CAR CREW Do we have a Tesla crew?

Topgun

OT Supporter
May 23, 2003
MN
FSD is such trash, how do people say it's good with a straight face? I have zero confidence Tesla is going to get FSD working properly at this point.

The highway stuff is mostly fine, everything else is garbage.

TS
TS
Bugalu

Bugalu

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2003
Nashville
FSD is such trash, how do people say it's good with a straight face? I have zero confidence Tesla is going to get FSD working properly at this point.

It’s gotten better and better with every update. It is nice to use on city streets though turns it still definitely ain’t great.

I do question if they will be able to pull it off with the hardware or at least the FSD computer that is currently installed (on my model 3)

Slimmy

Yep.
Mar 14, 2000
Ft. Lauderdale
I thought about ordering a Riivan just for shits and giggles too, but the poverty version not due until 2024. Just in case, since I already missed out on the Lightning reservations.

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
Surprisingly none. I should probably change that though.
I posted in the rivian thread about how people are getting them a lot faster than expected, especially if you stick with the black interior or green. Wish I ordered one before the price increase but I put in a reservation hoping for a line skip

Went on a deep dive of lucid production capabilities after your post. I think they're going to start up the pure line sooner than Q4 2022 because of production issues with the glass roof, and at only 30k reservations as of last week an order today gets you a car before the end of 2023. Grand Touring reservation holders are ordering and getting close to their delivery dates so it looks like they're ramping up. Incredible team of talent at lucid so I have high hopes for them

Fisker seems like a scam still. Gonna sit out on those

fuqxyu

Thank you for the alpha
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
Seen a lot of Lucid around here lately. From the side is really mehhhhh.

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV

Lvl 5 will never be achieved without some sort of road infrastructure designed specifically for autonomous vehicles. There's simply too many variables to account for, and tesla FSD fails some of the most basic tests. The ai director went on sabbatical recently. Doubt he's coming back.

Ry-Ballz

This sucks, change the channel
Jan 10, 2001
Mexico
@whatever can you lend me some brain power for a min.

Brother has Tesla solar with a power wall. Just bought a car and needs a charger installed. I said, no problem, I've done a couple I'll come look at it.

When they installed his solar they did a second box, I dunno why, but weirder than that they moved a lot of his stuff from the old box into the new box. It seems like they just did a big 125a breaker in the old box, and used that for a 125 main in the new box.

They blanked off a bunch of the old breakers in the old box, but it's a 200a service.

My questions, why the fuck did they do this, also, can I just throw a breaker in the old box and call it good.

He seems to think it has to do with the power wall, and is worried if I do that, the EV will only be drawing grid power. I don't think it works that way, but wtf do I know.

Here's a couple pics.

20220506_164859.jpg

20220506_164904.jpg

20220506_164909.jpg

Ry-Ballz

This sucks, change the channel
Jan 10, 2001
Mexico
Also, fucking Tesla. We remove our backflows in the winter and reattach them in the spring with sharkbites. Tesla saw the 2 open pipes, and built the new box right the fuck on top of them. Now the backflow wouldn't fit, so I had to solder some bends and shit in the pipe.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
@whatever can you lend me some brain power for a min.

Brother has Tesla solar with a power wall. Just bought a car and needs a charger installed. I said, no problem, I've done a couple I'll come look at it.

When they installed his solar they did a second box, I dunno why, but weirder than that they moved a lot of his stuff from the old box into the new box. It seems like they just did a big 125a breaker in the old box, and used that for a 125 main in the new box.

They blanked off a bunch of the old breakers in the old box, but it's a 200a service.

My questions, why the fuck did they do this, also, can I just throw a breaker in the old box and call it good.

He seems to think it has to do with the power wall, and is worried if I do that, the EV will only be drawing grid power. I don't think it works that way, but wtf do I know.

Here's a couple pics.

View attachment 219666

View attachment 219667

View attachment 219668
thats easy:

the 125 sub panel is behind the tesla transfer switch. so if you pust the tesla onto the main old panel with the blanks during a power outage the car wont charge. perfectly fine to use those spots for the charger.

think of electricity like teenage water. it's lazy. super lazy. on the way from the panels it goes to the tesla power wall then back to the grid. its grid connection is that 125a breaker in the old main. if you have an EV drawing power off that main panel it'll go there before going back to the grid; shorter distance/less resistance. the only gotcha is the tesla app might show fucked up power draw/return from the grid depending on where they put the CT's.

also it looks like you could reuse the old 40a breaker there on the bottom right :rofl:

you could use a quad breaker in the sub 125 on the bottom right too.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004

this one will give you 30a for the AC and 50a for the EV charger on the sub panel. that will make sure the car power consumption is being counted correctly on the powerwall app area.

Reactions: Eskimo Yo-Yo

saxman

Burninating the peasants
Dec 2, 2001
Melbourne, Fl
I posted in the rivian thread about how people are getting them a lot faster than expected, especially if you stick with the black interior or green. Wish I ordered one before the price increase but I put in a reservation hoping for a line skip

Went on a deep dive of lucid production capabilities after your post. I think they're going to start up the pure line sooner than Q4 2022 because of production issues with the glass roof, and at only 30k reservations as of last week an order today gets you a car before the end of 2023. Grand Touring reservation holders are ordering and getting close to their delivery dates so it looks like they're ramping up. Incredible team of talent at lucid so I have high hopes for them

Fisker seems like a scam still. Gonna sit out on those
Lucid definitely seems to have their act together. They have a planned price increase coming and if you order now, you lock in the lower sales price.

I think fisker has a lot more figured out behind the doors than it seems with their manufacturing partnership, etc.

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
hey, I came to ask @whatever & @michael some NEC questions too!

need to replace a ~40' basement run of old ass 6/2 aluminum, going from the main panel to a sub.
The sub will be dedicated 240v L1, L2, G (with bright orange sticker on the door) for an electric dryer outlet and a conduit run to a 32a Juicebox, so not looking at more than 70a.

The existing 6/2 is stapled along the sill plate atop the foundation walls, anything I can just throw in its place? Conduit is going to be a pain in that run. Can I surface mount some service entrance cable in the basement?

Reactions: michael

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
hey, I came to ask @whatever & @michael some NEC questions too!

need to replace a ~40' basement run of old ass 6/2 aluminum, going from the main panel to a sub.
The sub will be dedicated 240v L1, L2, G (with bright orange sticker on the door) for an electric dryer outlet and a conduit run to a 32a Juicebox, so not looking at more than 70a.

The existing 6/2 is stapled along the sill plate atop the foundation walls, anything I can just throw in its place? Conduit is going to be a pain in that run. Can I surface mount some service entrance cable in the basement?

i'd just throw it in place and not worry. its not subject to damage up there on the sill plate.

Reactions: michael

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448