SRS Dog crew: I guess Taz dodged cancer *whew* but good info to remember

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia
Long post but I love this dog and you have no idea the relief I'm having right now. So be cool. This is a good story.

Since the day we adopted him Taz was a hyper dog but in an almost chemically induced way. The first 18 months of his life were in a small kennel at a crappy home and when we got him his name was Parker. It's hard to describe how nuts he was when he walked through the door but my wife introduced me to him as Parker and I said "Nope. His name is Taz"
BImNjkEl.jpg

We always attributed it to him being a little overbred and never properly trained as a pup but as the years wore on he never let up. Same spastic energy. You meet our two dogs and everyone says "And this must be Taz." We still love him though since he puts the same energy into his affections and he's always an enthusiastic participant for anything you want to do.

PwtGtIbl.jpg

Some of you might remember my Taz in a Box post. Leave a box out and he gets into it so we made a coffee table book. Just part of his silly personality.

Anyway he's 9.5 now and STILL A FRIGGIN NUT but last year he started having these recurring urinary tract infections. They'd happen every 6 months or so and a couple were pretty scary. When you have a dog like Taz and he just lays there not wanting to eat or walk or anything it's pretty scary. We spent a lot of money on x-rays and ultrasound but nothing turned up and it seemed like antibiotics fixed him. Then about a month ago it hit hard. His back was arched and was just standing around whimpering. Would not eat or drink. Took him to the vet and this time they saw a badly swollen prostate which in addition to being responsible for the infection is putting pressure on his back somehow. According to the doc on a neutered dog this can only mean cancer. :wtc:

YNmL7dDl.jpg

But when the doc sent a sample off to the lab to confirm they came back negative. By this time Taz was on yet another round of anti-inflammatories and antibiotics and was doing better but we wanted this shit to stop. I was talking to the doc late one night who was frustrated since he'd never seen this problem in a neutered dog (that wasn't cancer) and he asked was I sure he'd been neutered? Then it hit me. Slightly overbred. Crappy first owners. Lifetime of inexplicable hormonal behavior. Taz still had a testicle that never dropped. My theory was it never dropped and the crappy first owners took him to a bargain neuter joint where they only got the one that dropped. Holy shit.

HHizFRgl.jpg

The doc went off and figured out a test that would confirm the theory and we brought him in for the procedure. Basically they take blood, inject him with a stimulant, take more blood and if he has a testicle they'll see a significant testosterone spike. They did their thing and I got a call from the doc a couple days later. A neutered dog will have a testosterone count for this test around 40. An intact dog resting will be around 70. Stimulated an intact dog will be be between 100-120. Taz resting was ~450. Stimulated he was ~570. :eek: The doc said this was not uncommon for a retained testicle since they kind of go nuts if they never drop. I'm paraphrasing of course.

Voxh8eDl.jpg

This morning was his surgery to go find and remove the testicle and though all signs pointed to there being one it wasn't for sure. If he couldn't find it we were probably back to cancer. Around 2pm the doc calls telling me he found it and removed it. :tbow: Apparently it was about 1.5 inches in diameter and obviously very active. Taz is home resting now and they say it'll take a couple weeks to fully recover. With the absence of testosterone his prostate will return to normal and the surrounding maladies should stop.

6E4RkTIl.jpg

I lost my previous golden Joey to cancer and I'm still affected by it. This would have hit hard had it gone bad. As it is we feel like we got seriously lucky and are looking forward to a bunch more years of a hopefully calmer Taz. :)

On a side note we sent out a text with the good news to the folks at our rescue group. The reply almost in unison was "Well that explains a lot" :rofl:

2lLXCUUl.jpg

So long story but I had to tell it and there's good info to remember. Imma go hug my pup now.

TS
TS
FritoBandito

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia
That’s pretty cool that your theory was right
Right? Most of the time you feel so helpless when shit like this happens. I've lost pets, friends and family to cancer and most of the time there isn't jack shit you can do but ride the miserable wave with them. Feels so good to dodge it at least once.

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Michigan
Glad he's ok. Beautiful dog, too. Love Goldens. They're my 2nd favorite dog behind labradors. They're so beautiful, smart, loyal, and loveable. Again, so glad you found out what was going on and it wasn't anything like you feared. :hug:

Reactions: FritoBandito
TS
TS
FritoBandito

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia
:hug:

your vet sounds awesome btw. Seems like he's all in for his patients and not just a revolving door doc type. :bowdown:
I can't say enough good things about this guy. He really does invest himself professionally and is willing to have real problem solving dialogs with us. The discussion we had when we formed the retained testicle theory was at 8pm on a Friday night. And I say "we formed" because even though I voiced it first he was headed there. I just had more backstory to apply to the problem. Besides I'm no doc. I just made a lucky guess. He's the one who has to make all the real decisions. So yea. Awesome vet. :bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman