ART Does tripod SCREAM tourist?

AbortionSurvivor

Jun 5, 2002
Nor. Cal
So last time I was in Paris I wished on several occasions that I had my tripod with me. I'm going back next week and am 60% leaning towards bring my setup.
Weight isn't really an issue since the legs and head are about 4lbs total.

My concern is standing out as a clear tourist and someone know i have camera gear probably worth money. Am i over reacting? Bring the legs? Or leave them at home?

TS
TS
AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor

Jun 5, 2002
Nor. Cal
specifically I want this
800px-Paris_Night.jpg

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
why not high iso and fast lens? what is your setup?
Image above is probably longer exposure with ISO 100 and f/16 or something nice and wide... Gives you the DOF needed and less flare on the lights etc.

Requires a tripod :hs:

I've got a cheap lightweight one that folds down fairly small and thin (compared to other tripods anyway) and when in a soft bag strapped to the side of a backpack its not super obvious :dunno:

mikmit

:o?
OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2004
CO
i took my tripod to paris and it ended up slung over my back the entire time. the one time i tried to use it was inside notre dame but it ends up being more of a hassle than anything.

my suggestion would be if you are going specifically to take photos, then yes. if you actually are going to be tourist, leave it at home and just take a wide, fast lens (emphasis on wide)

Bukka

Sep 14, 2009
Calgary, AB
Um...no?
You need a tripod to get the image you desire, then...fuck em?
Why let other peoples perception of you stop you from getting the image?

Get image first, shut their judgments up with the result second.

Bukka

Sep 14, 2009
Calgary, AB
Tripod = good tool to bludgeon someone with....try for self-defence.
Laugh about it while going over photos of the ordeal later.

mikmit

:o?
OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2004
CO
having the tripod inside notre dame was a hassle because it is really cramped in there for the amount of people that are going in and out. pretty much the same situation for most places in paris because there is just a shit ton of people (especially at any indoor location). sure you can get your shot, but you are just being a giant asshole tourist with the possibility of having your shit bumped into/knocked over. if you're ok with that, then have at it.

Bukka

Sep 14, 2009
Calgary, AB
Monopod it then.

Also why is it people think only "Tourists" carry tripods and such with them? I mean, there are most likely local photographers in paris. To locals, you could be just another photographer taking some 'for them' Trite imagery.

Last edited:

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I say take it if you really have certain shots planned out

But don't take it if you are just speculating

It's not so much about what other people think. It's just that "only 4lbs" will be a fucking HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS after a few hours, trust me.

I dragged a tripod around hong kong, thailand and california and it just wasn't worth it. I got some nice shots for sure, but the hassle far outweighed those shots.

Ty Webb

You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia
Dec 17, 2004
Bushwood Country Club
Image above is probably longer exposure with ISO 100 and f/16 or something nice and wide... Gives you the DOF needed and less flare on the lights etc.

Requires a tripod :hs:

I've got a cheap lightweight one that folds down fairly small and thin (compared to other tripods anyway) and when in a soft bag strapped to the side of a backpack its not super obvious :dunno:

[y]7TNXoH7EYWY[/y]

Wobistdu

yeah it screams tourist but who cares. the french haven't been violent in like 500 years

Fubar

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
Arizona
I say go for it.

Tourist? You are, who cares. If you're not interrupting anyone else around you by setting up a tripod, then go for it. Plus it is not your first time there and it sounds like you know what you want to shoot.

Safety? I guess there are always bad parts of every city. But I spent 10 days in Paris in the spring and felt safe carrying my camera wherever I went.

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
You certainly won't be the only tourist...so you may blend in MORE as a tourist than a "local"

It's not like Paris doesn't have photographers as well

Who cares

You language, attire and the fact that you are carrying a map is more likely to make you stand out! ;-)

Also...make sure you are allowed to take a tripod where ever you are going. I know some places won't allow you to use (or even have with you) tripods. Not that you would necessarily get in trouble, but now you have to find a place to stash it while you go shoot _____.

CornUponCob

Oct 3, 2001
If you bring it you'll hate every second that you have to carry it around and fart with it.

If you don't bring it you'll hate missing every shot you can't get without it.

Enjoy your trip.

Chitown B

Oct 13, 2008
chicago, il
no? I'd figure the opposite, considering for the most part I'd figure tourists wouldn't want to carry one around all day on their touring.

Wobistdu

If you bring it you'll hate every second that you have to carry it around and fart with it.

If you don't bring it you'll hate missing every shot you can't get without it.

Enjoy your trip.

that's why i spent big bucks for a 2lb set of carbon fiber and ballhead :x:

ok_computer

OT Supporter
Jan 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB, Canada
to me, cameras scream tourist.

so if you're that far anyway, take what the fuck you want, grab some amazing photos, get some OTAP endorsed cameras and get featured on gizmodo or something :h5:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan