Dog Crew: Great Pyrenees?

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
Our dog Emily died last fall and I've been dragging my feet getting a new one. My wife got Emily about 3 months into us dating and she died when she was 16, so we had her a long time :hs: I was looking forward to easier travel/vacations without a dog to deal with boarding (she was dog aggressive and was a bit of a pain to board)

but my wife and kids have been looking at shelter dogs more and more and more lately and I don't think I can keep saying no :o

There's a great pyr named Everest they really like. I've never had such a big dog and I'm afraid he won't live very long and then I'll be all sad again. Anyone else besides @borazhasleftthebuilding have a great pyrenees and love em?

my sweet girl Emily :hs:

IMG_8483.jpg

and the possible new big boy Everest

1609454149170.png

morrowalnut

OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2004
I worked with a lot of them. They are more prone to being territorial against other dogs than many breeds. They also get dirty really easily

Reactions: 01ACRViper

tommylightning

Setting the timer to 2:15
Aug 25, 2001
You Betcha State
Our dog Emily died last fall and I've been dragging my feet getting a new one. My wife got Emily about 3 months into us dating and she died when she was 16, so we had her a long time :hs: I was looking forward to easier travel/vacations without a dog to deal with boarding (she was dog aggressive and was a bit of a pain to board)

but my wife and kids have been looking at shelter dogs more and more and more lately and I don't think I can keep saying no :o

There's a great pyr named Everest they really like. I've never had such a big dog and I'm afraid he won't live very long and then I'll be all sad again. Anyone else besides @borazhasleftthebuilding have a great pyrenees and love em?

View attachment 91625

View attachment 91626
It’s OT...you already know the answer. Now you’re obligated to do it or you’ll be banned forever

Samcanadian

Cellular, Modular, Interactivodular
OT Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg

View attachment 91625

View attachment 91626
Had a Pyr for about 8 years. Great dogs for one family. I'd be worried about them around anyone else.

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
In 20 yrs of having pyrs,

Never had an issue with other dogs or other ppl, except for a cop that was reaching in to the car to 'help' my wife get her insurance when she was pulled over at a checkpoint...she was nervous, dog noticed and protected her

They've always fallen over themselves when interacting with other dogs and ppl

Two of my border collies have snapped at lil brats, but they had it coming :o

Reactions: 01ACRViper
TS
TS
01ACRViper

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
Had a Pyr for about 8 years. Great dogs for one family. I'd be worried about them around anyone else.
In 20 yrs of having pyrs,

Never had an issue with other dogs or other ppl, except for a cop that was reaching in to the car to 'help' my wife get her insurance when she was pulled over at a checkpoint...she was nervous, dog noticed and protected her

They've always fallen over themselves when interacting with other dogs and ppl

Two of my border collies have snapped at lil brats, but they had it coming :o

:noes:

They'll have to be around other people and other dogs at times. But they seem so chill :o

Samcanadian

Cellular, Modular, Interactivodular
OT Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg

They'll have to be around other people and other dogs at times. But they seem so chill :o
We were on a walk once with our Pyr and a full grown German Shepherd came out of a yard unleashed at my mom. Our pyr hit the shepherd the instant it came through the ditch and had it on its back in a second. Ultra powerful display of protection/domination. It'll definitely protect you vs other dogs...but I have no idea how it reacts in general. Pearl got along with the other dogs in obedience training except for another big Akita that was there. Same result more or less, but as puppies.

borazhasleftthebuilding

OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
We were on a walk once with our Pyr and a full grown German Shepherd came out of a yard unleashed at my mom. Our pyr hit the shepherd the instant it came through the ditch and had it on its back in a second. Ultra powerful display of protection/domination. It'll definitely protect you vs other dogs...but I have no idea how it reacts in general. Pearl got along with the other dogs in obedience training except for another big Akita that was there. Same result more or less, but as puppies.
Opinions are gonna vary, and I'll respect that...but I don't see a problem with your story

I also don't know what the shepherd was presenting attitude wise, humans can miss signals that the animals see

borazhasleftthebuilding

OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest

They're smarter/more stubborn than a golden yes

And the 4.5 pyrs I've had absolutely had different personalities, 2 were more I'll stay 2 feet away most of the time, the others were lap dogs

When my current ones play fight or really fight, it's scary.... You have no chance against a 120# dog

Of course I've only had girls

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman