CREW DIY build thread

Thumpin'Ram

I'll level with you. These bags weren't designed f
Jul 15, 2001
Goodbye mailbox
oo just found this thread

this bay window bench is recentish (2021 atleast)

j3HYEn2.jpg

I have so much going on I dont even know whats worth posting :rofl:

just finished a quick and easy guitar expression midi pedal -> usb with an arduino and some code

Doing a lot of electrical still, some hvac, decent amount of plumbing

I have a bunch of voltage sags around 5:00 - 6 every day so I made a DMM logger, I just sent off the first data to the "voltage quality team" at PGE, but doubt they will do anything

5DV1Wzg.png

WQvW1Oc.jpg
That could also be you. Do you have any large current draw during that period?

D_Nice

Super-Moderator
Super Moderator
Feb 2, 2001
houston
Put together my first ever cabinet carcass. Cave together perfectly, then I realized my planned for a completely wrong height and it's easily 3 inches short. Thankfully it's just going in the garage. I built a quick 2x4 base to raise it up. The other 3 cabinets in this miter station will be the correct height.

PXL_20211228_223637884.jpg

xconverge

OT Supporter
Apr 11, 2008
San Francisco, CA
just making sure. Most people don't understand electricity, ohms law and Kirchhoff's mesh/node analysis.
I have an EE degree and replaced all of the knob and tube in my house last year :shrug:

I think we have an overloaded node, I skipped the step of asking the neighbors so I wanted to be very sure it wasnt me before contacting PGE haha, not really sure what they will do about it

Thumpin'Ram

I'll level with you. These bags weren't designed f
Jul 15, 2001
Goodbye mailbox
I have an EE degree and replaced all of the knob and tube in my house last year :shrug:

I think we have an overloaded node, I skipped the step of asking the neighbors so I wanted to be very sure it wasnt me before contacting PGE haha, not really sure what they will do about it
you get the same dip at the meter (or main feed into the panel)?
If that was knob and tube, it's possible PGE infrastructure to the house is a bit undersized.

xconverge

OT Supporter
Apr 11, 2008
San Francisco, CA
you get the same dip at the meter (or main feed into the panel)?
If that was knob and tube, it's possible PGE infrastructure to the house is a bit undersized.

I havent put the logger on the main feed, no convenient way so figured I would start at the 2 phases via receptacles close to the panel

Will see what the voltage quality team says, trying to skip a few steps (initial 1-6) here

Code:
How we respond to voltage complaints

Once we receive a customer’s call, we dispatch a PG&E Troubleman from the local office.
    We call in advance to give our estimated time of arrival. If the customer does not answer, we leave a voice message.
    Upon arrival, the Troubleman performs the initial investigation. If the area is not accessible, we leave a card with contact information requesting the customer to reschedule the visit.
    If the voltage issue is resolved, we’ll let the customer know in person or leave a Service Report.
    If we don’t find a problem, we may install a Recording Volt Meter (RVM) and leave it for a few days to collect voltage data for investigation.
    The RVM is removed and the data sent to PG&E Voltage Reliability Team.
    The Voltage Reliability Team contacts the customer with their findings. They let the customer know of any actions required to correct and resolve the problem.
    The Voltage Reliability Team responds to an inquiry within 48 hours after receiving an RVM data file.

Reactions: Thumpin'Ram

Chirp08

Jan 26, 2008
What's everyone using for dust collection? Just spent WAY too long cleaning up my basement wood shop and it's time to make this not a thing.

FlyNReeLow

Elite Member #200
Mar 14, 2000
Central Coast, CALI
Put together my first ever cabinet carcass. Cave together perfectly, then I realized my planned for a completely wrong height and it's easily 3 inches short. Thankfully it's just going in the garage. I built a quick 2x4 base to raise it up. The other 3 cabinets in this miter station will be the correct height.

View attachment 183756

#DeWaltBois

Mejnoon

May 6, 2000
Omaha, NE
What's everyone using for dust collection? Just spent WAY too long cleaning up my basement wood shop and it's time to make this not a thing.
I’ve tried a couple of different setups and didn’t like either very much. First I had a shop vac with a bucket-top separator mounted above it (cheap one from rockler that isn’t as tall as most). Worked ok, separator pulled most of the particles, but it wasn’t powerful enough and it tipped over to easily with the bucket above the shop vac, plus it was tricky to adapt to the large dust port on the cabinet saw I had at the time.

Then I got an entry level jet, 1hp I think, one of the mobile ones with canvas bags. Total PITA to use, just as easy to tip as the shop vac, and the way the top bag was constantly pulling out of the clamp which would let dust leak out. I got rid of this when I sold the cabinet saw about a year ago, def do not recommend this style of dust collector.

Now I’m just wheeling everything outside to work and not really worrying about dust collection. One day I will have a dedicated shop with proper dust collection :hsd:

Last edited:

grizzy

OT Supporter
Sep 12, 2004
Cinci, OH
Friend of ours is out of town till after new years, haven't done our Christmas exchange with her yet. She likes penguins so I figured I'd make her a little guy to sit on her desk. Made with a couple hex nuts, spoon handles and a washer.
8ualJi5.jpg

Then I decided to make it look a bit more like her :rofl:

CLpqz80.jpg

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
honestly just buy the nicest thing you can afford for your space, really depends what you're after
I have a clearvue shop vac sized unit that's leaps and bounds better than the Dusttopper I started with from HD.
Just have a poverty HF dust collector for full size tools

Reactions: Chirp08

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Jew Space Laser Control Center
honestly just buy the nicest thing you can afford for your space, really depends what you're after
I have a clearvue shop vac sized unit that's leaps and bounds better than the Dusttopper I started with from HD.
Just have a poverty HF dust collector for full size tools
This.

I use a shop vac + dusttopper for small stuff + a larger Powermatic for the big stuff.

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Jew Space Laser Control Center
In other news, the 56" heavy duty tool cabinet from Home Depot doesn't come with the damn wheels already on the bottom cabinet, so I gotta figure out how to not kill myself (as I'll be by myself) while manipulating a 420 pound cabinet around without damaging it, plus get the 230 pound top box onto it :o

Oh, and no engine hoist as it's 230 miles away on loan to a buddy.

If you don't hear from me by tomorrow, I'm dead in my garage. @Cashishift can have all the stuff.

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
In other news, the 56" heavy duty tool cabinet from Home Depot doesn't come with the damn wheels already on the bottom cabinet, so I gotta figure out how to not kill myself (as I'll be by myself) while manipulating a 420 pound cabinet around without damaging it, plus get the 230 pound top box onto it :o

Oh, and no engine hoist as it's 230 miles away on loan to a buddy.

If you don't hear from me by tomorrow, I'm dead in my garage. @Cashishift can have all the stuff.
Leverage, or a floor Jack and chunk of 2x8

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony 74