting on the fucking table saw, which is coming by train from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale. SO maybe it'll arrive sometime before 2024.

:hs:
I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for a planer. I know the dewalt 13" is usually the go to, but I think I would prefer starting out with a helical one. I've been looking at Grizzly, Oliver, and Rikon.

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Jew Space Laser Control Center
idk, the price seemed right. and if i'm gonna have plant pots that transfer calcium deposits & it gets wet i figured maybe it was a good idea. is there a reason not to :dunno:
Don't use PT lumber inside. The chemicals that are off-gassed aren't great for you. You would need to wait a long time for it to dry out completely.

Seal non-PT wood with waterproofing (or epoxy coat it) if you're that concerned. Not to mention you could have a tray at the bottom of the pot anyhow.

MiseryIndex

open your eyes child, your sea is changing.
Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
It’s uglier, has chemicals that are bad for you, heavy, and unnecessary.
Don't use PT lumber inside. The chemicals that are off-gassed aren't great for you. You would need to wait a long time for it to dry out completely.

Seal non-PT wood with waterproofing (or epoxy coat it) if you're that concerned. Not to mention you could have a tray at the bottom of the pot anyhow.

ok good to know, thanks. thats why i was asking lol.

Reactions: xconverge

Mejnoon

May 6, 2000
Omaha, NE
idk, the price seemed right. and if i'm gonna have plant pots that transfer calcium deposits & it gets wet i figured maybe it was a good idea. is there a reason not to :dunno:
If it’s not going to be seen maybe use melamine for the top, you can get pre-made shelf boards at Lowe’s/Hd that may be the finished width you need already

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
Damn... When woodwork meets my love for plants. Wish I had the tools to make these :eek3:

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
Damn... When woodwork meets my love for plants. Wish I had the tools to make these :eek3:

jigsaws are pretty cheap, you could totally make that

Reactions: Colleen

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony 74