SRS Do you have irrational fears?

TiffanyTJB

Dec 7, 2007
Do you have irrational fears? I'm not talking about phobias and general maladies we get when we are sometimes a little off, I'm talking about childhood fears that you still have as an adult. Well, maybe I'm talking about phobias, but mostly just about something silly we can laugh about right now because it's light outside.

Sometimes I am afraid of whatever is under my bed.
I am really afraid of a man throwing me down a well and I won't visit a friend of mine because he has a farm house with a well in the basement.
Sometimes when I'm washing my face at night I'm afraid that when I look up and look in the mirror there will be something behind me.

Don't get me wrong I am not generally paraniod, but you know, sometimes I have these funny little childhood fears when I am alone.

Darketernal

Watch: Aria The Origination =)
It has to do with youth trauma's , fears are the bodies way of protecting us of things that can be harmfull once learned they don't go away unless you go into a don't give a damn mode. Wells are dangerous because once fallen in you could have a very hard time coming out, same counts with ladders. I don't think these fears are bad fears, you can live with them.

MissKitty

If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum'
OT Supporter
Jun 21, 2004
Dingoland
I can't walk up open stairs in the dark without sprinting up them in fright.

I keep thinking a hand is going to grab my ankle and yank me over.

Dollhouse had a scene about it. Funny to watch because my husband just laughed and started at me

Toxica

Mar 10, 2008
IN
Being outside by myself if it's dark and secluded. It's not even thoughts about getting raped and murdered or anything. It just makes my heart pound because I can't see what's out there.

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006
Centipedes. Make... me... crazy.

I have to get a grip on them. I have a 3 year old and if I passed my phobia to her I don't think I could ever forgive myself.
It is time for me to man up.

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006
Yesterday I had to do some work on the roof of the garage. It is a flat roof with rubber matting.
Getting on the roof was no problem. Put the ladder against the side, up I went and onto the roof.
I had to scrub some aluminum that runs the edge of the top of the roof, so I had to hang over the side just the barest bit. I was a little nervous with that. But by the time I was done the nervousness had gone away.

Finally it was time to get off the roof.

No lie. Putting my legs over side of that roof and onto that ladder was possibly the scariest thing I have done in 6 months. It was pathetic. I spent 20 minutes screwing with the ladder. At one point I was like, 'Gee, if I was just a little bit closer to when my wife gets home I could just stay up there till then.'.

It was kind of nuts. Felt good to eventually get on the ground.

Coottie

BOOMER......SOONER
OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2006
OKC
I used to have a lot of fears....but I've been slowly addressing them over time.

It's amazing, when you start analyzing your fears, confronting them and overcoming them! You can't imagine the sense of empowerment when you've overcome a long time fear.

Here's what I've found so interesting....there is a part of my consciousness that likes to engage in fears but there is another part that is very logical and doesn't spook easily at all.

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006
I used to have a lot of fears....but I've been slowly addressing them over time.

It's amazing, when you start analyzing your fears, confronting them and overcoming them! You can't imagine the sense of empowerment when you've overcome a long time fear.

Here's what I've found so interesting....there is a part of my consciousness that likes to engage in fears but there is another part that is very logical and doesn't spook easily at all.

Giving one power over the other is the trick.

I mean, my centipede thing. Look. The bottom line is a pretty simple thing. Centipedes can not hurt me. No matter what happens when I see one there is zero chance that the centipede itself can hurt me.
Logicaly I know this.
But emotionally - that is the problem. My personal definition (not to be confused with Websters) of phobia is 'irrational fear'.
I have always liked that definition. It really sums up my issue with centipedes.

Coottie

BOOMER......SOONER
OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2006
OKC
Giving one power over the other is the trick.
I dunno man...that's not really how it feels to me at all but perhaps that's your experience.

For me it's more of a curiosity. I recognize a fear, then at some point I start questioning why I'm afraid.....I really start to explore what is it about this particular thing that makes me afraid. I start to list these out in my mind or on paper.

This often takes me months or even years to do.

However once I have this list, I start to examine whether they are true or not.....if I don't really know, then I try to stop reacting like I normally do and simply "gather data". For my fear of spiders, this means I don't kill them but I capture them instead and study them. I also examine my capture techniques to ensure I don't injure them in the process.

This hasn't completely eliminated my fears of spiders but it has helped me realize that I don't have to be so damned scared of them.

I will also spend time researching what I'm scared of.....this research gives me tools to overcome my fears.

I mean, my centipede thing. Look. The bottom line is a pretty simple thing. Centipedes can not hurt me. No matter what happens when I see one there is zero chance that the centipede itself can hurt me.
Logicaly I know this.
But emotionally - that is the problem. My personal definition (not to be confused with Websters) of phobia is 'irrational fear'.
I have always liked that definition. It really sums up my issue with centipedes.
Yeah I hear ya....sometimes these things are really deep and there are times when I get really fucking manic about spiders. However, I've found that the knowledge I've gained from what I posted above has helped me tremendously.

It's like when I feel myself responding at a level that isn't rational, the logical, researching mind of me can remind the other part of me that I have a choice to either respond emotionally or not. This is where the powerful feelings come in for me......because I'm not ruled by emotion, my logical mind can step and and regain control.

Anyways, I'm not perfect and don't always respond in a logical manner. But I'm much better than I used to be.

Coottie

BOOMER......SOONER
OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2006
OKC
Oh and another thing I've realized is that certain fears that seem irrational are actually covering up a completely different issue that needs to be healed.

It's hard to describe but once I start examining logically why I have these fears, sometimes I realize my fear has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I'm afraid of. So then I go solve that other issue and my fear disappears.

lisalan

Jul 26, 2010
Dolls still creep me out. Especially the ones with the moving eyes. Oh and cabbage patch kids. I heard the rumour that they were posessed int eh 80`s and they still creep me out. Oh and clowns. I`m terrified of clowns.

TS
TS

TiffanyTJB

Dec 7, 2007
I think I'm afraid of things they show you in horror movies because my mom took us to see horror movies in the theater when I was in elementary school. We saw The Shining, Psycho 2, Children of the Corn, Christine and Cujo when I was in around 2nd-5th grade and even though those movies are not necessarily scary now, they were really scary when I was a little kid, so I think I was just traumatized or something.
I don't really have any fears of most things adults have fears of, mine are all stupid things from the movies.
Now that I am living by myself I will have to try not to run from 3 feet away and jump into bed lol.

Curren$y

Aug 18, 2004
i cant stand it when my feet hang off the bed, i'm still scared someone is going to grab them.

nice to know i'm not the only one lol

B00M

I speak of peace while covert enmity
Feb 19, 2007
In a shoe
roaches. I can deal with any other insect, not at all afraid of the dark, don't scare easily, love horror movvies but I flip my fucking shit if I see a roach. Like paralyzed, can't move while screaming at the top of my lungs. right now I'm freaked out just typing the word 'r***hes' and thinking about my reactions to having seen them in the past.

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006
I have an irrational fear that an ex-girlfriend will show up for a job interview, be hired, and then be my partner at work.

oh god.... it isn't irrational.

I want to cry.

TS
TS

TiffanyTJB

Dec 7, 2007
I used to have irrational fears about something coming to get me horror-movie style but since I have been living by myself for the last few weeks I kind of got over it. So far.

I will still not do something crazy like poke my foot out of the end of the covers in the dark though. Why take the chance? You can never be too sure.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
I'm afraid I'll die alone.

Well, let me be more specific: I know I'll die alone, but I'm afraid I'll live alone and then die alone.

PrickleyPete

May 25, 2011
On the topic of being alone- I'm afraid of developing weird habits while being alone then getting set in my ways and when someone is with me they will see me do the weird thing.
Take eating out of the pot so you don't have to wash the dish. Say I get so used to eating out of the pot that one day I have company and I cook then I tell them "come, join me over the sink."

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor