MIL Drink Water. Drive On.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cyan Connect, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk. OT Supporter

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/08/atheist.soldier/index.html

This is a link to an article of a soldier suing the Army for violating his freedom of religion because he is an atheist. In my five years in the Army I was only afforded the opportunity to attend my Jewish services four times. Two of those were in Kuwait. One of those services involved lighting a Menorah in a smoking shack. Another one involved doing a Rosh Hashana service with 30 other people in a 15' by 10' PlayStation trailer. I still felt honored to have done those services with my fellow soldiers. My point is: Not everyone can get the same amount of religious accomodations because those accomodations must be within reason. If only a few people practice a certain faith, then those people should go to the command and organize a prayer or study group. I just feel that what he is doing is out of line. So like I said in the title, Drink Water and Drive On.

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

"I was told because I can't put my personal beliefs aside and pray with troops I wouldn't make a good leader," Hall said.

I am not a real religious person but that is true

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

The only athiets that need a body guard are the ones who are more outspoken than the religious fanatics.

4. Cyan Connect

Did he exhaust all other options? Did he go through his chain of command? Did he see a counselor or a Chaplain about his beliefs? Did he ask about being given an hour or two once a week to hold a secular type of service?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  5. c.a

c.a New Member

agreed. this guy was probably a big douchebag. I'll admit, i'm not a religious person but i'll still bow my head and shut my mouth when people are praying, out of respect for THEIR beliefs.

6. Mitsukillinsi

Mitsukillinsi Active Member

this is just crazy...i dont know what to think

7. Jyokker

You can be athiest, and still not be a prick. I am religious, but I do not force my beliefs on others, I expect the same from everyone else.

8. Cyan Connect

I was born in Ukraine and came to the United States when I was 6 in 1991. In the Soviet Union it was illegal for me to be openly Jewish, or theist in general. I cannot understand why there are so many atheists in America, who certainly have that right, who choose to try and take the right of religion away from the religious.

9. drklrdbill

drklrdbill Pimp

Yeah, except when people get freedom in the US to do whatever they choose (as long as it is moral and/or legal), they tend to forget what this blessing means. I think he just screwed up his E5 board and is now trying to get back at a unit that didn't like him. I know plenty of athiests, and I have never heard one complain about not being able to "practice" their religion. They just don't like religion. Big deal. That's their problem. I think the Christian majority is more of a US issue than an Army issue, and as it turns out, the people in the Army happen to, more often than that, fall right in line statistically with the majority of America.

Shocking.

10. Jyokker

Those atheists are the the ones that are just as bad as the religious fanatics. Much of it is because of an "intellectual culture" where it is not only acceptable, but almost required to be an atheist to be considered intelligent.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  11. TRN

TRN OT Supporter

Guy sounds like a real bitch.

12. Durkastan

Durkastan New Member

First off an atheist doesn't believe in god so what is the harm of him just faking it or shutting the fuck up altogether. Fuck assholes who feel the need to make a big deal over something they claim doesn't matter to them in the first place

13. I-am-Ryan

I-am-Ryan Trevor Siemian is so dreamy OT Supporter

Saw this article earlier...didn't read it, think he's being a prick like everybody else here...but I will say there is a movement in the military and in the current administration to overly emphasize the christian right.

14. willijdub

willijdub Active Member

he has no case... there arent supposed to be any faggots in the army any ways. drink water, change your socks, face out, drive on.

15. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

no, thats fucking bullshit. I'm tired of people using their rank and positions to preach to troops

pretty much the first thing I even did when I was in the army was get off the bus, get some basic issue crap, go to sleep only to get woken up in the middle of the night just so some drill sergeant could form us up and hand us religious materials and pray over us.

16. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

thats true....

17. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

the problem is that a lot of times, at least in my experience, there are those, especially those in the upper ranks, who will sit there and preach to you pretty much knowing there isn't a damn thing you can do besides listen unless you want to insult them or piss them off.

I'm not religious, have no problems with other peoples religion or their right to practice it, but keep that shit out of the workplace.

18. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

i can completely understand that it helps but I don't think it would make anyone a bad leader if they didn't provided they weren't discouraging it from happening or whatnot.

19. Even Frank in M*A*S*H never had a bodyguard. That's a bizarre story.

20. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Atheist/Agnostic signing in.

When everyone bows their heads to pray, sometimes I bow just to swallow my pride and not be an outcast, but sometimes I don't feel like pretending and keep my head up.

21. Jyokker

You don't have to bow your head to be respectful, you just have to not be a dick and try to stop it or claim people are pushing religion on you.

22. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

A senior enlisted type put it to me this way....

"Whether you believe or not, respect those that do and do not."

23. Jyokker

I'm not seeing this in the AF.