ART Dropped my 5DII in the creek.

ASIGN_Baz

Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Fright of my life!!

Pulled up on the bank in my kayak... took the 5DII on a tripod and placed it on the sand...gave it a little wiggle to settle it and stepped out of the kayak....turned around and heard...KERSPLASH!!..Whipped around and grabbed it from a full submerse. Shook it off, wiped it got six or 7 shots out of it and it all went downhill from there.

I had a weather sealed 16-35L on, so no water got in through the front thank the Lord!

First thing to go was AF...then top scroll wheel became intermittently unresponsive..then the back scroll wheel would scroll forward, but not back...then the other buttons stopped responding, then the screen went black....

I was panicking now!!!

I paddled straight back over the creek and pulled the camera apart on a towel. Batteries out, grip off, lens off, compartment flaps all open, CF card out. Dried them all then spent the next three hours as a passenger in the 4WD in front of the heater vent, getting the camera and grip hot and drying it out. There was also water under the top screen, so I removed it and dried it out then replaced it.

Slowly, but surely, each time I put it back together and tried it, things started working again. There was a LOT of water coming out of the dual control zoom buttons of the grip!

Finally, now it is all working again. The water was crystal clear clean mountain water with no mud.

Should I just leave it open for a few days in warm dry room or should I send it in for repair/inspection? Any advice gents?

Baz.

May 29, 2001
Sheridan, WY
another vote for rice. Make sure the batteries are out. Put it in a tupperware or something completely covered in rice or silica gel if you can get it.

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Electricity is what kills it. It's the conductivity of the water that shorts it out. When something electronic gets wet, remove the batteries immediately. Never power up.

Past that, I agree with all the other suggestions.

Pikel

May 25, 2003
PNW
Electricity is what kills it. It's the conductivity of the water that shorts it out. When something electronic gets wet, remove the batteries immediately. Never power up.

Past that, I agree with all the other suggestions.
That was what I thought too. If it gets real wet, don't test it... immediately pop out the battery :o

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
yup, fact is the damage could already be done since he turned it on or it was on when it got wet..

but rice/silica gel will at least get rid of any/all moisture left in it.

dmora

Did you have insurance? Everyone should have insurance on their gear. Accidents happen. :hs:

itr452

VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?
May 15, 2000
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I work for an insurance company as an adjuster, for things like that, i'd usually replace whatever was dropped in the water. People get really worried that there's no warranty if we pay to get it fixed. It just becomes a huge headache for the insured and adjuster when we get things repaired.

All he'd be out is his deductible, unless he scheduled his camera equipment.

dmora

I work for an insurance company as an adjuster, for things like that, i'd usually replace whatever was dropped in the water. People get really worried that there's no warranty if we pay to get it fixed. It just becomes a huge headache for the insured and adjuster when we get things repaired.

All he'd be out is his deductible, unless he scheduled his camera equipment.

:werd: My policy covers me world wide for theft, accidents, acts of god. And just replaces it for the value it was insured at.

TS
TS
ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz

Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Thanks blokes. Yes, I am insured, so I will continue to dry it out using the methods suggested. We are in a wet season here so I will keep it inside near the heaters away from the damp and cold outside for now. I have a shoot tomorrow so hopefully all will be well by then.

I emailed my insurance broker today and gave him the full story and a "just-in-case" plea. He said he's got my back.

As I do a lot of stuff around water, perhaps I should get myself a waterproof cover for the camera huh?

Baz.

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
waterproof cases are BIG bucks..

if they were reasonably priced i'd buy one tomorrow.. i love taking pics while diving, just wish i could afford it..

a tray, case, and strobes is like $3500 :wtc:

then again, that is for diving, not taking pics around rivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448