ART DPreview reviews the 50D

GlobeGuy

Jun 14, 2004
A lot of unhappy 50D owners in dpreview forums right now. They are asking for a re-test.

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
i used my friends, and honestly i dont think its worth the upgrade. it does get pretty muddy. at iso1600-3200. i mainly shoot at 1600 and my images seem contrastier and sharper than his. He actually got kinda pissed. Its nominal yes but still true. AF is not faster, feels heavier, if "I" were to spend the money i would buy a used 5d. but i already have two 40ds and a mkii. I love, love the screen though.

TS
TS

adamlewis88

Dec 2, 2007
San Francisco, CA
i used my friends, and honestly i dont think its worth the upgrade. it does get pretty muddy. at iso1600-3200. i mainly shoot at 1600 and my images seem contrastier and sharper than his. He actually got kinda pissed. Its nominal yes but still true. AF is not faster, feels heavier, if "I" were to spend the money i would buy a used 5d. but i already have two 40ds and a mkii. I love, love the screen though.

Ah.

Well thats a shame.
I will admit that actually everyone I know with a 50D didnt own a 40D previously :hs:

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
Ah.

Well thats a shame.
I will admit that actually everyone I know with a 50D didnt own a 40D previously :hs:

yeah, i bet from a 30d or 20d standpoint that change is huge! i mean the jump from 30d to 40d was significant mainly due to the AF. I mean the Af on the 40 is way ahead of teh 20 or 30.

Mutombo

May 31, 2006
San Francisco
The screen and lens adjustment are nice features over the 40D but not worth the $500 price difference, imo. Especially after looking at the 40D/50D image comparison in that review.

EWhytsell

Jun 16, 2008
I have no experience with dpreview or the 50D, but to eliminate any bias I never trust a single source for a product review.

As an example, my company sells Ricoh office products. 90% of the reviews I can find on this model rate it with capabilities far beyond what it can really do and also place it in a category in which reality has it far out classed. We've had a number of very pissed customers due to them just jumping in on buying it instead of comparing it with what they need.

Its sorta sad, but I'm betting the reviewers never even operated that model and likely only read some product material that always hypes up anything (still talking about the printer here.)

ericande

Feb 9, 2007
I have no experience with dpreview or the 50D, but to eliminate any bias I never trust a single source for a product review.

As an example, my company sells Ricoh office products. 90% of the reviews I can find on this model rate it with capabilities far beyond what it can really do and also place it in a category in which reality has it far out classed. We've had a number of very pissed customers due to them just jumping in on buying it instead of comparing it with what they need.

Its sorta sad, but I'm betting the reviewers never even operated that model and likely only read some product material that always hypes up anything (still talking about the printer here.)

Always a good idea to look at multiple sources but dpreview usually has the best and most comprehensive reviews on the net.

Derrict

OT Supporter
Nov 19, 2003
Delaware, USA
I was expecting the Digic 4 processor to be able to overcome the lack of pixel density when compared to the 40D Digic 3 and higher pixel density count.

Too bad Canon got caught up in the megapixel BS. They would've been better off with a ~ 12 mp resolution instead of 15.

Gerbonium

OT Supporter
Jun 19, 2004
Greenville, SC
15mp sensor vs 10.1mp, High res screen vs. standard 3" screen, Micro lens adjustment in 50D but not 40D.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

50d also has digic 4 while the 40d has digic 3. i must say i never really saw the point. a cheaper full frame would have filled the gap between 40d and 5d better IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan