GAME Does anyone here like Paradox grand strategy games?

Jester

Oct 30, 2004
Chiburbia
It seems like most people here like RTS games, which I usually hate.

I have spent countless hours on Europa Universalis 3

To a lesser extent, it's the same with Victoria 2

Sooka

Feb 25, 2004
East Coast
I've played the hell out of Europa Universalis 3 and really enjoyed it, I love the game and I love the history, although I'm not too great at some aspects of the game. I also really liked Victoria 2 but it didn't hold me for as long as Europa Universalis due to the lack of options as a leader, although it didn't lack as much in the production/industrial aspect. I loved playing as Japan in Victoria 2, becoming a civilized nation and forging it into the top super power. The Civil War was also pretty decent in Victoria 2 but I was honestly hoping for more.

I played Hearts of Iron 3 quite a bit and really tried to get into it but for some reason it's just not as fun or addictive as the others, it's pretty damn boring to be perfectly honest and although there are a shitload of options as a leader, the game is just so overly-complicated and confusing with so much micromanagement that I couldn't really get much fun out of it. I couldn't stand the diplomatic trade system either, closing pop-ups every other second was not fun.

The last Europea Universalis 3 expansion wasn't too bad although I was expecting more content in the Asian nations, considering that was the main focus of the expansion. I definitely think Paradox is a good company and I'm looking forward to their next game or expansion. I just hope they focus more on content and gameplay, those are more important than the amount of playable nations or the complexity of strategic options and they're just as important as the historical accuracy in these games.

Last edited:
TS
TS
Jester

Jester

Oct 30, 2004
Chiburbia
Japan is fun in Victoria 2 but I thought it was awkward building 11ty warships to get my military score high in a hurry

TS
TS
Jester

Jester

Oct 30, 2004
Chiburbia
I agree about Vicky2 not being "as addictive" as EU3

I think part of that is due to the fact that you can only "compete" with a few nations in Vicky2, while in EU3, you can turn any nation into a globe-dominating juggernaut

TS
TS
Jester

Jester

Oct 30, 2004
Chiburbia
The vague "alliance" is so wishy washy

I think a couple of nations could agree to ally against a single nation. But the mechanisms don't work like that; you only have "alliance" and "call ally" and shit like that.

For example, if France is warmongering, other European nations would unite against France. In the game, you make an "alliance" but have no idea of whether or not your ally will do anything at all.

TS
TS
Jester

Jester

Oct 30, 2004
Chiburbia
One thing I HATE is the way infamy is handled. Like you have to use a CB specifically in the initial declaration process in order to get any benefit out of it.

So if you have a CB against a country, but they attack you, you have an infamy penalty if you try to sieze land that you have a CB for. So the game wants you to sign a white peace, wait 5 years, and declare war AGAIN to do the same shit.

TS
TS
Jester

Jester

Oct 30, 2004
Chiburbia
I also hate how some of the peace stipulations are often illogical.

For example, if you fight the Netherlands in Europe, you can occupy their entire country but be unable to sieze territory because of their overseas provinces.

Sooka

Feb 25, 2004
East Coast
I also hate how some of the peace stipulations are often illogical.

For example, if you fight the Netherlands in Europe, you can occupy their entire country but be unable to sieze territory because of their overseas provinces.

I can't stand that either, war can end up being a real pain in the ass but Paradox likes to take it a step further. Maybe they do it that way to be more accurate but in my mind if I am occupying an entire nation for years with 100% war score and no resistance then I should be able to annex it or at least gain most of the provinces in it without having to run into constant various restrictions and jump through hoops.

TS
TS
Jester

Jester

Oct 30, 2004
Chiburbia
I can't stand that either, war can end up being a real pain in the ass but Paradox likes to take it a step further. Maybe they do it that way to be more accurate but in my mind if I am occupying an entire nation for years with 100% war score and no resistance then I should be able to annex it or at least gain most of the provinces in it without having to run into constant various restrictions and jump through hoops.

:werd: the jumping through hoops part can be real irritating. I don't like to use cheat codes in games, but sometimes I feel like I HAVE to in order to make the game work.

But after I use a cheat code, I lose interest quickly. So often, I lose interest in an entire playthrough because of the clunky war score/annexing process.

TS
TS
Jester

Jester

Oct 30, 2004
Chiburbia
The MOST IRRITATING THING for me is in Vicky2. How every country allies with every country. So you think, fine, they have this cool feature that lets you intervene in a war, and I can dodge alliances that way.

So you wait for FOREVER and the perfect opportunity FINALLY presents itself. And you go to war and do your thing... only to find out that at some point, some fucking country tagged on the "status quo" provision, so you can't do ANYTHING AT ALL besides accept a white peace, even if you BURN THEIR WHOLE NATION TO THE GROUND

wtf kind of bullshit is that? :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor