Does TikTok have the best algorithms?

zizi

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2005
I created a TikTok account with brand new info, no friends/followers, and I'm seeing stuff about people from Texas. I grew up in Texas but haven't lived there since the 20th century and I haven't liked any things specific to Texas so how does it know I'm from Texas?

Also my phone's area code is from Virginia and I live in California.

nindia

OT Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
earth
They have, by far, the best AI or algorithms of all social media platforms.

I'm sure some shit will come out one day detailing how it's done and some sort of privacy issues with the way it was being done. :mamoru:

Drake Thornn

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2004
Grenyarnia
TikTok collects a CRAZY amount of potentially sensitive user information.

The buzz around TikTok is interesting. People like Kara Swisher will talk about how evil the rest of Silcon Valley's algorithms are in terms of dividing, misinforming, distracting its users, but in the same breath PRAISE TikTok for how addictive it is? Just crazy.

ghost.prawn

OT Supporter
May 11, 2006
All I do is follow hot dancing babes and it keeps trying to recommend me other wholesome shit, as if to say calm down you are too horny, look at something else

f_pyFvb0461o2TB4fwhPzQxPOFfqKCOax3Vx29G1kew.jpg

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
i'd say it has the worst algorithm i've ever seen, it's nothing but trumpkin bullshit even though i only like and follow hotties dancing with their tits out. i have to look up similar users to people i follow to get something that doesn't make me want to toss my phone onto the ground. i don't even know why this started, i'm ridiculously liberal. it feels like a concerted effort to inundate me with fake news bullshit.

NoOneYouKnow

Mar 24, 2016
The house that hate built.
TikTok collects a CRAZY amount of potentially sensitive user information.

The buzz around TikTok is interesting. People like Kara Swisher will talk about how evil the rest of Silcon Valley's algorithms are in terms of dividing, misinforming, distracting its users, but in the same breath PRAISE TikTok for how addictive it is? Just crazy.

The other silicon valley companies talk about how evil TikTok is why they attempt to make their algorithms just as addicting.

Reactions: Achance007

NoOneYouKnow

Mar 24, 2016
I'm guessing it's easier for them to make their models more accurate because they'll have more data to train their model with. For example the average YouTube user may watch 1 or 2 videos per visit where a tiktok user will probably watch 20+ (completely made up numbers but you get the point). ML/AI is all about having good training data.

YouTube's algorithm seems to factor in how much time you spend watching things since the average length is so much longer. TikTok wants you to keep clicking on new things endlessly. YouTube wants to find things you'll spend over 10 minutes watching so they and the creator maximize ad revenue.

NoOneYouKnow

Mar 24, 2016
I don't think YT cares what length the videos you watch are, as long as you're watching videos. As long as your eyeballs on on their site, they are making $$$

It used to be that you had to reach 10:01 video length to get a second ad to play in the middle of the video. It appears they changed it sometime this year.

Reactions: Boots

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6