TECH Drobo: Network vs. Firewire/USB Models

verbal

Mar 10, 2005
Thinking about a Drobo S (Fireiwre/USB) or Drobo FS (Network) just can't decide which to get. I'm leaning more towards the network model because it would be easier to share between any PCs.

Any comments on either of these?

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
I own the Drobo S and my popps owns the Drobo FS.

It really depends on what you'll be using it for. I chose the Drobo S since I store all my RAW photos on there and work off that drive in Lightroom. Therefore I have it going through FW800 and need it to be fast.

The network drive transfers speeds will obviously be slower; but more accessible from a variety of computers/ devices on your network.

I like the Drobo FS because I can access our media library through XBMC on my appletv without having to go through a computer as a server. XBMC can connect directly to the local IP of the Drobo FS.

However, if you have a mac mini or a box that stays on 24/7, you could hook up the Drobo S to it and just share it through OSX, which is pretty easy to setup.

Basically, if you want fast transfer speeds or only want to use it primarily from one computer, you'll get more for your money with the Drobo S. You can always add the DroboShare (http://drobo.com/products_droboshare.html) if you change your mind.

The Drobo FS will be more convenient from the network but slower transfer speeds.

TS
TS
verbal

verbal

Mar 10, 2005
Bah, that makes my decision even harder. I plan on getting a Mini for use as a HTPC/Server. I could easily share it from that, but I'm not sure I want the Drobo in my entertainment center.

I keep going back and forth. Meh.

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
Drobo is pretty quiet FYI. No way you'll be able to hear it over a movie playing or something.

If you don't need super fast transfer speeds and $$ isn't an issue, get the FS.

Raider007

om nom nom nom
Aug 26, 2002
Bay Area
The network drive transfers speeds will obviously be slower.

technically, gigabit is faster than USB2/3/FW400/FW800...

I can transfer files faster over gigabit then I can plugging it to any external drive I have...

not sure where your setup is going wrong... perhaps you're routing it though a 100mb router?

TS
TS
verbal

verbal

Mar 10, 2005
I'd just like having the option to use a direct or network connection. If I do get a Mini, I see the Drobo lasting longer than it. Who knows what I'll do after I get rid of the Mini? Sucks they don't make one with both built in.

Yeah, I'm being ridiculous, but still. It's a good chunk of money.

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
technically, gigabit is faster than USB2/3/FW400/FW800...

I can transfer files faster over gigabit then I can plugging it to any external drive I have...

not sure where your setup is going wrong... perhaps you're routing it though a 100mb router?

We have gigabit routers/ switches in the house as well as Cat5e cable. FW800 is without a doubt faster in real life. Even if gigabit is supposed to be 1000

TS
TS
verbal

verbal

Mar 10, 2005
Does Drobo have remote access capabilities? Can you transfer files from it over the internet or run drobo apps over the internet?

I just found Synology. I'm playing around in the Synology DiskStation remote access app and it's pretty damn sweet. Slow, but that's probably from the site it's on, not the actual hardware.

http://demo.synology.com:5000/webman/index.cgi
admin/synology

DAN513

Mar 10, 2003
Winnipeg
There's a ton of apps you can get for the drobo dashboard, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a remote access app you could get for it.

I've got the FS at home on my PC network, speeds average about 35MB/second. Not stellar, but more than enough for me to stream 720p and 1080p mkv's to my wdtv live boxes.

TS
TS
verbal

verbal

Mar 10, 2005
35mb/second?

Who has a Drobo S that they share on the network? Can someone please test their speeds over the network?

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
35mb/second?

Who has a Drobo S that they share on the network? Can someone please test their speeds over the network?

just did a quick test. copied 1481mb in 141 sec

So thats about 10.5 mb/sec

I don't know if my computer is going through a gigabit switch though. only our media room is for sure since thats where it matters. I can test that computer later if you want.

just for kicks, I copied the same 1481mb to my FW800 Drobo and it took 136 sec
Or about 10.9 mb/sec

:wtf:

wait for thunderbolt

this

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
Wait for thunderbolt? That's assuming you have one of the new MBPs, which make this route the most expensive of all options.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19