Do you personally know any antivaxxers, essential oilists, or flat earthers?

Dylith

OT Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
Like you, I didn't use FB until I was in graduate school, at it was a useful tool, and it was (briefly) fun to reconnect with high school friends, etc. But between the massive amounts of proven disinformation and the massive security risks from FB, having an FB account in 2019 is stupid.
What are you doing on Facebook where you are constantly exposed to disinformation?

I read Brookings and World Bank reports, follow the financial times, take part in community events and book clubs, and like the occasional vacation picture of my friends on FB.

Rev. Johnny Vegas

Make Ministry synth pop again
Jun 13, 2001
What are you doing on Facebook where you are constantly exposed to disinformation?

I read Brookings and World Bank reports, follow the financial times, take part in community events and book clubs, and like the occasional vacation picture of my friends on FB.
I don't do shit on FB anymore. I deleted my account and blackhole its traffic on my home network.

Diesel66

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
Kc
friends/family. Most of mine are from the bay so it's crazy neohippie view points.

I'm glad I can't remember my password so I only see it rarely.

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
So wait, I have to admit, I didn't really know much about these essential oils people. Is this for real? Is it like that group of people that tried to get you to drink some juice bullshit 10 years ago or so?

This girl I went to high school sold it. I remember being a buddy of mine's parent's house and they were having some kind of tasting party thing. She came up to me and had me try it.

She was pushing hard to get me to sign up. Was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Diesel66

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
Kc
Unfollow the spammers and ignore the occasional political post for what it is? Not sure why that would be so hard.
The crap is more than the good posts. It's easier just to ignore the whole website. Or only look at the private groups

Mr. November

Abolish Suburbs
Jun 9, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't personally know of any outspoken anti-vaxxers or flat-earthers. If I did, I'd probably cut them out with the quickness.

I do know a few essential oil people, but only one engages in MLM bullshit. I do use oils in a difuser because it makes our bedroom smell nice :o

Hannibal King

OT Supporter
Jan 19, 2009
Omaha Nebraska
one of the most brilliant minds of our time, Steve Jobs, believed he could beat cancer just by taking holistic remedies and believing it was mind over body...

that ended well.
One of the most brilliant minds of our time believed in holistic remedies. Good point.

You do know a lot of people who have cancer and get treated the conventional way die right? :rofl:

Junkie

re-tarded
OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2006
Santa Clara, CA
I'm still not convinced the flat Earth thing is anything other than an elaborate troll group that somehow caught on with celebrities and became bigger than others
I kinda think the same of scientology
Neighbor does the whole essential oils thing. Wife tries them out sometimes and likes them. That's not really on the same level as anti-vaxxers right? :rofl:
there's nothing wrong with thinking they smell nice

this is about people who think they cure cancer and aids
I love essential oils, but not to sure cancer lol my husband is type 1 diabetic and cant take most medicine when hes sick because of it. I try and find things to make him feel a tiny bit better like oils, teas, or really anything natural that wont fuck his blood sugar up.

That being said we have someone in our company who is a flat earther:ugh:
nothing wrong with trying to make him feel better as long as you understand that medically it isn't doing anything
Yup. I deleted mine years ago. I actually have no social media accounts except for a few messages boards.
:werd: after I got a bullshit monthlong ban just before xmas I deleted it and haven't been back

it was convenient for some shit though
Facebook is full of guns and interesting history groups. They can have my data :rofl: As if someone is looking to market to a consumer with my profile :rofl:
add in motorcycles and that's about what mine was

of course then I got banned because they thought I was selling gun shit when I was making fun of the financing option ($8 AR15 magazine or you can finance it for as little as $1/mo for 18mo)

Reactions: I<3URANUS

Emfuser

Ghost of OT Past
OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2002
Irmo, SC
One of my SO's aunts and her kids are anti-vaxxers. They don't talk to us since I got them all riled on Facebook and told them off. :mamoru:

My regular massage therapist and friend uses essential oils in her practice, and I think she'll use Thieve's oil in an attempt to stave off catching a cold or flu, but no other weird shit. I also know one other person, a wheelchair fencer I help coach, who uses essential oils for body aches and pains related to her various post-injury problems. Neither of them sells anything or talks about oils much unless it's relevant to a conversation.

Don't know any flat-earthers.

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
my wife likes to use essential oils in a diffuser... and we both have used some essential oil (I forget which) to minimize some skin blemishes - and it does work rather well.... But otherwise, nothing - And neither of us feel like oils are able to do much more than any other skin care/health product from larger companies

IWRXIT

OT Supporter
Nov 8, 2005
Holy shit. I actually scroled FB for the first time in about a year. I had no idea there was so much nonsense going on in that place. Everything OT hates is blasted on repeat on FB. Shit's disgusting.

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
I kinda think the same of scientologythere's nothing wrong with thinking they smell nice

this is about people who think they cure cancer and aidsnothing wrong with trying to make him feel better as long as you understand that medically it isn't doing anything:werd: after I got a bullshit monthlong ban just before xmas I deleted it and haven't been back

it was convenient for some shit thoughadd in motorcycles and that's about what mine was

of course then I got banned because they thought I was selling gun shit when I was making fun of the financing option ($8 AR15 magazine or you can finance it for as little as $1/mo for 18mo)
Of course, I still think the soup and oil of oregano and such helps him, but it's not a cure.

Finest

OG #93
Mar 16, 2000
Wisconsin
There's an antivax girl that's a friend of a friend who shows up on my FB feed for some reason. She lost her kid like two years ago, due to antivax reasons. She was a single mother. Literally like 5 months later after the kid is buried, she's knocked up by another guy, and there went up the antivax posts again. I feel for the kid though, hopefully he makes it with a mother like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448