Do you personally know any antivaxxers, essential oilists, or flat earthers?

Lug

OT Supporter
May 3, 2017
Bay Area
My sister in laws family, both vaccines and oils. All go to highly mystical fundamentalist church and all into MLM.

They are at once extraordinarily bizarre and boring.

Here in SF we have neighbor friends that refuse to let their kid go to a really good public school because it’s too close to the cell phone tower.

Reactions: couchlock

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
I believe everything we believe is the truth. If someone 100% believes in essential oils as a cure for cancer then you better believe their cancer will get cured. Ever hear of the placebo effect? It's real. Our minds are very powerful.

I have an uncle who cured his cancer by eating some damn apricot kernels for crying out loud.

I think we have the power to control our own lives in any way imaginable. But we are brainwashed through media, schools, and advertisements our whole lives that it constrains our minds.

I've been listening to specific subliminals every night with head phones when going to sleep and yes when you start to believe certain shit whole heatedly it becomes reality.
:420:

Ya bro

1stblackx

Jun 5, 2011
Santa Monica
2ikxo8y.jpg

Chuck Finley

Florida Man | Infamous ROFL Spammer
Super Moderator
May 1, 2002
St Pete, FL
I believe everything we believe is the truth. If someone 100% believes in essential oils as a cure for cancer then you better believe their cancer will get cured. Ever hear of the placebo effect? It's real. Our minds are very powerful.

I have an uncle who cured his cancer by eating some damn apricot kernels for crying out loud.

I think we have the power to control our own lives in any way imaginable. But we are brainwashed through media, schools, and advertisements our whole lives that it constrains our minds.

I've been listening to specific subliminals every night with head phones when going to sleep and yes when you start to believe certain shit whole heatedly it becomes reality.
:rofl:

Rev. Johnny Vegas

Make Ministry synth pop again
Jun 13, 2001

MkxLOM3.jpg

spark plugs.

beautiful.
OT Supporter
Jul 26, 2004
qUEENZ, NY

one of the most brilliant minds of our time, Steve Jobs, believed he could beat cancer just by taking holistic remedies and believing it was mind over body...

that ended well.

GlassUser

Flavors Matter
OT Supporter
Oct 26, 2003
Pearland, Texas
There is something to be said for fruit seeds and cancer prevention. There's lots of concentrated good stuff in them. Some (most?) of the components of chemotherapy are extracted from periwinkle fruits. Of course they extract, concentrate, and process them to get the stuff that's needed to treat an acute medical condition. So I'm not going to try to cure my stage four pancreatic cancer by eating ten pounds of cactus a day.

I guess my point is that there's a lot to be said for some of this "natural" crap for daily maintenance, prevention, and reducing risks. It just doesn't take the place of medical screening, diagnosis, and treatment. But don't let the crackpots completely turn you off to the natural stuff.

Reactions: I<3URANUS

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
Ex-Wife's cousin was super into the essential oils. She would bring some over whenever she visited. Ex-Wife had some, not sure if they were given to her or she bought them. I said something along the lines of they smell good and that's about the only thing they do.

I have a friend who is a constant flat-earth troll. Trying to convince everyone the earth is flat just to annoy people. He sends us chat logs all the time... kinda funny. At one point he even had a flat earth printed pictures on his desk at work... which is pretty funny since he is a contractor at nasa.

Reactions: Junkie

Dylith

OT Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
Or you can just delete it and see how much better life is without.
I didnt use facebook until grad school to coordinate with my fellow classmates, so I am well aware of what life is like without it. I find it incredibly useful now though. I enjoy seeing pictures of my friends and loved ones. I value the events functions, and I follow a lot of news sources allowing it to act as a mini rss feed. Facebook is just a tool. When there are things on it I dont like such as a former classmates constantly pushing essential oils, i change the way I use that tool vis a vis them and snooze them. :dunno:

Or you can just delete it and see how much better life is without.
Facebook is full of guns and interesting history groups. They can have my data :rofl: As if someone is looking to market to a consumer with my profile :rofl:

Rev. Johnny Vegas

Make Ministry synth pop again
Jun 13, 2001
I didnt use facebook until grad school to coordinate with my fellow classmates, so I am well aware of what life is like without it. I find it incredibly useful now though. I enjoy seeing pictures of my friends and loved ones. I value the events functions, and I follow a lot of news sources allowing it to act as a mini rss feed. Facebook is just a tool. When there are things on it I dont like such as a former classmates constantly pushing essential oils, i change the way I use that tool vis a vis them and snooze them. :dunno:

Like you, I didn't use FB until I was in graduate school, at it was a useful tool, and it was (briefly) fun to reconnect with high school friends, etc. But between the massive amounts of proven disinformation and the massive security risks from FB, having an FB account in 2019 is stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Β© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448