TECH Dropped frames when playing 720p mkv files

THT

The easy way is always mined
Mar 16, 2005
The booby hatch
My HTPCs are dropping frames when playing 720p mkv files.

HTPC1: AMD LE1660 2.8GHz Lima CPU, Biostar K8M800 motherboard, 2x1GB Kingston DDR2-667 RAM, 1TB Barracuda HDD, ATi 8500 video card

HTPC2: Same as 1 but a 500GB Barracuda HDD and an ATi 9700 Pro video card

Do the video cards have anything to do with playback performance?

CodeX

The bottleneck when watching HD video on your computer is the data transmission from its stored location into ram for playback. I doubt your video hardware is having trouble rendering the image, if your player even supports Directx overlays... its likely you do not have enough available memory to keep a large enough cache and so the program has to pull the data from the harddrive in real time, and no hard drive in the world can handle that type of throughput, save for maybe ultra expensive solid state drives.

TS
TS
THT

THT

The easy way is always mined
Mar 16, 2005
The booby hatch
The bottleneck when watching HD video on your computer is the data transmission from its stored location into ram for playback. I doubt your video hardware is having trouble rendering the image, if your player even supports Directx overlays... its likely you do not have enough available memory to keep a large enough cache and so the program has to pull the data from the harddrive in real time, and no hard drive in the world can handle that type of throughput, save for maybe ultra expensive solid state drives.
Well, time to see what adding a third stick does. Thanks for the advice.

GuOD

mcflurry diet
May 19, 2003
Toronto
probably CPU

I only have a cheapo 2gb ram kit and it plays 1080p fine.. and video cards wont make a diff it's only 2d

CodeX

probably CPU

I only have a cheapo 2gb ram kit and it plays 1080p fine.. and video cards wont make a diff it's only 2d

I thought mkv was uncompressed? CPU would only come into play if the software is decompressing in real time or something like that I would think... you might be right though, but even then I would think a 2.8ghz chip would handle 720p

And about the video card thing, a lot of media players render via a directx overlay to take advantage of hardware acceleration

Doomsday

XXX
Mar 14, 2000
Minnesota
My HTPCs are dropping frames when playing 720p mkv files.

HTPC1: AMD LE1660 2.8GHz Lima CPU, Biostar K8M800 motherboard, 2x1GB Kingston DDR2-667 RAM, 1TB Barracuda HDD, ATi 8500 video card

HTPC2: Same as 1 but a 500GB Barracuda HDD and an ATi 9700 Pro video card

Do the video cards have anything to do with playback performance?

decoding HD content needs a lot of processing power.
it will stress even the modern CPUs.
check your CPU load while watching.

now,... ATI has this thing called AVIVO HD. Nvidia calls theirs PureVideo HD.
having these will offload decoding jobs to the vid card to help the CPU.
I don't think your cards have this.

without it, paired with a single core cpu = fail

and then there's codecs and the player you use.

Doomsday

XXX
Mar 14, 2000
Minnesota
I thought mkv was uncompressed? CPU would only come into play if the software is decompressing in real time or something like that I would think... you might be right though, but even then I would think a 2.8ghz chip would handle 720p

And about the video card thing, a lot of media players render via a directx overlay to take advantage of hardware acceleration

mkv is a container and can have compressed audio and video streams

CodeX

mkv is a container and can have compressed audio and video streams

Ah, didnt know that. I also didn't know that 720p would require more than a 3ghz processor :noes:

I mean, 1280x720 is much lower res than most computer monitors are capable of... and I can only imagine that simply dumping predefined video to it would be a lot less difficult than generating the image from meta-data (as in gaming) in a much higher resolution (1600x1200 and higher for most games).

I guess its all about the decompression that has to take place

eof

Jan 17, 2002
Ah, didnt know that. I also didn't know that 720p would require more than a 3ghz processor :noes:

I mean, 1280x720 is much lower res than most computer monitors are capable of... and I can only imagine that simply dumping predefined video to it would be a lot less difficult than generating the image from meta-data (as in gaming) in a much higher resolution (1600x1200 and higher for most games).

I guess its all about the decompression that has to take place

CoreAVC plays 1080p content fine on my setup ... Athlon 64 X2 5200+

Doomsday

XXX
Mar 14, 2000
Minnesota

that's not what I said.
HD playback is indeed CPU intensive, but if you do have sw/hw decoding assistance,.... CPU won't matter much.

that's why I asked him to check the cpu, vid cards, codecs & player.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec