Does your town have a street named after it?

JacksonWhite

Apr 11, 2011
For example if you lived in Beverly Hills, there might be a “Beverly Hills ave”.

does your town do that? Mine does and a package that was supposed to be sent to my house was sent to “26 (town name) Ave” instead by accident. Must happen a ton.

I think towns should rethink this practice due to the same

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
We have a lot of small towns in Massachusetts and the major street names are named after the town that it leads to. So, for example, in my small town, the street that leads to neighboring Northampton is called "Northampton Street" and the street that leads to neighboring Holyoke is called "Holyoke street". Wicked smaht! Then, because they were so quick-witted back in the 1600s, "East Street" is on the easternmost part of town and "West Street" is at the westernmost part of town. Same with North and South streets. And then, most of the other names are named after places in England because of colonization or are named after local, rich, large landowners from the 1700s and 1800s.

Reactions: limsoup

Mrfrosty

Club Astros member #0001.
OT Supporter
Nov 3, 2008
Metry, LA
We have a lot of small towns in Massachusetts and the major street names are named after the town that it leads to. So, for example, in my small town, the street that leads to neighboring Northampton is called "Northampton Street" and the street that leads to neighboring Holyoke is called "Holyoke street". Wicked smaht! Then, because they were so quick-witted back in the 1600s, "East Street" is on the easternmost part of town and "West Street" is at the westernmost part of town. Same with North and South streets. And then, most of the other names are named after places in England because of colonization or are named after local, rich, large landowners from the 1700s and 1800s.

My favorite down here are the roads there aren't anything like they're spelled, Calliope is one. Pronounced Cal-eee-ope. Melpomene? Mell-po-meen

Reactions: Sam Gamgee

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
One of the daughters went to UC Irvine.

Every other street in the fucking city is called MacArthur. Macarthur Drive. MacArthur Circle. MacArthur Way.

MacArthur Blvd runs miles from the west part of Santa Ana by the river down past the airport to PCH. I only know of of area that has any other MacArthurs. It's a small area off the 55 with a bunch of office buildings.

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo

LA's freeway names are like this, from the perspective of downtown LA. The Santa Monica Freeway goes to Santa Monica. The San Bernardino Freeway goes to San Bernardino. Eventually they assigned numbers to the freeways and people kept the "the" so we have "the 10" or "the 405" which is unique to SoCal. LA and Anaheim also have N/S/E/W streets although of course those boundaries were outgrown decades ago. LA put the cemeteries on the east side of East street, but now it's just East LA with houses all around.

Reactions: Sam Gamgee

dorkultra

OT's resident crohns dude
OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
nilbog, trollhio
i don't live in the city of Parma, but there's a street called Amrap...which is Parma spelled backwards :dunno:
also Layor is Royal
aUS6COS.png

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan