TECH Do I need a second video card to run a second monitor

enginuity

Aug 20, 2005
Do I need to buy an extra video card to run another monitor or can I buy a USB to VGA converter cable?

Seluryar

Jan 22, 2005
Blue Marble Island
most modern video cards have at least 2 outputs.

if your computer is from best buy or similar, then you may need a video card in the first place to run 2 monitors

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
No such thing as a USB-to-VGA converter cable. Anything that appears to be one must have a tiny video card built into it somewhere. Not the best approach if you want the second screen to be capable of displaying anything more complicated than still images.

retorq

What up bitch??
Dec 14, 2006
Mohave Desert
No such thing as a USB-to-VGA converter cable. Anything that appears to be one must have a tiny video card built into it somewhere. Not the best approach if you want the second screen to be capable of displaying anything more complicated than still images.

Seriously?! Stop giving advice in here ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+video+adapter

OP: There are shitloads of them on the market and they work wonderfully for most practical applications. We use the EVGA ones in our dispatch center, they have 5 monitors split between 2 computers.

thekraft

Mar 2, 2005

OP: There are shitloads of them on the market and they work wonderfully for most practical applications. We use the EVGA ones in our dispatch center, they have 5 monitors split between 2 computers.

I can't vouch for the performance, but he's right about there not being any USB-to-VGA ADAPTERS. They're basically mini GCs that you can plug in via USB.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005

Dude, seriously? Do you notice the large boxy thing on one end of each of those cables? Those are the video cards. They're just video cards that connect using USB instead of PCI Express. Yes, I'm sure they work fine, but they're not just "USB to VGA cables" like the OP thought they were. THAT is what I was clarifying.

USB 3.0 might have sufficient bandwidth to run a 3d-accelerated video card, but USB 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth. Keep that in mind when buying one of these.

retorq

What up bitch??
Dec 14, 2006
Mohave Desert
Dude, seriously? Do you notice the large boxy thing on one end of each of those cables? Those are the video cards. They're just video cards that connect using USB instead of PCI Express. Yes, I'm sure they work fine, but they're not just "USB to VGA cables" like the OP thought they were. THAT is what I was clarifying.

USB 3.0 might have sufficient bandwidth to run a 3d-accelerated video card, but USB 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth. Keep that in mind when buying one of these.

God you are such a doucher. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Foriam2you0

Oct 13, 2011
Most modern computers have two adapters. I can hook up four with mine but I only use three. I have two NVIDIA Quardro NVS 280 PCI's and an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400's. I dont game so they work fine for me. Plus, the Quadro's both have a double VGA chord.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor