does your employer have to pay you for time missed due to covid testing?

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
im sure there are oddly worded laws regarding this and it could vary from state to state as well as company size/number of employees....

but anyway, say you woke up feeling like you had numerous symptoms and wanted to "do the right thing" and go get tested, obviously it would be excused absence from work but are they obligated to pay you?

in this particular case, it would be an hourly employee at a manufacturing plant with 200ish employees on site.

cliffs:

not me, but a friend felt a few of the covid symptoms and went to be tested (as he should have). he missed 3 days of work awaiting results and came back negative so he returned to work....now he is hell bound and determined to get his 3 days of pay. not one person who has missed for covid testing in any capacity at this plant has got paid or attempted to be paid, but he is talking about lawsuits and going to the labor board and is 100% convinced that the company HAS to pay him for those 3 days he missed.

TS
TS
TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
yes, they do.

then i have to ask, why would none of the dozens of other employees who missed anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks be blowing up about not getting paid?

i realize in 2 weeks you can get unemployment and shit....but 3-4 days is the average for results now and you can't get unemployment in that short of time

TS
TS
TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
Does worker’s compensation cover COVID?

in his mind, he thinks the company is being compensated in some way for employees being out for testing....but he can't prove it. obviously that goes through the government.

he is basically just out of 3 days worth of hourly wages and excused absence.

Jumpem

OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2002
sick time isn't something they have.

can they force you to use vacation time to cover these days?
That is what I would expect if you don't have sick time to use. Employers don't typically pay for time off due to illness, I wouldn't think Covid would be any different.

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
I should know the answer to these questions it’s literally my job 😂😭
Nah.
I have found that a totally fictitious answer, given immediately, and with a sense or sureness, is usually all you need.

If you want to be funny, put a graph up in your office, but but it sideways so the results look different.

Reactions: xbg

zedekias

Feb 27, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
We had a positive employee at my work. She got paid out of a separate bank because she had a positive test. Everyone she exposed was forced to use their own PTO/sick time.

TS
TS
TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
We had a positive employee at my work. She got paid out of a separate bank because she had a positive test. Everyone she exposed was forced to use their own PTO/sick time.

if a person tested positive or was in a house with someone who was positive, they could immediately go get unemployment....thats easy

this is 3 days missed hourly pay and a negative test

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
Not sure. My employer has a doctor onsite. I just got down to the clinic and get a COVID test.

Took all of 10 minutes.

TS
TS
TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
Depends on whether employer is subject to FFCRA

Tax Credits: Covered employers qualify for dollar-for-dollar reimbursement through tax credits for all qualifying wages paid under the FFCRA. Qualifying wages are those paid to an employee who takes leave under the Act for a qualifying reason, up to the appropriate per diem and aggregate payment caps. Applicable tax credits also extend to amounts paid or incurred to maintain health insurance coverage. For more information, please see the Department of the Treasury’s website.

this quote right here is why he thinks the company is being paid for his missed time.

TS
TS
TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
there is also this quote to take into account..

Covered Employers: The paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave provisions of the FFCRA apply to certain public employers, and private employers with fewer than 500 employees.

the business has only 200ish employees on site, but they are part of a much larger corporation who owns several businesses and far surpasses the magic number of 500 employees.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor