Dusty’s Budgeting Thread

Dusty Busterson

OT Supporter
Sep 19, 2007
Las Vegas
Alight OT, y’all helped me to get a job, can I get some insights into where I could be saving money and tell me if we should keep the other car we got, or can we save elsewhere?

We bought a 2018 Chevy Equinox LT through Carvana two weeks ago, because we needed a second car with my wife’s changing work schedule, works til 8 pm now instead of 5 pm. My parents aren’t always available

However it looks like we may have to get rid of it after all, it’s costing us nearly $800 a month. It’s still within 30 days, I’ll have to look at their return policy.

First car purchased completely on my income and credit:hs:
F24633DD-459D-461E-8626-0EFAA666D4F1.jpeg
88C15993-341F-449A-BF23-147CD5F9DDD2.jpeg

Income: $2,810 + $1,970 = $4,780

Expenses:

VW payment: $481 on the 14th each month

Phone: $270 auto pay on 20th each month

Car insurance: $364 on the 19th each month

Rent: $1,680 on the 1st each month

Electric: $120 on the 23rd each month

Internet: $113 on the 20th each month

Wife gas: $160

Grocery: $400

Weed: $60

Amazon prime: $13 on the 7th each month

Disney: $9 on the 6th each month

Netflix: $15 on the 8th each month

Peacock: $5.13 on the 23rd of each month.

Xbox: $16 on the 21st each month

Banner Health: $26.75 on the 19th each month

Apple: $20

Spotify: $13

Hulu: $13

Chevy payment: $435 the 31st or 30th each month

Furniture: $120 on the 1st each month

My gas: $60

Total expense: $4,393.88

Left: $386.12

Yeah that’s not going to work at all, and we had originally calculated we would have over $500 left even with the car, or we wouldn’t have bought it. Are we both calculating wrong somewhere?

Last edited:
TS
TS
Dusty Busterson

Dusty Busterson

OT Supporter
Sep 19, 2007
Las Vegas
Why did you buy a second car when you work from home? What is wrong with you
I knew this would be the biggest question here, we didn’t really see any other choice when having to go to appointments or do anything “extra” like that while my wife is at work.

I wanted to buy a cheap used car for cash, but “it would just have problems” and wife only wanted to buy newer.

There’s still time to get out of it if we have to. But having only one car isn’t going to work for us.

Leonard Washington

OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004
I knew this would be the biggest question here, we didn’t really see any other choice when having to go to appointments or do anything “extra” like that while my wife is at work.

I wanted to buy a cheap used car for cash, but “it would just have problems” and wife only wanted to buy newer.

Then you coordinate with your parents or you Uber or you take a fucking bus dude. $500 a month on car payment, insurance, fuel etc etc for “maybe” appointments or “extras”that might happen every few months. Drive your wife to work when you have shit to do. It’s not fucking hard

Seriously at this point you can’t be helped.

T_Dawgg

Escape Goat
May 6, 2001
vancity
But really, cancel all of these, you're too poor to afford them:

Weed: I calculated $250 into here, actual amount is more like $60 since I’ve quit smoking daily since starting new job.
Hbo max: $15 on the 26th each month
Xbox Game Pass: $16 on the 21st each month
Unlimited carwash membership: $20 on 14th

And sell your second car you moron.

Leonard Washington

OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004

Weed: I calculated $250 into here, actual amount is more like $60 since I’ve quit smoking daily since starting new job.

Yup. All of those need to go. Every single one.

Car wash membership :bowrofl:

GonadWarrior

May 11, 2001
Why did you buy a second car when you work from home? What is wrong with you?

This is fucking insanity. You’re in your fucking LATE THIRTIES and have no idea how to handle money what the fuck

10% interest rates sweet gentle baby Jesus

this and this

You're insane

nadroj

OT Supporter
Sep 2, 2004
Houston

There’s still time to get out of it if we have to. But having only one car isn’t going to work for us.

How close are you to the extra stuff? Would public transport or Uber be an option? Could take a lot of Uber rides for the loan/ins monthly costs

How many phones is that? Seems high in just 2 any reason you couldn’t move to mint/cricket?

Reactions: cASe SenSiTive

Buzz Killington

𝖕𝖊𝖈𝖈𝖆𝖛𝖎

Bro this is not a flex but I make MULTIPLES more than your total household income and I drive a 24 year old Volvo. I drive it to the gym, errands, and the occasional roadtrip. An old Camry or Accord would have been fine for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza